Extremely Rare Picture of an Indian Lady in Royal Navy Uniform.

SADAKHUSH

Country flag
I take this opportunity to thank you for posting the pictures. It is for the first time in my life that I have learned about the contribution made by our daughters of Bharatvarsh. I wonder if we had women serving in Army and Air Force during second world war.

lemontree

Professional
Great pictures. I really did not known of the role of Indian women in WW2. Quite and eye opener for me.

indian_sukhoi

I thought women in Royal Indian armed forces used to serve only in hospitals has nusrses!!

sob

Mod
Country flag
Truly an eyeopener for me. considering the conservative nature of society back then, it is great to see Women not only in the Medical and the Signals corp but also involved in the maintenance of Guns.

bhramos

Country flag

Indian women labourers, engaged in airfield construction work, pass mechanics working on a Royal Air Force Consolidated Liberator bomber at a base in Bengal.

bhramos

Country flag
A British sister instructs an Indian nurse how to adjust a doctor's mask at a first aid post in Calcutta.

bhramos

Country flag
Portrait of WRIN (Women's Royal Indian Naval Service) auxiliary S D Bhagvat during a visit of Vice Admiral J H Godfrey to the WRNS signal school at Bombay, 1945.

bhramos

Country flag
One Indian woman of special note was Noor Inayat Khan.

She became a special agent for Britain, working with the French resistance. She was finally captured by the Gestapo and executed at Dachau Concentration Camp.

W.G.Ewald

Defence Professionals/ DFI member of 2
Professional
One Indian woman of special note was Noor Inayat Khan.

She became a special agent for Britain, working with the French resistance. She was finally captured by the Gestapo and executed at Dachau Concentration Camp.
Noor Inayat Khan Memorial Trust

Noor Inayat Khan Memorial Trust
Noor Inayat Khan, a descendant of the legendary Tipu Sultan, was a secret agent in the Second World War. She was infiltrated into France by the Special Operations Executive (SOE), Churchill's secret organisation that sought to "set Europe ablaze".

Armed with only a false passport and a pistol, the beautiful and gentle Noor became the first woman radio operator to be sent to occupied Paris.

However, she was betrayed and captured by the Germans. Despite being repeatedly tortured and interrogated, she revealed nothing. She was executed by an SS officer on September 13, 1944, at Dachau Concentration Camp. She was only 30.

Britain posthumously awarded her the George Cross for her extraordinary bravery, and France honoured her with the Croix de Guerre.

Last edited:

annumatthew

Country flag
Extremely Rare Picture of an Indian Ladies in Royal Navy Uniform.

Extremely Rare Picture of an Indian Lady in Royal Navy Uniform.

Chief Officer Margaret L Cooper, Deputy Director of the Women's Royal Indian Naval Service (WRINS), with Second Officer Kalyani Sen, WRINS at Rosyth during their two month study visit to Britain, 3rd June 1945.
Would you know the source of this image and if it is in the public domain? Thanks

Latest Replies

Global Defence

New threads

Articles