DRDO, PSU and Private Defence Sector News

Echo1Charlie

Country flag
Old news but,
Tender apparently awarded to Zephyr aerospace. Does anybody know anything about the company?

So this IR sensor is for AMCA and we are concurrently developing a dual band IRST for Su-30MKI (and Tejas mk2, TEDBF etc)? Good!

Okabe Rintarou

Country flag
Tailless prototype seen here is not taxing but landing.
No its not. It appears to be so due to a weird camera angle. But after it has landed, you can see the tail clearly.
What I am talking about is not the video, but the picture. That picture first came out during the taxi trials months ago. For more info on why the prototype landing in the video still retains its tail after flight, kindly refer to my previous posts on this thread.

Okabe Rintarou

Country flag
That also means it can take off without vertical tailfin, so my assumption here is, the latest prototype is the tailless one which doesn't have or need tailfin for safe takeoff.
On what do you base the assumption? Only one video of the take off and landing has surfaced, and it is of the prototype that has the tail

Kuldeepm952

Country flag
This is interesting. It says for the "Mechanized Corps and Armoured Corps". So its not related to the recently ordered Mahindra ALSV and TATA IPMV, both were intended to go to units along LAC as "Infantry Protected Mobility Platforms". These were meant to form company-sized QRF with 10 each of Mahindra ALSV and TATA IPMV in formations in Ladakh.

But this is different since its not going to the Infantry. And its not the TATA Merlin LSV, but rather the older TATA LAMV which is being ordered? Does that mean these are being ordered for the Recce and Support Battalions of the Mechanized Infantry? Don't remember for sure but I think there were 6-8 R&S battalions. Out of them, some were to be equipped with the NAMICA and NAG (whatever happened to that?) and the rest were meant to be equipped with TATA Kestrel and 4X4 jeeps. The 4X4 seems to be what this TATA LAMV order is for. But 800 TATA LAMV looks a bit too much for just a few R&S Battalions. Also, what about the ATGM these are supposed to be fitted with? Is that not mentioned in the RFI? Does anyone have access to the RFI?

Tata Merlin lsv lost to Mahindra aslv I guess, design looks very similiar to each other, showing built for same purpose. Mahindra really benefited from their emirates division in designing armoured vehicles.
Imo for Lamv requirement, tata lamv doesn't seems like a good idea, space seems too low the house everything required.
Indian Cos should check consider making wider vehicles like tigr armoured car whose GVW is also light comparatively, more space never hurts.
1656754612194.png

There is kalyani M4 too but I would rather appreciate an IDDM product, good designing capabilities in both wheeled and tracked armoured platform is needed.

Okabe Rintarou

Country flag
Tata Merlin lsv lost to Mahindra aslv I guess, design looks very similiar to each other, showing built for same purpose. Mahindra really benefited from their emirates division in designing armoured vehicles.
Imo for Lamv requirement, tata lamv doesn't seems like a good idea, space seems too low the house everything required.
Indian Cos should check consider making wider vehicles like tigr armoured car whose GVW is also light comparatively, more space never hurts.
View attachment 162394

There is kalyani M4 too but I would rather appreciate an IDDM product, good designing capabilities in both wheeled and tracked armoured platform is needed.
True that Mahindra ALSV won over TATA Merlin LSV, but then again, the requirements for LAMV are different. Maybe TATA makes a new offering? Even among Type 1 and Type 2 LAMVs as mentioned in the RFI, the payload and crew requirements are different. So its not as if either the Mahindra or TATA's LSV offerings would be acceptable as is for the LAMV role. Lets see what they offer.
Agreed that they should try building wider vehicles. The length and width limits specified in this LAMV RFI are indeed much larger than Mahindra ALSV and similar to Tigr especially in width. Like you said, TATA and Mahindra will have to offer something other than ALSV or Merlin for this RFI. The payload requirement for the Type 2 LAMV is twice the payload capacity of the Mahindra ALSV.

