DRDO, PSU and Private Defence Sector News

FalconSlayers

धर्मो रक्षति रक्षितः
Country flag
Seriously? Fuk OFB. Can't even carry out such upgrades.
Lol its not specifically for India, they basically are foing to manufacture in India for India as well as export contracts, like how Israeli firms get their own stuff manufactured in USA for their own use and exports.

Arihant Roy

Country flag
Regarding the Vshorads , there are a few things to note.

FdqMqy8aMAYooo0.jpeg

FdqMqzJaMAE-Fsr.jpeg

Unlike other manpads missile designs, our mpmds missile round uses a unique propulsion configuration very similar to that of Nag ATGM. (Ground launched version ).

Here, the booster motor is at the back of the missile which kicks in after the missile has been ejected a short distance from the launcher . Then the actual sustainer solid motor kicks off and this is what propels the missile to its target . The four sustainer motor vents are arranged around the circumference of the missile body.

I am not very sure as to the advantages this configuration provides over the usual configuration.

Okabe Rintarou

Country flag

View attachment 173370

View attachment 173371

Unlike other manpads missile designs, our mpmds missile round uses a unique propulsion configuration very similar to that of Nag ATGM. (Ground launched version ).

Here, the booster motor is at the back of the missile which kicks in after the missile has been ejected a short distance from the launcher . Then the actual sustainer solid motor kicks off and this is what propels the missile to its target . The four sustainer motor vents are arranged around the circumference of the missile body.

I am not very sure as to the advantages this configuration provides over the usual configuration.
Isn't that a form of soft-launch? Helps hide the visual and heat signature of the launch position.

good point...btw this was the first test of the type r8?
Now that I think about it, only MANPAD with smokeless propulsion is RBS-70 NG. And it makes sense because unlike DRDO MPDMS which is fire-and-forget, the RBS-70NG is a beam-rider. And its heavier so launched from a fixed tripod. Meaning that the crew that launched the missile can't just fire the missile and scoot. They have to stay and guide the missile until the missile reaches the target. And even after that the heavy tripod based RBS-70NG will take time to move. This makes them vulnerable if their position is found out. Which is why for them smokeless propulsion is essential.
OTOH, for DRDO MPDMS, its a much lighter system (shoulder-launched) and the operator can simply fire the missile and then run away immediately 'cause its fire and forget. So it doesn't endanger the operator even if the missile is not smokeless as long as the operator scoots right after. All major MANPADs are like that. None are smokeless.

Jimih

Country flag

FdqoErSakAAC1k8.jpeg

Kuldeepm952

Country flag
Isn't that a form of soft-launch? Helps hide the visual and heat signature of the launch position.

Now that I think about it, only MANPAD with smokeless propulsion is RBS-70 NG. And it makes sense because unlike DRDO MPDMS which is fire-and-forget, the RBS-70NG is a beam-rider. And its heavier so launched from a fixed tripod. Meaning that the crew that launched the missile can't just fire the missile and scoot. They have to stay and guide the missile until the missile reaches the target. And even after that the heavy tripod based RBS-70NG will take time to move. This makes them vulnerable if their position is found out. Which is why for them smokeless propulsion is essential.
OTOH, for DRDO MPDMS, its a much lighter system (shoulder-launched) and the operator can simply fire the missile and then run away immediately 'cause its fire and forget. So it doesn't endanger the operator even if the missile is not smokeless as long as the operator scoots right after. All major MANPADs are like that. None are smokeless.
MPDMS is lighter than rbs70 but I am not sure this is exactly shoulder fired. It looks more similiar to mistral manpads in size and config. Or maybe it's shoulder fired, who knows unless production level fire control system, tube assembly is shown. Though I would say that this launch tube looks much bigger than what is needed to house that missile.
My bet is on mistral type system, afaik the original rfi years ago accomodated a mounted manpads system with atleast 2 ready to fire missiles.
Same thing with MPATGM, still to see a deployable fcr, tripod and launch tube and still to hear anything about induction.

On your point about it being leading to a missile for tunguska successor, I don't think that will be feasible coz you would ideally want a more capable system to succeed it and ground launched IIR missiles are not really known for their superior range. BIHO was already a stupid idea to purchase as it is nothing but similiar in capability to Tunguska.
Imo, we have all indigenious options available for SAM except the short range mobile systems which can replace both tungi and shilka, I hope drdo starts work on it, preferably something inline with pantsir.

Okabe Rintarou

Country flag
Following image shows MPDMS is indeed shoulder-launched as we can see that there is no tripod and yet there is a "gripstock" and what is behind it appears to be some kind of a pistol grip with a trigger. They are making this for Army and Army was going for Igla S which is also shoulder launched. So makes sense that MPDMS would be shoulder launched.

mpdms.jpeg

For a SPAAG, other than the Russians, literally everyone, including the Americans and Chinese build SPAAG with their MANPAD repurposed for the missile role in the SPAAG. And Pantsir is not that great a benchmark being CLOS, although that does lead to the missiles being extremely cheap. Eventually it will depend on what Army feels is the best.

Do you have links to the MPDMS RFI and the Army's SPAAG RFI?

Kuldeepm952

Country flag
Following image shows MPDMS is indeed shoulder-launched as we can see that there is no tripod and yet there is a "gripstock" and what is behind it appears to be some kind of a pistol grip with a trigger. They are making this for Army and Army was going for Igla S which is also shoulder launched. So makes sense that MPDMS would be shoulder launched.

View attachment 173392

For a SPAAG, other than the Russians, literally everyone, including the Americans and Chinese build SPAAG with their MANPAD repurposed for the missile role in the SPAAG. And Pantsir is not that great a benchmark being CLOS, although that does lead to the missiles being extremely cheap. Eventually it will depend on what Army feels is the best.

Do you have links to the MPDMS RFI and the Army's SPAAG RFI?
I am not sure about shoulder launch but there are higher chances of it, thats just a reference picture of Stinger manpads but need is of shoulder launch as they will be the most versatile in mountains . Though I am pretty sure that there will be a pedestal mount for multiple missiles, atleast 2 mentioned in past rfi.
Nah I don't have their rfi, just a recollection of it from my memory.
Interestingly IA is pursuing a laser beam riding manpads under make category and it is currently in feasibility stage, for details check army make projects on IA site.

mist_consecutive

Golgappe Expert
Contributor
Country flag
good point...btw this was the first test of the type r8?
A smokeless MANPAD will be a nemesis of all types of flying aircraft. But given none of the MANPADS are smokeless (except RBS-70, which is bigger in size), I think it is difficult to make a smokeless propulsion motor in a small size as that of MANPADS.

The side-vent configuration is designed to avoid back-blast, or the firing person getting fried by the exhaust fumes. Other manpads avoid this by employing some kind of "ejector" system which throws the missile 3-5 meters away and then starts the rocket motor.

I am no expert in this, but it seems to me adding an extra side-vent configuration might be unnecessary as it increases the IR signature as well as the cost.

Kuldeepm952

Country flag
Since hunt is on for replacement of air defense guns in IA, we should upgrade existing Bofors l70 in mobility, ammo feed, automation and smart ammo. It's better to use them as anti drone systems rather than storing them somewhere. 3P ammo for Bofors is already being pursued by IA.
Considering the amount of damage caused due to drones, proper drone defences have to be employed enmass at unit level themselves.
1664295296478.png

Latest Replies

Global Defence

New threads

Articles