DRDO, PSU and Private Defence Sector News

Chinmoy

Country flag
Vehicle can carry 120mm mortar easily, that's also a thing to take in account. And mounted design also separate recoil from the vehicle so there's that too.

To me more like a doctrinal issue than the weight issue.
Weight of 81 mm shell is 4 kg compared to 13 kg of 120 mm. What is the weight penalty in that case? For one 120 mm shell, you could carry three 81 mm shell in simple mathematical term.

The design of the Mortar carrier is to fire it from ground instead of firing it from onboard. It means the hydraulics would have to strengthen keeping in mind the 5 times weight penalty. This in turn would increase the overall weight and signature of the vehicle keeping the mind the magazine it would have to carry.

So there is some valid reason to choose 81 mm over 120 mm.

Instead of talking about mounting a 120 mm on a LMV, ATTM like solution is much better.

ATTM.jpg

Chinmoy

Country flag
Its fail or succeed, how can you say that. In India defence related things are very secret.
I am not saying anything. I am just reiterating what people are saying here. If no official release of HSTDV means a failure, then the last A5 test should also be considered a failure.

People might not be paying attention that GOI has stopped giving updates of each and every tests off late.

karn

Country flag
Vehicle can carry 120mm mortar easily, that's also a thing to take in account. And mounted design also separate recoil from the vehicle so there's that too.

To me more like a doctrinal issue than the weight issue.
What doctrinal issue ? Infantry battalions employ the 120mm mortar in Siachen with no input from any arty formation.. This was around 2016.

Love Charger

चक्रवर्ती
Country flag
Mass of a 81mm Mortar with accessories is 45 kg opposed to 248 kg of a 120 mm mortar.

Have you taken this into account?
Yes sir I have. , And a mounted mortar should hit hard .
A 120 mm mortar packs more punch
Infantry can get on with their 81 mm ones and 51 mm ones

Chinmoy

Country flag
Yes sir I have. , And a mounted mortar should hit hard .
A 120 mm mortar packs more punch
Infantry can get on with their 81 mm ones and 51 mm ones
Yes. But you need a suitable vehicle for a 120 mm mortar. Have a look at a similar system.

Just pay attention on the vehicle they are using. They are not using a 1 tonner LSV for the system. In our case, we are using a 1 tonner.

Love Charger

चक्रवर्ती
Country flag
Yes. But you need a suitable vehicle for a 120 mm mortar. Have a look at a similar system.

Just pay attention on the vehicle they are using. They are not using a 1 tonner LSV for the system. In our case, we are using a 1 tonner.
But can't a 1 ton vehicle carry a 248 kg motar with ammo ?
I guess it can't , then why not get a heavier vehicle to mount it ?
A mounted mortar must be a 120 mm one , we have even mounted 81 mm mortars on carrier mortar tracked based on bmp 2 chassy, when a bmp for all purposes can even carry a 160 mm one .
But india is india .

jai jaganath

Country flag
I am not saying anything. I am just reiterating what people are saying here. If no official release of HSTDV means a failure, then the last A5 test should also be considered a failure.

People might not be paying attention that GOI has stopped giving updates of each and every tests off late.
I am saying it as an hitjob bcoz it's reported by Rajat pandit and I personally think he is very much critical towards drdo and isro

Chinmoy

Country flag
But can't a 1 ton vehicle carry a 248 kg motar with ammo ?
I guess it can't , then why not get a heavier vehicle to mount it ?
A mounted mortar must be a 120 mm one , we have even mounted 81 mm mortars on carrier mortar tracked based on bmp 2 chassy, when a bmp for all purposes can even carry a 160 mm one .
But india is india .
Someone once told me, "You can make a system doesn't mean you can sell it".

Lets look at the practical aspect of the system leaving aside the caliber. Range of a 120 mm mortar with HE M-44 charge is 6.5 km. Without that its 6 km. A 81 mm shell with level 8 charge is 5 km. So in all practical sense, you are getting a max 1.5 km range extension at the cost of 5 times of mass.

Now is this practical in all aspect? It might be in some situations like our western sector. But if you want to use it in Northern sector, the weight penalty would play a major factor while placing order. So you can mount a 120 mm mortar doesn't mean you should do it unless and until being asked specifically. As a tech demonstrator its ok. But as a final product, user input is a must.

johnj

1675083839484.png

The President of Guyana, Dr. Mohamed Irfaan Ali, has agreed to the purchase of two Dornier 228 aircrafts from Hindustan Aeronautics Limited (HAL), Kanpur. The aircraft is a twin-engine turboprop, highly versatile multi-mission maritime patrol aircraft manufactured by HAL for the Indian military and coast guard. During his seven-day visit to India, the President spent nearly two and a half hours at the Transport Aircraft Division of HAL, where he interacted with the officers and saw the CG-767 Indian Coast Guard 18-seater Dornier aircraft and others. the purchase of Dornier 228 aircrafts to replace the Guyana Defence Force’s aged fleet

The Guyana Defence Force (GDF) is the military of Guyana, established in 1965. The Defence force air wing was formed in 1968 and was then renamed the Guyana Defence force air command in 1973. The GDF already has its own aircraft, registered under civil aviation rules and regulations, rather than military as is done in several other countries. The Guyana Defence Force currently operates 24 fixed-wing aircraft and 24 helicopters. If acquired, the two 19-seater Short Takeoff and Landing (STOL) planes would be used for the movement of troops and supplies to military bases across Guyana, assistance with maritime patrols, and VIP transportation.
Guyana Defence Force to Buy Two HAL Dornier 228 Utility Aircrafts from India

Kuldeepm952

Country flag
Weight of 81 mm shell is 4 kg compared to 13 kg of 120 mm. What is the weight penalty in that case? For one 120 mm shell, you could carry three 81 mm shell in simple mathematical term.

The design of the Mortar carrier is to fire it from ground instead of firing it from onboard. It means the hydraulics would have to strengthen keeping in mind the 5 times weight penalty. This in turn would increase the overall weight and signature of the vehicle keeping the mind the magazine it would have to carry.

So there is some valid reason to choose 81 mm over 120 mm.

Instead of talking about mounting a 120 mm on a LMV, ATTM like solution is much better.

View attachment 191679
Have you seen the Mahindra alsv mortar carrier, how does recoil factor into that???

Kuldeepm952

Country flag
It would be fired from ground. So the recoil would be on the mounting arms and vibration would propagate to the chassis through it.
I believe the designers have kept that in mind and should be quite minimum. If it pass trials, all good.

AnantS

Country flag
Damn Solar Industries even webcams were hacked - were they using cheap chinese hisense kind of webcams? They lost very sensitive data, composition!!! What a stupid stupid company. Who keeps such sensitive information in a computer n/w to internet? Usually such systems are connected in their own secure intranet. Even ODC's doing R&D or such sensitive info in consulting companies have strict n/w isolated from rest companies n/w. Damn .. The blame is also MoD - who seems is not doing any security audit of such companies

Latest Replies

Global Defence

New threads

Articles