Duterte retires from politics

asianobserve

Tihar Jail
Banned
Country flag
The first thought that came to my mind when i saw the news, she is being rewarded for mission accomplished. Mission being to drag down duterte.

Maria Ressia put up Rappler, the online news site she founded with several other Filipino journalists, in 2012. She put up Rappler 4 years before Duterte decided to run for President. But even before 2014 Maria Ressa already run Rappler as a Facebook based news site. So no, she did not set out to bring down Duterte.

I think she had Ariana Huffington as a role model.

Regarding Duterte's woes, he brought it on himself. Maria Ressa did not order Duterte to murder the poorest of his own people in the name of fighting drugs when at the same time he protects the biggest Chinese drug smugglers, as in fact until now Chinese drugs smuggling into the Philippines has never bern stronger. Maria Ressa also did not order Duterte to surrender our EEZ to China. She likewise did not order Duterte to bungle Philippines' Covid-19 response.

So what you're saying does not make sense. It's like blaming the rape victim for being beautiful and attractive...

LaIllahaSigmar

Country flag
The Barkha Dutt of Philippines gets Nobel peace prize.
====
Congratulations to brave @MariaRessa on winning the #NobelPeacePrize2021, along with Dmitry Muratov. Have had the privilege of hosting a session with Maria at @TheMediaRumble a few years ago.

Why do you call her Barkha Dutt of Philippines?

People here mainly hate Barkha Dutt because of radia tapes, whitewashing of kashmiri jihad and idiotic 26/11 coverage.

asianobserve

Tihar Jail
Banned
Country flag

People here mainly hate Barkha Dutt because of radia tapes, whitewashing of kashmiri jihad and idiotic 26/11 coverage.

When Maria Ressa did not intervene to tone down the coverage of Rappler on Duterte's murderous drugs war, Duterte ordered his DOJ to file cyber Libel against her and she was convicted. I think until now the case is still pending appeal.

And Duterte did not only try to silence Rappler, he also bullied and brought down the Philippines' oldest and biggest media company ABS-CBN to the point that its franchise was not renewed by Philippine Congress, which is controlled by Duterte's allies, all because like Rappler ABS-CBN owners would not intervene to tone down its coverage of Duterte's drugs war and other shenanigans.

ezsasa

Designated Cynic
Mod
Country flag

because the tactics are the same, keep crying the same song against their political opponents for years and years. talking points of her and barkha are the same.
she had come to India a few years ago, for a debate. she failed to convince our desi audience.

if rajdeep had setup up his own shop, i would have called her rajdeep.

asianobserve

Tihar Jail
Banned
Country flag
because the tactics are the same, keep crying the same song against their political opponents for years and years. talking points of her and barkha are the same.
she had come to India a few years ago, for a debate. she failed to convince our desi audience.

Why shoot the messenger? These journalists are certainly not inventing stuff unlike conspiracy misinformation machines. That's their job to expose government's excesses.

LaIllahaSigmar

Country flag

About talking points being same.
Both the mudi and duterte are indeed populist, albeit of different kinds and to different extents.

Barkha and her cabal don't convince us because they keep searching for phasism in everything the mudi does.

And Modi hasn't done anything as brazen as duterte's war on drugs.

So imo we shouldn't compare it.

Could you give more examples?

ezsasa

Designated Cynic
Mod
Country flag
Why shoot the messenger? These journalists are certainly not inventing stuff unlike conspiracy misinformation machines. That's their job to expose government's excesses.
-Barkha gave out the location of artillery positions live on air during kargil war, which led to deaths of soldiers.
-Barkha & Rajdeep during reporting of one major riot instigated people to come to one location on air, by hyping a local incident. which added fuel to already worse situation.
The list is long for this cabal.

in your case, you don't want to scrutinise your co-ideologists so you won't know.

ezsasa

Designated Cynic
Mod
Country flag
About talking points being same.
Both the mudi and duterte are indeed populist, albeit of different kinds and to different extents.

Barkha and her cabal don't convince us because they keep searching for phasism in everything the mudi does.

And Modi hasn't done anything as brazen as duterte's war on drugs.

So imo we shouldn't compare it.

