DRDO, PSU and Private Defence Sector News

ezsasa

Designated Cynic
Mod
Country flag
Iam a public administration student and i must admit iam very much inspired by the charisma and integrity of Sir Humphrey.
Our teacher told us to watch that show.
If I become a coveted member of indian bureaucracy and an emoloyee of the state, I shall try my best to emulate the qualites of sir Humphrey to my best abilities.
yes, compared to american system of politically appointed bureaucracy, british system of bureaucracy seems to be more stable.

Hari Sud

Country flag
DRDO and it’s Drawbacks

If you have to name a few worst research organizations of the world, then DRDO will figure at the top. There are few reasons for it:

1. Too much bureaucratic bungling with IAS fools in charge of running the show.

2. It operates like any government department in Delhi where most urgent business is routine.

3. Excessive internal co-ordination or lack of it; where any changes either to the experiment or the procedure needs ten or more department’s approval. Hence each silo of approval wish to maintain its own supremacy.

4. Scientists once hired; no matter how inefficient or misfitting cannot be fired. Non performing scientists continue until their retirement.

5. A new dimension was brought to light that a bunch of inefficient or poorly educated candidates have been forced upon DRDO because of reservation fever in the country. These reservation candidates are mostly the best example of non performance.

6. Good work of the scientists is never rewarded. The seniors take away the credit.

The solution is simple; it is to be privatized. I do not how but it needs a private hand to run it where profit becomes the main factor to continue or discontinue any development work. The private owners will ask for accountability, efficiency and responsibility. Rewards are given good work. Government, if it wishes can fund a research and ask for results.

Shuturmurg

Country flag
DRDO and it’s Drawbacks

If you have to name a few worst research organizations of the world, then DRDO will figure at the top. There are few reasons for it:

2. It operates like any government department in Delhi where most urgent business is routine.

3. Excessive internal co-ordination or lack of it; where any changes either to the experiment or the procedure needs ten or more department’s approval. Hence each silo of approval wish to maintain its own supremacy.

4. Scientists once hired; no matter how inefficient or misfitting cannot be fired. Non performing scientists continue until their retirement.

5. A new dimension was brought to light that a bunch of inefficient or poorly educated candidates have been forced upon DRDO because of reservation fever in the country. These reservation candidates are mostly the best example of non performance.

6. Good work of the scientists is never rewarded. The seniors take away the credit.

The solution is simple; it is to be privatized. I do not how but it needs a private hand to run it where profit becomes the main factor to continue or discontinue any development work. The private owners will ask for accountability, efficiency and responsibility. Rewards are given good work. Government, if it wishes can fund a research and ask for results.
You forgot another one, they over promise like crazy. Any new project, they put up their hand and say :

1679900872938.png

Javelin_Sam

Country flag
DRDO and it’s Drawbacks

The way DRDO functions is more like DARPA rather than like a LM, Boeing or Tata. Private entities will burn their hands only when a RoI - Financial returns is possible. Even the behemoth MICs like LM, Boeing with deep pockets do the job once the funds are released from DoD.
In the current Indian financial and market cap context for a MIC, it is not possible to run a 'private DRDO'. At best a highly motivated Bharat Forge/ Tata is possible. And we have companies like VEM, Astra MW, Walchandnagar, LandT also working in the limited space. That too they prefer the production like works. The majority of R&D, which is less glamorous and more money burning - comes from DRDO, ADA etc.. The R&D effort and money required for some of niche areas like Missiles, Propulsion, Aerosstructures and Materials, Electronics will simply break the back of small-medium players. The giant ones like Tata/L&T will not commit to risky-ventures unless backed by DRDO(R&D) and MoD(money). Like the Arihant SSBN project and Tejas ecosystem

AnantS

Country flag
Mate whats absent is encouraging Startups like gridbots who are doing good R&D than screwdrivergiri projects of Bharat Forge. I cheered when BF/Kalyani talked about investing in establishing Artillery line and R& D in small turbines. Was happy chalo they got orders from M4 Licensed from Paramount.

But now what gets my goat is no Industrial house is supporting innovating startups like Newspace/ Gridbots/Tonbo. And Kalyani chose screwdriving some East asian unmanned tracked vehicle instead of supporting gridbots.

Chinmoy

Country flag
no you misunderstood me. I want ATAGS so pls make me happy by proving that it’s really for ATAGS so I have my happy moment.
There is a specific reason why I asked that.

Many people here have gone bonkers when it was mentioned in the RFI that preference would be given to the system with less then 15ton weight. But many have skipped the parameters which was sought.

BITE.jpg

15 ton is a preference, but BITE is a requirement. ATHOS, which is the strongest contender do have ATE instead of BITE. Infact BITE is a parameter found in mounted gun systems instead of towed. AFAIK, only M777 does have it other then ATAGS.

skunk works

Country flag
The way DRDO functions is more like DARPA rather than like a LM, Boeing or Tata. Private entities will burn their hands only when a RoI - Financial returns is possible. Even the behemoth MICs like LM, Boeing with deep pockets do the job once the funds are released from DoD.
In the current Indian financial and market cap context for a MIC, it is not possible to run a 'private DRDO'. At best a highly motivated Bharat Forge/ Tata is possible. And we have companies like VEM, Astra MW, Walchandnagar, LandT also working in the limited space. That too they prefer the production like works. The majority of R&D, which is less glamorous and more money burning - comes from DRDO, ADA etc.. The R&D effort and money required for some of niche areas like Missiles, Propulsion, Aerosstructures and Materials, Electronics will simply break the back of small-medium players. The giant ones like Tata/L&T will not commit to risky-ventures unless backed by DRDO(R&D) and MoD(money). Like the Arihant SSBN project and Tejas ecosystem
my friend, I wish DRDO was 0.1% of DARPA.

Aniruddha Mulay

Country flag
DRDO and it’s Drawbacks

Privatize DRDO so that they will also rebrand foreign stuff with an Indian name and with "Make in India" label.
200w.gif

Latest Replies

Global Defence

New threads

Articles