DRDO, PSU and Private Defence Sector News

ObiWanKenobi

Country flag
At this point I just want our defence industry and all of R&D establishment to make a slightly less flimsy wing for this thing
View attachment 197061
That's it, that's the epitome of expectation I've left for innovation
What? What's wrong with that wing?

I was super impressed with it, It's literally the only glide bomb with foldable dihedral wings that I know of.

Lonewarrior

Country flag
What? What's wrong with that wing?

I was super impressed with it, It's literally the only glide bomb with foldable dihedral wings that I know of.
It's not optimised.
In case of designs like these there are so many constraints like wings should fold, be short, decrease flutter so it becomes absolute necessary to optimise each and every bit of the design. American JSOW use lift generated from body to aid the wings.

There is only (common) one way to increase the lift form a wing; increase its area. Which can be done by either lengthening it or widening it.
Now coming to what's wrong
- the wings have way less area than the weight of the projectile demands; this is the reason why it bends upwards. It's not intentionally made dihedral; it's just struggling to hold the weight.

- the wings are not stiff enough; bombs like Spice 1000 also use long thin wings but you won't find this curvature on them. So in case of sudden maneuver the wing can snap.

- the effective lift gets reduced. Let's assume a wing generate 10kg of lift and doesn't bend.
IMG_20230318_152555.jpg

In this case when you'll resolve that force into its components then the vertical component will have 10kg of force and horizontal will have 0kg of force.
Now you bend that wing.
IMG_20230318_152546.jpg

Now upon resolving the force gets divided into say 8kg as vertical component and 2kg as horizontal. But this horizontal component of force is doing nothing except cancelling each other from each wing. So the effective lift now becomes just 8kg.

- commercial aircrafts also suffer from bending of wings but to counter this they already have a longer and tapered wing. So even after wasting some amount of lift it has sufficient to fly.
Eh, just give actual answer instea of taunting na.
Ab khush Chacha!?

I was also thinking to give a technical answer but don't know why this line "The scientists at DRDO definitely know more than you and me, let them take care of the bomb's aerodynamics and structural rigidity." felt bit too weird to answer in that way.

Just imagine one fine day Prasad Bansod coming up with an idea to make a sub-machine gun based on Glock. And the very next day ditching it thinking if DRDO has not yet developed something like this then it must be a dumb idea.
Would we had got the opportunity to praise ASMI?

Lonewarrior

Country flag

Wouldn't a gimballed warhead and seeker produce a same/similar effect?
They're not doing it to increase lethality.

As you very clearly pointed about gimballing the warhead; they could have easily done that. Before the advent of Kinetic Kill Vehicles on Anti-Ballistic missiles this was the way to neutralizing missiles.

Not just that but now even countries like US have directional fragmentation warhead (on VLSRSAM) where you can select the detonation pattern to increase the concentration of fragments in a particular direction.

They are doing this to increase the aerodynamic efficiency of the missile. So instead of having wings and fins and TVC and lateral thruster...they can simply point the nose to wherever they want to go.

WolfPack86

Country flag
So UP Police purchased 16 units of the Barrett MRAD 0.338 LM Sniper Rifle for its STF from Defind Enterprises (P) Ltd. for approximately ₹ 1.49 crore. DEPL was the lowest bidder among four competing companies: CMT (P) Ltd, NECO Defense Systems Ltd, and PLR Systems.

jai jaganath

Country flag
I still remember how Indian defence analysts tried to downplay TB-3...some indicated they copied Ghatak and some saw resemblance with SWIFT
View attachment 197167
Just three months and here we are

View attachment 197166
These unreliable self-proclaimed analysts are nothing but bunch of fools
Who write something and few people believe them
U copy something that exists not that doesn't exists

jai jaganath

Country flag
Many items have got dac clearance this week and most of them are very important systems
When will ccs be able to clear it as we are approaching end of fy and as usual armed forces will return the budget

sameer3694

After seeing the Hurjet prototype, only thing I can say is that Indian bureaucracy needs a surgical strike. It was designed by the British to run an extractive economy and after 1947 only the handlers of this bureaucracy changed but not the system itself. The same extractive, rent seeking and sarkari feudal mindset combined with a lack of urgency continues today.

Latest Replies

Global Defence

New threads

Articles