DRDO to test Hypersonic Technology Demonstrator Vehicle

sayareakd

Mod
Country flag
India is planning to conduct the first flight trial of its Hypersonic Technology Demonstrator Vehicle (HSTDV) in the next 12 to 18 months, according to Defence Research and Development Organisation (DRDO) officials.

India is planning to conduct the first flight trial of its Hypersonic Technology Demonstrator Vehicle (HSTDV) in the next 12 to 18 months, according to Defence Research and Development Organisation (DRDO) officials.
The HSTDV programme aims to produce a hydrocarbon-fuelled scramjet test article capable of Mach 6-7 and autonomously guided flight. The HSTDV will pave the way for a hypersonic cruise missile and platforms that can perhaps be applied to other tasks, such as very high-speed reconnaissance.

According to DRDO sources, initial ground tests with the kerosene-fuelled scramjet (supersonic combustion ramjet) have been completed and the propulsion system is now being integrated with the air vehicle. Roughly 10 engine runs have been completed although the development team has yet to undertake a sustained 20-second burn, which is the operating time required for initial flight trials. This milestone will be achieved "soon", IHS Jane's was told. This contradicts some previous reports that stated the 20-second mark had already been reached.

From its main facility at Hyderabad, the DRDO's Defence Research and Development Laboratory (DRDL) is responsible for the programme's current phases.
http://www.janes.com/products/janes...1065972680&channel=defence&subChannel=systems

A chauhan

"अहिंसा परमो धर्मः धर्म हिंसा तथैव च: l"
Country flag
That's good but I'll take it as 36 months !

sayareakd

Mod
Country flag
actually project head needed some 100 engineers and 200 technicians, but he was not given free hand. That is why delay. Yeah one more thing he has to work on shoe string budget, with babus putting red tape all over the project finances.

p2prada

Will most probably be dropped from a Russian bomber.

EDIT: or a rocket for the boost phase.

Last edited:

agentperry

im sure of just one thing that once launched it will prompt only one response from pakistan that they already possess it and its in safe bunker, it will be used only in case of war. and dispelling the conspiracy theories pakistanis will come up with bizarre claim that suparco is coming up with similar rocket for launching pakistani satellite which will be biggest of all satellites

sayareakd

Mod
Country flag
it will be our global bomber, no place would be unreachable, ICBM will be obsoleted tech, if this inducted into service with our forces.

sayareakd

Mod
Country flag
I wonder what it will look like i have seen many different designs.
LF now three different projects with same tech.

1. ISRO: Two stage vehicle
2. DRDO: HSTDV
3. Brahmos Corp: Brahmos 2.

If you want to be tech leader, then R&D is only way to go.

Armand2REP

CHINI EXPERT
Country flag
Will most probably be dropped from a Russian bomber.

EDIT: or a rocket for the boost phase.
France is using the Tu-22M and Kitchen missile as our scramjet carrier vehicle. They have plenty surplus.

p2prada

France is using the Tu-22M and Kitchen missile as our scramjet carrier vehicle. They have plenty surplus.
Yeah. I expect us to go the same way if we want to test it at a lower altitude. But we can always use a rocket too.

Don't know if that makes a difference.

Armand2REP

CHINI EXPERT
Country flag
Yeah. I expect us to go the same way if we want to test it at a lower altitude. But we can always use a rocket too.

Don't know if that makes a difference.
The difference is cost. Do you rent an existing platform on sale for pennies that only requires slight modification or do you design and build an entirely new launch system? Our test is single digit millions, a new launch vehicle designed from scratch is double digit millions.

p2prada

The difference is cost. Do you rent an existing platform on sale for pennies that only requires slight modification or do you design and build an entirely new launch system? Our test is single digit millions, a new launch vehicle designed from scratch is double digit millions.
Though in India's case it will be in single digit millions including the launcher too. R&D costs advantage. :cool2:

Anyway when I used the word difference I meant test conditions. For eg: The Waverider was released at 15Km and it climbed to 21Km. HSDTV would climb to 32.5Km.

So, "different" test conditions to achieve different results, maybe. So, I don't know.

Last edited:

Armand2REP

CHINI EXPERT
Country flag
Though in India's case it will be in single digit millions including the launcher too. R&D costs advantage. :cool2:
If an existing SLV is used, it will be far bigger than what is required for a 32km test and cost tens of millions. If a smaller rocket is designed, it will still cost that much as the smaller SLVs have been out of service for a long time.

Anyway when I used the word difference I meant test conditions. For eg: The Waverider was released at 15Km and it climbed to 21Km. HSDTV would climb to 32.5Km.

So, "different" test conditions to achieve different results, maybe. So, I don't know.
A scramjet can be used up to 70km so lack of atmosphere isn't a problem. The higher it gains in altitude the higher the speed it can attain. It needs constant dynamic pressure so each altitude has different speed settings in order for the engine to remain in operation.

bkguptaz

If an existing SLV is used, it will be far bigger than what is required for a 32km test and cost tens of millions. If a smaller rocket is designed, it will still cost that much as the smaller SLVs have been out of service for a long time.
At this altitude & speed, the HSTDV needs to safely separate from the SLV. The mechanism is complex. This is how it is supposed to happen:
http://www.zeusnumerix.com//public/...s_CFD_Nose_Panel_Opening_Simulation_PR007.pdf

Latest Replies

Global Defence

New threads

Articles