DRDO, PSU and Private Defence Sector News

jai jaganath

Country flag
Delays and changes in decisions have affected the expansion of the Indian Air Force’s (IAF) minuscule fleet of AEW aircraft.

Three Embraer 145 Netra AEW platforms developed by the Defence Research and Development Organisation (DRDO) were built, and Shephard has learned a repeat order is in the offing for six more EMB-145s.

The DRDO’s Centre for Airborne Studies (CABS) has also designed a 360° radar system to fit on Airbus A330s. These would have complemented and shared commonality with the A330 MRTT, for which bids were released and then cancelled.

However, CABS’ detailed A330 plans have been put aside, citing high aircraft acquisition costs.

It is, therefore, back to the drawing board to turn six 20-year-old A321s into AEW aircraft called the Netra Mk 2. Five A321s were bought from Air India for around $25 million two years ago, but four remain parked at Hindon Air Base near Delhi and one at HAL.

Design work is underway, and discussions are on with OEM Airbus for structural modifications.

As one electronics engineer pointed out, ‘But Airbus cannot start work unless the design is completed. This project could take at least six years.’

Furthermore, Shephard has learned that the modification cost would be similar to the price of buying new aircraft. ‘This is penny wise, pound foolish,’ added the engineer.

S. Christopher, DRDO Chairman, said, ‘One of the dilemmas is delay. The E-145 Netra already has a “Make in India” mantra, learnings are there, and the cost of maintenance is low compared to the Phalcons.’

He added that the CABS’ A330 radome would have given 360° coverage and more endurance. Conversely, ‘The A321s may cost more, take more time and end up with 240° coverage.’

Challenges are many, including technology issues and semiconductor chip availability, but Indian industry is making moves. Controllers and transmit and receive modules (TRM) are key. Cyient-designed lightweight TRMs for the AESA radar are being tested.

Srinivasagopalan Rangarajan, Chairman and MD of Data Patterns, told Shephard his company was working with DRDO on subsystems and radars that would be ready in the next two years.

An official said that if the DRDO transfers technology to private companies, 'it will speed processes'.

The IAF also has three Phalcon AEW platforms, mounted on ageing Il-76 airframes.
Although I am a guy with negativity
But I could say this guy is exaggerating the issue
All 5 or 6 I don't remember perfectly a 321 are undergoing changes and other important procedures as reported by alpha defense
Yeah 4-5 years is sure but if we take decisions late then things will be late
Coming to 360° awacs we could get 2 more phalcons with Israeli radome
But again that thing is bit dilemma
But even 3rd Netra mk1 which is with DRDO can be transe

flanker99

Country flag
All 5 or 6 I don't remember perfectly a 321 are undergoing changes and other important procedures as reported by alpha defense
there's little official info lets see if we can get something new by defexpo....

Aniruddha Mulay

Country flag
I guess the 3rd Netra AEW&C with DRDO has already been transferred to IAF, or they are using it as necessitated.
As per Defence Decode, the first A321 Netra Mk2 is scheduled for rollout in 2023.
Lets see ehat happens, this article by Shepherd seems more like a marketing ploy to lobby for Wedgetails to IAF.

Kuldeepm952

Country flag
I guess the 3rd Netra AEW&C with DRDO has already been transferred to IAF, or they are using it as necessitated.
As per Defence Decode, the first A321 Netra Mk2 is scheduled for rollout in 2023.
Lets see ehat happens, this article by Shepherd seems more like a marketing ploy to lobby for Wedgetails to IAF.
Yeah, Boeing could be at ploy here. Though it still puzzles me the amount of time wasted when money is not sanctioned and we literally start working when the problem comes on neck. Decades of not modernising has lead us to this point where many of the systems have become obsolete, especially in the army.

omaebakabaka

Watch review of M4 by autocar, it will give you brief idea about handling characteristics.
If you are talking about bmw m4 then I had an M3 before granted M4 used to be coupe. Awesome car although mine was 8 cylinder, blast to drive none of that twin turbo. I never really liked the B pillar hindrance in coupes

AnantS

Country flag
If you are talking about bmw m4 then I had an M3 before granted M4 used to be coupe. Awesome car although mine was 8 cylinder, blast to drive none of that twin turbo. I never really liked the B pillar hindrance in coupes
Hahaha naa mate too poor to even afford to dream about beamer. Barely meet emi for compact economy car. M4 is name for Kalyani paramount vehicle

Marliii

Better to die on your feet than live on your knees
Country flag
Does any one know what happened to bhaba kavach BPJ that were to become the new norm for IA ?it were promising but now there seems no update on it 😶

jai jaganath

Country flag

DEV1729

Tihar Jail
Banned
Country flag
Ab yeh kya zhutiyapa hai
Chandigarh lobby asking for more bribes

fooLIam

Ab yeh kya zhutiyapa hai
Don’t follow print really.I keep my distance from such journos.
But in hindsight how much of incompetent and shameless our leaders must be that these upsc babus keep making fool out of them or may be they themself don’t care.:hmm:
Why can’t they make example out of these babus if they don’t fall in line. Slow pace of modernisation, even more slow is Indianization.

Latest Replies

Global Defence

New threads

Articles