Duterte retires from politics

Indx TechStyle

Kitty mod
Mod
Country flag
Philippines President Duterte announces he's retiring from politics at the end of his term
Philippine President's shocking warning to vaccine deniers

Philippine President's shocking warning to vaccine deniers 01:18
(CNN)
Philippines President Rodrigo Duterte said on Saturday he would retire rather than run for vice president next year, in a surprise move that sparked speculation over his political future, according to the Philippines News Agency (PNA).
Duterte, 76, is barred by the Philippine Constitution from seeking a second term after his six years in office, but he said last month that he would campaign for vice president in the upcoming election in May.
His plan to pursue the largely ceremonial post was criticized by rivals and many Filipinos as an attempt to maintain his political power and avoid potential legal action at home or abroad.
But on Saturday, Duterte accompanied his longtime aide, Senator Christopher Lawrence Go, as he submitted papers to register for the vice presidential ticket in Pasay City.
International court backs probe into Philippines' 'war on drugs'
International court backs probe into Philippines' 'war on drugs'

"The universal sentiment of the Filipino has been reflected in the different surveys and in many forums, caucuses, and meetings to discuss what should I do in my life," Duterte said, referring to opinion polls that suggested the public opposed his plan, according to PNA.
A June opinion poll showed 60% of 1,200 Filipino adults surveyed believed his vice presidential run could violate the intention of the Constitution, PNA reported.
"The overwhelming sentiment of the Filipino is that I am not qualified and it would be a violation of the Constitution to circumvent the law, the spirit of the Constitution," Duterte said.
"And so, in obedience to the will of the people, who after all placed me in the presidency many years ago, I now say, sa mga kababayan ko, sundin ko ang gusto ninyo (my countrymen, I will heed your advice). And today, I announce my retirement from politics," he added.
Manny Pacquiao says he will run for Philippine presidency in 2022
Manny Pacquiao says he will run for Philippine presidency in 2022

Since coming to power in 2016, Duterte has presided over a brutal "war on drugs" that has left thousands dead, and experts say his attempts to seek a loyal successor are aimed at protecting him from potential legal action, either at home or by the International Criminal Court (ICC).
On Saturday, Duterte wished Go "all the best and good luck in his quest for the vice presidency" after having initially accepted the nomination to ensure the "continuity" of his programs, according to PNA.
Duterte's announcement appeared to leave the race for president wide open, presenting a possible opportunity for Duterte's popular daughter to run.
Sara Duterte Carpio, 43, who replaced her father as mayor of Davao City and belongs to a different party, has given mixed messages about running, despite every opinion poll this year putting her as the number one presidential prospect, Reuters reported.
Boxing star Manny Pacquiao has also announced he is running for the presidency in next year's election, vowing to go after corrupted officials.

backburner

Country flag
i really like duterte ,sad to see him go , he was probably the only anti-simp politician in the world ,didn't care wheter the criminals or terrorists were men or women , treated them equally

asianobserve

Tihar Jail
Banned
Country flag
The Philippine Constitution limits the term of the Philippine President to 1 term. So for months Duterte has been trying to test the water for a circumvention of the term limit by running for Vice-President and letting his caregiver, Bong Go run for President. But most if not all respected legal minds in the country have declared that an indirect 2nd term via vice-presidential succession would still be unconstitutional. And I think that the military does not support Duterte's unconstitutional plan.

But I still will not easily buy 100% this drama of political retirement. During the last election Duterte keep telling everyone he was not running for President until during the last day of filing candidacy when he suddenly substituted himself in place of a front candidate. And the rest is tortured history.

If Duterte cannot run for President indirectly then he is positioning his daughter to run in his place. I will not discount the posdibility that his daughter will run and win. But she is a more palatable person that her father (not that I will vote for her).

The thing is Duterte is so afraid right now of the case filed against him in the ICC for ordering and condoning the killings of 6,000 to 27,000 (depends on who you ask) civilians by members of tge Philippine Police in the name if Duterte's anti-drugs war. The victims are exclusively Filipinos and were either mere drug users or small-time drug sellers. The most telling and damning aspect of Duterte's anti-drugs war are 1) none of the biggest Chinese drug smugglers were ever killed; and 2) his anti-drugs war did not stop the illegal drugs trade in the country from China.

But my fingers are crossed. The Philippines will be served best if China's man Duterte finally retires. A lot of our past Presidents were incompetents but none were downright crazy, murderous and pro-China [we have a historical anti-Chinese political tradition in the Philippines from the Spanish times, Cold War, until the Preaident before Duterte, Aquino (who was ethnic Chinese)].

SKC

Country flag
Its cute to see Celebrities running for Presidency and claiming to go after Corrupts and then start doing corruption themselves.

Lets see, there is no shortage of full time Politicians there. However Manny has huge following and a good image so far.

asianobserve

Tihar Jail
Banned
Country flag
Its cute to see Celebrities running for Presidency and claiming to go after Corrupts and then start doing corruption themselves.

Lets see, there is no shortage of full time Politicians there. However Manny has huge following and a good image so far.

Me and my brother had a private dinner with Manny Pacquiao 15 years ago when he was a new World Champion. It was arranged by a common friend. All I can say about the guy is he is so humble and a genuine person.

But I must confess I did not find enough justification to vote for him for Senator. I felt that the position was out of his league. And as to his Presidential aspiration, this one is even more out of his league. What I like however about his Presidential run is he has turned against his political ally Duterte in a totally unexpected way and in the process damaged him (Duterte) that nobody else could have done. I believe that Pacquiao's run will give the fractured opposition a chance by splitting Duterte's political base in Mindanao and Visayas (Pacquiao is a Bisayan from Mindanao).