Aniruddha Mulay

Country flag
View attachment 162394

I guess the Indian Army is planning to procure the Tata LAMV afterall, its pretty much a GAZ Tigr equivalent.
Mahindra ALSV is on the lighter side compared to the LAMV.
Back in 2008, 2 GAZ Tigr landed in India for evaluation, but nothing happened of that.
IA can also look for ALSV bigger cousin, the Mahindra LBPV which I guess is also being procured(some 250 units).

ObiWanKenobi

Country flag
On what do you base the assumption? Only one video of the take off and landing has surfaced, and it is of the prototype that has the tail
I can assure you no flying wing design goes on first flight without some temporary vertical find.

I worked on flying wings. Only after longitudinal flying qualities, landing, take-off are established do we risk taking the fin off.

Corvus Splendens

Country flag
@Chinmoy can you share details about the Safari GS Vehicle in use by IA? Specification's, features, engine ratings, etc.
Specifications of Safari Storme GS 800 Army:-

Manufacturer Vehicle Mileage -14.1 kmpl
City Mileage -10.8 kmpl
Fuel Type - Diesel
Engine Displacement - (cc)2179
Piston stroke - 96mm.
Bore - 85mm.
Max Power (bhp@rpm) - 147.94bhp@4000rpm
Max Torque (nm@rpm) - 320Nm@1700-2700rpm
Compression ratio - 17.2:1
Firing order - 1342
Engine weight - 235 kg dry.
Seating Capacity - 7
Turning radius - 5.40 meters.
Transmission Type - Manual
Boot Space (Litres) - 981
Fuel Tank Capacity - 63 ltr.
Body Type - SUV
Overall length - 4655 mm.
Overall width - 1855 mm.
Height - 1922 mm.
Wheel base - 2650mm.
Ground Clearance - 200mm.
Engine oil - 7.5 ltr 15w40.
Gearbox oil - 2.2 ltr 75w90 Synthetic oil.
Transfer case oil - 1.2 ltr 75w90 synthetic oil.
Rear axle - 1.68 ltr 80w140.
Front axle - 1.5 ltr 80w90.
Steering gearbox oil - 1.6 ltr ATF Dexron.
Coolant - 9 ltr (50% water & 50% coolant).
Clutch type - single plate dry disc diaphragm.
Out side diameter of clutch - 240 mm

Friction area of clutch - 451 square centimeter.
Gearbox type - synchromesh on all gears five forward one reverse.
Auxiliary gearbox type - Left hand drop transfer case, ECU control electrical shift.
Batery - 12 volt & 80 AHC.
Turning radius - 10.8 mtr.
Kerb weight - 2095 kg.
Gross weight - 2695 Kg.
Front axle permissible weight - 1280 Kg.
Rear axle permissible weight - 1470 Kg.

Okabe Rintarou

Country flag
Not sure how I feel about this. According to the much touted Field Artillery Rationalization Plan (FARP), all 105mm were to be phased out and 155mm was to become the standard. Back when this plan was formulated, we didn't even have domestic options for Ultra-Light Howitzers of the 155mm caliber. So we decided to go for the American M777 ULH. Such was the intensity of focus on standardizing around the medium caliber.
Now, we finally have Kalyani's 155mm ULH that is comparable to M777 in technology and weight. We could develop truck mounted versions for shoot-and-scoot. We have everything from 155/39 to 155/45 to 155/52 and can build it in any form: towed, truck-mounted or self-propelled. We have everything we need to achieve the original FARP plan.
But now Army decides to get the 105/37? What changed? Infra on Northern front is improving, so its not as if there are infra problems now that weren't there in the past when the FARP was drafted. And Army has been pushing for this 105 truck mounted howitzers since before the 2020 skirmish with China. So its not as if the increased deployment taught something knew to the Army. I am completely lost as to the reason why Army is sticking with a light caliber after deciding to do otherwise
Anyhow, that means all our bets about the quantities in which various Artillery systems were to be ordered is now off. The FARP called for 815 truck-mounted howitzers and 1500 towed howitzers, if I remember right. There was also the weird requirement of 180 "mounted gun systems" which appeared to be self-propelled artillery, but on wheels instead of tracks. So now what part will change? Are we getting the 105/37 in place of some of the 815 truck mounted ones or in place of the 1500 towed ones?
EDIT: Now that I think about it, it could be a case of low procurement budget causing Army to choose the frugal option: a vehicle platform already in large scale use in the Army mounted by a gun already in large scale use by the Army with the recoil system being a new design. So could this gun be the Indian Field Gun that is already in service mounted using Kalyani technology on a Tata LPTA 716 4X4 truck?

