European leader urged to help Chinese dissidents

Ray

The Chairman
Professional
European leader urged to help Chinese dissidents

Reporters Without Borders, the Paris-based press freedom body, has urged the European Parliament president Josep Borrell to raise the cases of three imprisoned cyber-dissidents during his upcoming visit to China. They are Hao Wu, arrested in February and still not charged with any offence; Shi Tao, sentenced to 10 years jail in April for posting on foreign websites an official memo that warned journalists of the dangers of social destabilisation on the 15th anniversary of the Tiananmen Square massacre; and Yang Zili, arrested in April 2001 and jailed for eight years for "subverting state authority" by writing articles advocating political liberalism. According to the RWP letter to Borrell, 51 cyber-dissidents and 32 journalists are currently imprisoned in China. (Via Reporters sans frontières - INTERNET)
European leader urged to help Chinese dissidents | Media | The Guardian
I wonder if China would take all attempt to overturn their verdicts as hallmarks to freedom of speech and thought.

The Chinese philosophy revolves around stability and harmony even if it is ruthlessly enforced.

They would sure take this to be interference in their domestic affairs and they will surely retaliate in words and action.

One wonders what will be the Chinese modus operandi to take this on.

Ray

The Chairman
Professional
Chinese journalist held over Christian protest story
Roy Greenslade

A Chinese journalist was arrested yesterday for posting reports on the net about an official crackdown on the country's Christian population. Zan Aizong was detained in Hangzhou nine days after posting a report on various overseas websites about the arrests of 50 Protestants who were protesting at the destruction of a church. Zan, a reporter with the local daily Haiyang Bao, posted a further report two days later about the authorities' attempts to silence him. He was immediately fired from his newspaper, which is controlled by the local authorities. (Via Reporters sans frontières - INTERNET
http://www.theguardian.com/media/greenslade/2006/aug/12/chinesejournalistheldoverc
This is how China build up on the philosophy of stability and harmony.

jouni

Personally I think arresting and harrassing reporters is counter productive, think about Vaclac Havel, Andrei Saharov... the oppressor always loses. If I was Chinese leader, I would start Glasnost like openness in China, open up slowly reform to multi party state. China is now economically very strong, Gorbatchevs Russia was very weak and that is why reforms failed.

China should take bold leap to this direction, open up and become even stronger than it already is.

Ray

The Chairman
Professional
Personally I think arresting and harrassing reporters is counter productive, think about Vaclac Havel, Andrei Saharov... the oppressor always loses. If I was Chinese leader, I would start Glasnost like openness in China, open up slowly reform to multi party state. China is now economically very s.trong, Gorbatchevs Russia was very weak and that is why reforms failed.

China should take bold leap to this direction, open up and become even stronger than it already is.
What you state makes sense, but not to the Chinese.

They do not allow any dissent.

Latest Replies

Global Defence

New threads

Articles