DRDO, PSU and Private Defence Sector News

Chinmoy

Country flag

The Shrike

Country flag
VEM has a A2G rocket/missile in their product portifolio, don't think it has been prototyped or tested yet.

IAF/IA hardly have any A2G missiles other than helina & SANT, isn't it?
Actually I should not have written its ready, report only says it’s under tests (what ever that means) - the news was more about VEM opening a new manufacturing facility. They have been showing various missile mock-ups fro a few years now, but no info on trials etc.

Kuldeepm952

Country flag
Thanks for replying, i found it informative.Firstly you might have misunderstood me, i am not saying whether A system should have x range or y. Its about trying to understand why comparable system has varying range, whether it is for some technical advancement or marketing sorcery. A quick correction, i was comparing mpatgm to spike lr2 & mmpt which are claimed to be generation ahead of spike lr or javelin.
Regarding brimstone ii, it became clear to me from discussion on this thread that its range is comparable to sant i.e 20km, whether its same size of sant or not is not clear.

Speaking of sant, how does it acquire target, do we need an mmw targeting radar for it.
Not necessarily, SANT missile works in 2 ways, lobl and loal mode with guidance method being mmw seeker. In LOBL mode, mmw simply locks onto the target and homes into it, lock is obtained through slaving of seeker to EO pod, radar SAR or a mmw radar. While in LOAL mode you simply feed coordinates of target to INS of missile, missile flies to the target area, activates seeker to search in certain area zone, locks on to target and do its thing, INS feed is through EO or radar data.
There are 2 things I am not sure about:-
1) How does mmw seeker differentiate between let's say 2 tanks standing next to each other in LOAL mode as the data is not imagery but some radar return, so lch may designate target on left in LOAL mode but the missile may hit the right side target.
2) How does a pilot choose to retarget SANT when the received data is not an imagery but some radar return plot and hence targeting pop up targets based on priority is a problem.

However, SANT will be more reliable in acquiring armored targets in any kind of weather, even in sandstorms than the HELINA.

IMO, usage of SANT can be like a brimstone for IAF fighter fleet, if IAF is serious on providing close air support to Army to effectively take out armored targets from standoff distance even from low altitude outside short range air defense systems. Not many short range systems have range above 20-30km mark. Radar SAR & GMTI mode would be great for targeting.

Usage on current Heli is restricted to the capabilities oF EO pod. But the full capability of SANT can only be utilised by a MMW radar on heli which can search, classify and designate targets upto ranges of 10-20km. This will literally mean death to any armored formation
Army has a requirement for Heli FCR, but HVT from Hal said they have no plans for that, don't know if he is wrong. Two contradictions, so there is a chance that there may be a mmw radar in work or atleast planned for future.

Chinmoy

Country flag
But without ccs approval
How come?
First of all we have to understand the composition of DAC and CCS. Then we could understand which projects would go for CCS approval and which could be passed without CCS approval.

Composition of DAC is as:

Raksha Rajya Mantris (RRMs)
Chief of Defence Staff (CDS)
Chief of Army Staff (COAS)
Chief of Naval Staff (CNS)
Chief of Air Staff (CAS)
Defence Secretary
Secretary Dept. of Defence Production and Supplies
Secretary, Defence Research and Development
Secretary, Defence Finance
Vice Chief of Defence Staff (when appointed)/CISC
Special Secretary (Acquisition)

Composition of CCS is as:

Prime Minister.
Minister of Defence.
Minister of Home Affairs ,
Minister of Finance
Minister of External Affairs.

Now the difference here is, CCS committee consists of FM along with MEA. They do play an important role in capital acquisition. Let's say we are planning an A/C. DAC would give AON based on inputs from Chiefs of staffs. But the cost of making one is a multi billion affair. One year Naval budget is not going to cover the building cost of it. So after that it would move to FM for budgetary allocation. The moment it would move to FM, it would come under CCS. On top of that, any project where foreign OEM is involved in design, development or supply would come under CCS approval.

Any procurement above 300 crore comes under DAC approval. Now in this case of Swathi Mk2, budgetary allocation is right under what has been allocated for IA. Moreover there is no foreign OEM involvement in development or manufacturing of it. Another point is, its not an LTPP like an A/C. So DAC approval is enough for it.

Photon

Country flag
If its from Rajput class, it does have an inclined launcher for Brahmos. The most logical place from where VL-SRSAM would be launched is from S-125M launcher.
No S-125 is not launched from canister they are dual arm on-deck launcher and at least two rajput has Brahmose vertical launcher in the same position, inclined one not present in all

Latest Replies

Global Defence

New threads

Articles