Last edited:

WolfPack86

Country flag
'HAL BETTER PLACED TO JOIN HANDS WITH ANY FOREIGN AEROSPACE MAJOR FOR MRFA PROJECT': CEO MADHAVAN
The government is moving forward to procure 114 jets for the IAF at a whopping cost of USD 20 billion, billed as one of the world's biggest military acquisition programs in recent years

NEW DELHI: Hindustan Aeronautics Limited (HAL) is better placed to partner with any foreign military plane maker to produce combat jets in India under the ambitious Multi-Role Fighter Aircraft (MRFA) program, Chairman and Managing Director of the state-run aerospace behemoth, R Madhavan, said on Sunday.

The government is moving forward to procure 114 jets for the Indian Air Force (IAF) at a whopping cost of USD 20 billion, billed as one of the world's biggest military acquisition programs in recent years.

It was initially indicated that the aircraft will be procured under the strategic partnership (SP) model that mandates a foreign manufacturer to join hands with an Indian company to manufacture major military platforms.

The top HAL executive also said the government should decide on the aircraft for the IAF under the MRFA project and it should be left to the manufacturer of the plane to decide on its Indian partner.

"With our infrastructure and experience, HAL is much better placed to join hands with a foreign entity to produce the aircraft. Definitely, we are looking at being the Indian entity for the project," Madhavan told PTI in an interview.

Asked whether the mega project should be implemented under the strategic partnership model, the HAL chief only said it should be left to the businesses to find their own solution.

"Once a decision is taken on the aircraft, let the manufacturer decide on its Indian partner and let them quote (the price) together. It is a possibility," Madhavan said.

"If the original equipment maker finds HAL to be comfortable to join hands with, let it come. If it finds somebody else, let them go there," he added.

In April 2019, the IAF issued an RFI (Request for Information), or an initial tender, to acquire 114 jets.

The top contenders for the deal include Lockheed Martin's F-21, Boeing's F/A-18, Dassault Aviation's Rafale, the Eurofighter Typhoon, Russian aircraft MiG 35 and Saab's Gripen.

Last week, Chief of Air Staff, Air Chief Marshal VR Chaudhari told PTI that the winner of the mega project will have to ensure the transfer of technology as it would be implemented under the framework of the "Make in India" initiative.

Madhavan also cited the groundwork between HAL and Dassault Aviation around a decade ago for the production of Rafale jets in India as part of negotiations for the procurement of a fleet of 126 Medium Multi-Role Combat Aircraft (MMRCA).

In the original proposal, 18 planes were to be manufactured in France and 108 in India in collaboration with HAL.

The final negotiations for the MMRCA continued till early 2014 but the deal could not go through.

In 2016, the NDA government signed a Euro 7.87-billion (Rs 59,000-crore) deal with France to procure 36 Rafale jets.

"We did a lot of leg work then. But it is not that we should look at only Dassault Aviation for the MRFA project. If they select Boeing or Lockheed or any other manufacturer, we are ready to join hands with any aerospace major," Madhavan said.

HAL is the producer of the TEJAS aircraft, which is a highly agile multi-role supersonic fighter jet capable of operating in high-threat air environments.

In February last year, the defence ministry sealed a Rs 48,000-crore deal with HAL for the procurement of 83 TEJAS fighter aircraft for the IAF.

The much-talked-about strategic partnership model allows domestic defence manufacturers to join hands with leading foreign defence majors to produce high-end military platforms.

The policy is aimed at reducing import dependence.

Initially, the strategic partners will be selected in four segments -- fighter aircraft, helicopters, submarines and armoured fighting vehicles or main battle tanks.

Latest Replies

Global Defence

New threads

Articles