Ex-air chief accuses Mush of 'kickbacks' in jet deal

chandrahass

Professional
ISLAMABAD: Former Pakistani president Pervez Musharraf has been accused by a former air force chief of “ruining” a $1.2 billion deal for
acquiring surveillance aircraft from Sweden’s Saab firm for “possible kickbacks”.

Former Air Chief Marshal Saadat Kaleem has claimed that despite the Pakistan Air Force’s opposition, Musharraf put pressure on the force to modify a contract to reduce the number of surveillance aircraft to be purchased from Saab from six to four and to include two Chinese systems.

The contract originally envisaged the purchase of six Saab airborne warning and surveillance systems and a Saab 2000 aircraft for VIP flights. Kaleem said Musharraf “personally exerted pressure on him” to modify the contract. Kaleem said he was opposed to this because of objections raised by PAF experts on technical grounds.

http://timesofindia.indiatimes.com/...h-of-kickbacks-in-jet-deal/articleshow/444200

well well IS PAF ex Cheif saying that Chinese Systems are crap !!!! This will make there masters livid for sure

Soham

DFI TEAM
Country flag
I guess they want a heavier system.
They wanted the Israeli Phalcon, but the deal was blocked in 2000.

Secondly, they had to go for the SAAB-2000 only because Boeing 737 AEWS was too expensive.

Pintu

Soham, I think you are right they wanted AWACS based on a heavier platform, and also it seems to me to doing that Musharraf clearly tried undermine quality as Chinese AWACS are far behind in comparison to Western one.

Regards

VayuSena1

Professional
IAI Phalcon was never meant to go to Pakistan no matter what since Israel would have ensured signing an End User Agreement with the PRC government. I suppose by what Gen. Musharaf did, he was trying to appease and gain the confidence of Chinese to ensure the flow of latest military equipment to Pakistan's forces. It is called "Military diplomacy by a country who has lost all other options". :)

Or at least that is what I presume it can be. Pakistan was never in any condition to even consider a deal so big where a substantial kickback could be expected. Besides, the military ratio to citizen in Pakistan is much higher than in our country and therefore Musharaf could have though on acquiring slightly inferior yet significant quantities. It is of course just an opinion here.

Pardon me for my rough, open and unprofessional commenting style, but I feel that it is better that a true statement hits them on their faces to wake them up rather than polite lies that keeps them considering themselves a superpower terror for their adversary i.e, us. Regards.

chandrahass

Professional
IAI Phalcon was never meant to go to Pakistan no matter what since Israel would have ensured signing an End User Agreement with the PRC government. I suppose by what Gen. Musharaf did, he was trying to appease and gain the confidence of Chinese to ensure the flow of latest military equipment to Pakistan's forces. It is called "Military diplomacy by a country who has lost all other options". :)

Or at least that is what I presume it can be. Pakistan was never in any condition to even consider a deal so big where a substantial kickback could be expected. Besides, the military ratio to citizen in Pakistan is much higher than in our country and therefore Musharaf could have though on acquiring slightly inferior yet significant quantities. It is of course just an opinion here.

Pardon me for my rough, open and unprofessional commenting style, but I feel that it is better that a true statement hits them on their faces to wake them up rather than polite lies that keeps them considering themselves a superpower terror for their adversary i.e, us. Regards.

Not Rough Pal , In Fact This is truth 100% crystal clear truth . Pakistan could never afford PHALCON . Even If they would have . Israel would never give it to some body who is close to arabs and has no diplomatic relations with Israel.

Moreover US would never allow this to go to pakistan due to chinese copy paste factor that 's why Phalcon sale to chinese was blocked by Amrikans .

and what can u say pakistan desire ... They dream of F-22 's in name of war on terror and why not ...they get everything for free in baksheesh .

Latest Replies

Global Defence

New threads

Articles