Erdogan says Muslims, not Columbus, discovered Americas

Peter

Pratik Maitra
Country flag
Erdogan says Muslims, not Columbus, discovered Americas - The Times of India

ISTANBUL: Turkish President Recep Tayyip Erdogan on Saturday said that the Americas were discovered by Muslims in the 12th century, nearly three centuries before Christopher Columbus set foot there.

"Contacts between Latin America and Islam date back to the 12th century. Muslims discovered America in 1178, not Christopher Columbus," the conservative president said in a televised speech during an Istanbul summit of Muslim leaders from Latin America.

:facepalm: :facepalm: :facepalm:

"Muslim sailors arrived in America from 1178. Columbus mentioned the existence of a mosque on a hill on the Cuban coast," Erdogan said.

Erdogan said that Ankara was even prepared to build a mosque at the site mentioned by the Genoese explorer.

"I would like to talk about it to my Cuban brothers. A mosque would go perfectly on the hill today," the Turkish leader said.

History books say that Columbus set foot on the American continent in 1492 as he was seeking a new maritime route to India.

A tiny minority of Muslim scholars have recently suggested a prior Muslim presence in the Americas, although no pre-Columbian ruin of an Islamic structure has ever been found.

In a controversial article published in 1996, historian Youssef Mroueh refers to a diary entry from Columbus that mentions a mosque in Cuba. But the passage is widely understood to be a metaphorical reference to the shape of the landscape.
:facepalm: :facepalm: :facepalm:

Peter

Pratik Maitra
Country flag
I am one of the few secular guys in DFI. I generally avoid the torrent of religious threads that are started in DFI. However I could not avoid pointing this man out. This religiously inclined Erdogan seems to take Turkey backwards. Turkey,the land of Ataturk was known for its tolerance and rationalism. Sadly Erdogan has other thoughts. Religious fanatics be they Muslim,Christian,Hindu or Parsi should be kept at bay. They are the worst threats to humanity.

P.S. @Mods I do not know if this is the right sub forum for this thread. If I have posted in a wrong sub forum I am sorry.

Last edited:

Ashutosh Lokhande

ppl like these are in almost all countries. it depends on the people of these countries how they take the msg.

pmaitra

I am one of the few secular guys in DFI. I generally avoid the torrent of religious threads that are started in DFI. However I could not avoid pointing this man out. This religiously inclined Erdogan seems to take Turkey backwards. Turkey,the land of Ataturk was known for its tolerance and rationalism. Sadly Erdogan has other thoughts. Religious fanatics be they Muslim,Christian,Hindu or Parsi should be kept at bay. They are the worst threats to humanity.

P.S. @Mods I do not know if this is the right sub forum for this thread. If I have posted in a wrong sub forum I am sorry.
Erdogan is from Turkey, so it should be West Asia forum. A tiny speck of Turkey is in Europe. So it could be in Europe and Russia forum. Erdogan wants to build a mosque in Cuba. It could be in the Americas forum. I guess I am going to move it to West Asia forum.

anupamsurey

Country flag
ha ha, if Muslims would have really discovered America then the USA would have been an islamic mess, seriously one should know his limit before burping enough to annoy every one.

LalTopi

Well if the guy was from Pakistan we would have no problem in knowing where to put this idiotic musing.
Maybe we need to expand the eligibility criteria for that thread.

roma

NRI in Europe
Country flag

well that was my initial reaction too

the guy is taking the nation backwards - again like you an open observation - once certain
philosophies take over, the system, any system, whatever system will go backwards.

i don think Turks were the kind of people to migrate , other than the labour classes in
the 1960's , to germany but now we are seeing students from turkey applying to migrate even to spain

if he continues to introduce irrational thinking into his repertoire, we can expect a decline for his nation.

Last edited:

sydsnyper

Country flag
Could be true. Did you know that the first creatures evolving to crawl on this planet were fanatical muslims....... evidence can still be found in their creepy brain-dead leaders.

Global Defence

New threads

Articles