Eternal flames in memory of '71 Indo-Pak war soldiers

bose

Country flag
KOLKATA: The city has got its own Amar Jawan Jyoti ahead of the 44th Vijay Diwas celebrations.The eternal flame at Vijay Smarak, next to the entrance of the Eastern Command headquarters at Fort William, can be seen by all on Wednesday after wreaths are laid in memory of the soldiers who gave up their lives in the 1971Indo-Pak War.

"We have renovated Vijay Smarak. It has three columns to honour the Army, Indian Air Force and Indian Navy . The names of all the martyrs from the Eastern Command are now engraved on the walls at Vijay Smarak. An eternal flame has been lit at Vijay Smarak. People can see it after the ceremony there on Vijay Divas. The flame will remain lit 24X7 through the year. Vijay Divas has special relevance for the Eastern Command as we were involved in the operations," said Maj Gen A S Bedi, MGGS (IW), Eastern Command.

This year, 30 Mukti Joddhas from Bangladesh, led by minister Quamrul Islam, will visit Kolkata.They will be accompanied by six serving officers, including a major general and two brigadiers.There will also be officers from the Bangladesh Air Force and Bangladesh Navy . The Eastern Command has also invited Balamdina Ekka, widow of Param Vir Chakra recipient Lance Naik Albert Ekka and their son Vincent.

"We will have former Army commanders like Lt Gen (retd) HRS Kalkat. On Sunday evening, a military band will perform at Prinsep Ghat, which will be open to all. On Tuesday, we plan an interactive session between the Mukti Joddhas and our veterans. On Wednesday, after the wreath laying ceremony, the guests will attend a horse show at RCTC. The governor will be at the function that will include a sky-diving display and polo match," Maj Gen Bedi said.

http://timesofindia.indiatimes.com/...ndo-Pak-war-soldiers/articleshow/50156753.cms

Last edited:

bose

Country flag
My prayers for all my brave solders ... Wherever you are peace be with you...

In 71 I was a little kid of 5 years, I still remember the sirens blaring [sounding] and sudden blackout of all around at night... My Father used to tell me there is a possibility of air attack coming... Although nothing came of that sort...

Last edited:

asingh10

Post 1947, the largest Hindu Genocide was in 1971, East Pakistan and our good old amreeki friends backed it. Kissinger and Nixon even tried to get PRC to invade us. Sent the 7th fleet. They knew everything that was going on then just like they know what the terrorist state is doing to its minorities, Balochs, FATA people.

‘The Blood Telegram: Nixon, Kissinger, and a Forgotten Genocide’ by Gary J. Bass

https://books.google.com/books?id=9PnNZTp3BQYC&pg=PT123#v=onepage&q&f=false

Never forget.

spikey360

Crusader
Country flag
Only the Soviets came to our aid. A true friend. A friend in days of crisis.
Long live Russia and the bond of brotherhood between the people of Bharatvarsh and Russia!

spikey360

Crusader
Country flag
There should also be a memorial for the fallen of RAW and IB.
It is not only the armed forces who commit the supreme sacrifice.

Bornubus

Chodi Bhakt & BJPig Hunter
1971+india+pak+war+pictures.jpg

Captive_Niazi.jpg

.....................................................................................................................

Latest Replies

Global Defence

Articles