DRDO, PSU and Private Defence Sector News

Vamsi

Country flag
The entire RISAT is either based in low earth orbit or sun-synchronous orbit. This give us limited window of opportunity to carry our ISR mission over area of interest. It also makes the moment of these satellite predictable.
With P8I we can have have detailed, continuous and real-time monitoring of Chinese occupied Tibetan territory at stand off range.
RISAT are perfect to monitor enemy's strategic assets but P8I are currently unrivaled in our inventory for battlefield monitoring.
I'm not talking about the RISAT or P-8I. I'm simply saying that we have the capability to develop a Air to Ground RF-Surveillance , which you said we were clearly lacking.

Dark Sorrow

Respected Member
I'm not talking about the RISAT or P-8I. I'm simply saying that we have the capability to develop a Air to Ground RF-Surveillance , which you said we were clearly lacking.
The fact remains none of these Air to Ground RF-Surveillance is operational and we are dependent on P8I.
People like to say we have this and we have that but unless these systems are operational and prove their worth we shouldn't say we have alternative.

In DFI, I have observed that people are over optimist where by they start comparing project in lab or in concept to operational system. Real world doesn't work in this way.

Kalkioftoday

Country flag
The fact remains none of these Air to Ground RF-Surveillance is operational and we are dependent on P8I.
People like to say we have this and we have that but unless these systems are operational and prove their worth we shouldn't say we have alternative.

In DFI, I have observed that people are over optimist where by they start comparing project in lab or in concept to operational system. Real world doesn't work in this way.
Herons are doing SAR mapping for us long before P8i. P8i are not the only source of RF surveillance for us, yes it's bigger radar provide better resolution but it's not the only operational machine that can do SAR mapping for us. Sukhoi, Mirage, Jaguar can also do SAR, ISAR mapping from a long distance

Dark Sorrow

Respected Member
Herons are doing SAR mapping for us long before P8i. P8i are not the only source of RF surveillance for us, yes it's bigger radar provide better resolution but it's not the only operational machine that can do SAR mapping for us. Sukhoi, Mirage, Jaguar can also do SAR, ISAR mapping from a long distance
The reason we are using P8I is because it is offering better capability and to some extent exclusive capability.
With Sukhoi, Mirage, Jaguar, etc. you can't do continuous, real time monitoring of enemy territory. It is not just the question of sensors but also processing the data to generate actionable intelligence in real time.
None of the above platform do that.
Their is a reason why Netra is designed with side facing panel. Such systems compared to front facing radar is that it can loiter for along time and can accurately scan huge battlefield area.

Last edited:

Love Charger

चक्रवर्ती
Country flag
So for the army MPATGM requirement the contest will be between BDL/TONBO vs DRDO. I hope that the former wins, creating a second source for the missiles.
What does bdl offer to the army and isn't it a production agency ?

Global Defence

New threads

Articles