Could you give more examples?
and that's why barkha didn't get nobel prize. she failed in her mission. :pound:

the targets(Modi and Duterte) are irrelevant, the MO of the perpetrators(Barkha and Maria Ressa) is the same is what i am saying.

even if Duterte conducted himself as per expectations of @asianobserve , and Maria Ressa acted in a similar fashion i would have still called her out.

asianobserve

Tihar Jail
Banned
Country flag
and that's why barkha didn't get nobel prize. she failed in her mission. :pound:

the targets(Modi and Duterte) are irrelevant, the MO of the perpetrators(Barkha and Maria Ressa) is the same is what i am saying.

even if Duterte conducted himself as per expectations of @asianobserve , and Maria Ressa acted in a similar fashion i would have still called her out.

Ok. I get it now...

asianobserve

Tihar Jail
Banned
Country flag
-Barkha gave out the location of artillery positions live on air during kargil war, which led to deaths of soldiers.
-Barkha & Rajdeep during reporting of one major riot instigated people to come to one location on air, by hyping a local incident. which added fuel to already worse situation.
The list is long for this cabal.

in your case, you don't want to scrutinise your co-ideologists so you won't know.
I don't scrutinize while you scrutinize... okay

Tell me, what did Maria Ressa do wrong that you automatically find her offensive?

LaIllahaSigmar

Country flag

Barkha was a durbaari(elitist) sycophant and ideologue masquerading as a journo.

Did ressa have similar connection with previous admin of Philippines?

For Barkha and ressa to be same Modi and duterte have to be same, which is not true and is buying into westoid propaganda about Modi.

asianobserve

Tihar Jail
Banned
Country flag
Barkha was a durbaari(elitist) sycophant and ideologue masquerading as a journo.

For Barkha and ressa to be same Modi and duterte have to be same, which is not true and is buying into westoid propaganda about Modi.

This is an example of the reporting of Maria Ressa on the previous Philippines administration (Benigno Aquino):

Noynoy Flunks His First Test
The president's bungled handling of a hostage crisis exposes his weak political leadership.
By Maria A. Ressa
Updated Sept. 6, 2010 12:01 am ET

ezsasa

Designated Cynic
Mod
Country flag

You will not get apple to apple match, because political baseline is different.

tactics and talking points are same is my point.

asianobserve

Tihar Jail
Banned
Country flag

You will not get apple to apple match, because political baseline is different.

tactics and talking points are same is my point.

Check out the kind of reporting Maria Ressa does in the Philippines from the WSJ article I posted above. This article highlighted the bungled response that the Philippine President before Duterte (Duterte's political enemy), Pres. Aquino, did in the Hongkong tourists hostage taking.

Ressa was blunt then as she is now. That's her job. She's good at it.

ezsasa

Designated Cynic
Mod
Country flag
Check out the kind of reporting Maria Ressa does in the Philippines from the WSJ article I posted above. This article highlighted the bungled response that the Philippine President before Duterte (Duterte's political enemy), Pres. Aquino, did in the Hongkong tourists hostage taking.

Ressa was blunt then as she is now. That's her job. She's good at it.
do Duterte supporters/defenders get to write opeds in WSJ?

asianobserve

Tihar Jail
Banned
Country flag
do Duterte supporters/defenders get to write opeds in WSJ?
I have yet to come across a Duterte supporter's OpEd in any prestigious intermational news organization.

But Duterte has a well-organized and very rabid social media minions. They made him win in the Presidential election (with the help of Cambridhe Analytica, and PLA disinformation teams based in Beijing), harassed any Duterte critical social media account, and they were paid by Government funds...

ezsasa

Designated Cynic
Mod
Country flag
I have yet to come across a Duterte supporter's OpEd in any prestigious intermational news organization.

But Duterte has a well-organized and very rabid social media minions. They made him win in the Presidential election (with the help of Cambridhe Analytica, and PLA disinformation teams based in Beijing), harassed any Duterte critical social media account, and they were paid by Government funds...
so relish the moments mate.. good for you.

asianobserve

Tihar Jail
Banned
Country flag
I came across this 6-month old article.

Duterte says he’s willing to step down if military, police no longer support him

It's clear that Duterte's plan to circumvent the Philippine Constitution's 1-term rule is opposed by the Philippine military.

Indx TechStyle

Kitty mod
Mod
Country flag
Journalists essentially are ideologues upping their agenda (or doing it for money) just like me and you.

Difference is only that we are volunteers and they have made it their profession. For the sake of confirmation bias, they report from truth to a conspiracy theory. You are quite naive if you believe that any section of journos/politicians is sacred enough not do it.

Global Defence

New threads

Articles