We'll see.

Tshering22

Sikkimese Saber
Country flag
Me and my brother had a private dinner with Manny Pacquiao 15 years ago when he was a new World Champion. It was arranged by a common friend. All I can say about the guy is he is so humble and a genuine person.

But I must confess I did not find enough justification to vote for him for Senator. I felt that the position was out of his league. And as to his Presidential aspiration, this one is even more out of his league. What I like however about his Presidential run is he has turned against his political ally Duterte in a totally unexpected way and in the process damaged him (Duterte) that nobody else could have done. I believe that Pacquiao's run will give the fractured opposition a chance by splitting Duterte's political base in Mindanao and Visayas (Pacquiao is a Bisayan from Mindanao).

We'll see.
But don't you think that given the hard work he has put in to become the icon that he is today, he would be a good fit? After all, a fighter in body and mind would have the resolve to take tough decisions for the greater good. Since you say that he is also personally a humble guy, having him as a president could potentially inspire more young Filipinos to work hard for the country.

Just asking; you know your country better.

asianobserve

Tihar Jail
Banned
Country flag
But don't you think that given the hard work he has put in to become the icon that he is today, he would be a good fit? After all, a fighter in body and mind would have the resolve to take tough decisions for the greater good. Since you say that he is also personally a humble guy, having him as a president could potentially inspire more young Filipinos to work hard for the country.

Just asking; you know your country better.

I still believe that entertainers should do enrertainment, not govern. One, most entertainers are not educated or trained to handle policies and the intricacies of government. I doubt if they have a grasp on the important strategic considerations at stake. Second, and most importantly, due to their star power they naturally skew elections in their favor and towards shallow discourse whenever big entertainers join politics. In short entertainers levels dowb the political discourse.

Of course I do not discount their sincerity, at least some of them (most are in it for selfish reasons). Still when all things considered, entertainers corrupt politics. I do not like it.

SKC

Country flag

We'll see.
Celebrities often Believe they can change the world when they comes into Power.
But reality struck them when they get into office.

Only credible and significant Celebrity power was Ronald Regan who also got hounded by Democrats till now.

Jimih

Country flag

Only credible and significant Celebrity power was Ronald Regan who also got hounded by Democrats till now.
Super achievement of Reagan was, under his Presidency Soviet Union got broke up.

Reactions: SKC

asianobserve

Tihar Jail
Banned
Country flag

I just don't like how elections are heavily tilted in favor of celebrities and rational discourse abandoned in favor of simple gestures or slogans when cepebrities are involved. This is specially problematic in developing countries like the Philippines

Last edited:

Jimih

Country flag
Duterte may take a U-turn, if his plan of installing his daughter as President takes a backtrack.

Who knows, he may declare himself as 'President for Life', will the military support it? will have to wait and watch.

Once he is out of the office, ICC will hound him. He has to be vigilant.

asianobserve

Tihar Jail
Banned
Country flag
Duterte may take a U-turn, if his plan of installing his daughter as President takes a backtrack.

Who knows? he may declare himself as 'President for Life', will the military support it? will have to wait and watch.

Once he is out of the office, ICC will hound him. He will have to be vigilant.

He cannot and will not declare himself as President for life. There is no appetite for that kind of craziness in the Philippines from the military down to the majority of the political class.

The Philippine military is squarely behind the Constitutiin. Neither can Duterte rely on any groups/factions within military since the biggest one, Magdalo Group (which staged 2 major insurrection in the last 20 years)., headed by former Senator Trillanes, is his most vocal critic and nemesis. The other faction of military officers kbiwn as RAM is too old and does not have any substantial support within the military anymore.

ezsasa

Designated Cynic
Mod
Country flag
The Barkha Dutt of Philippines gets Nobel peace prize.
====
Congratulations to brave @MariaRessa on winning the #NobelPeacePrize2021, along with Dmitry Muratov. Have had the privilege of hosting a session with Maria at @TheMediaRumble a few years ago.

asianobserve

Tihar Jail
Banned
Country flag
The Barkha Dutt of Philippines gets Nobel peace prize.
====
Congratulations to brave @MariaRessa on winning the #NobelPeacePrize2021, along with Dmitry Muratov. Have had the privilege of hosting a session with Maria at @TheMediaRumble a few years ago.

I didn't know she won the Nobel price. It's a great achievement. This is really a protest award against creeping authoritarianism from otherwise democratic countries like the Philippines. All too often the media is being scapegoated by populist politicians.

asianobserve

Tihar Jail
Banned
Country flag
That was mostly due to Gorbachev's actions only though. Reagan was a far better Governor than President, I think.

USSR's economic woes and the restiveness of countries under Warsaw Pact were already so deep when Gorbachev came too power. He simply did not have a choice.

The USSR could not have survived the coming internet age without adopting semi-openness and quasi-capitalist policies like China (which learned from USSR's experience).

Optimistic Nihilist

Tihar Jail
Banned
Country flag
USSR's economic woes and the restiveness of countries under Warsaw Pact were already so deep when Gorbachev came too power. He simply did not have a choice.

The USSR could not have survived the coming internet age without adopting semi-openness and quasi-capitalist policies like China (which learned from USSR's experience).
That's the American version and hence not really correct. There's some truth in that, but not the primary reason, no.

ezsasa

Designated Cynic
Mod
Country flag
I didn't know she won the Nobel price. It's a great achievement. This is really a protest award against creeping authoritarianism from otherwise democratic countries like the Philippines. All too often the media is being scapegoated by populist politicians.
The first thought that came to my mind when i saw the news, she is being rewarded for mission accomplished. Mission being to drag down duterte.

Latest Replies

Global Defence

New threads

Articles