DRDO, PSU and Private Defence Sector News

Kalkioftoday

Country flag
To keep an eye on PLA positions and mirror their deployment- has been used in Doklam & after Pulwama also.

I don't think we use APY-10 in our P8i. This is from the company itself https://www.telephonics.com/press/t...adar-for-indias-p-8i-maritime-patrol-aircraft

Dark Sorrow

Respected Member
ELINT is already installed in Netra ,for data processing we have already developed Mission management Software for both Netra and MPA and EO system developed by tonbo imaging has been selected for MPA.

X band maritime patrol radar is also under Development. We have also developed Algorithms for Wake detection of ship and Submarine using radar and EO images.

Only extra thing that we have to do for p8i class system is MAD and some structural modifications such as weapon bay and sonobuoy launcher.
Netra is an AWACS platforms optimized for engaging in Intelligence, surveillance, target acquisition, and reconnaissance of aerial targets.
P8I is a platforms optimized for Command, Control, Communications, Intelligence, surveillance, target acquisition, reconnaissance and engaging of surface and sub-surface target.

Air to ground RF-surveillance is externally difficult due to clutter, multi-path propagation, etc. We are yet to operationalize this technology.

It is not impossible but it will take time.

Vamsi

Country flag
Netra is an AWACS platforms optimized for engaging in Intelligence, surveillance, target acquisition, and reconnaissance of aerial targets.
P8I is a platforms optimized for Command, Control, Communications, Intelligence, surveillance, target acquisition, reconnaissance and engaging of surface and sub-surface target.

Air to ground RF-surveillance is externally difficult due to clutter, multi-path propagation, etc. We are yet to operationalize this technology.

It is not impossible but it will take time.
Air to ground RF- surveillance ? What are you talking ? We already had Space to ground RF- surveillance.

Covfefe

Country flag
SAR, ISAR and GMTI capabilities of P8I radar's is second to none. You can say it is the best surveillance hardware we have. It even outperforms our space based assets to perform all-weather, continuous, accurate, real-time and network-centric ISR mission even of deep enemy territory. This it does at stand-off range.
ISAR mode is said to be capable of both detecting, imaging and classifying surface targets at long range using a variety of resolutions. It is suppose to have sub-meter resolution.

It is also good in ELINT and SIGINT. It was eves-dropping on PRC's communication and also observing PRC's radar's emission pattern.

Netra is an AWACS platforms which primary focused on air to air combat while P8I is designed for surface and sub-surface search.
The ISTAR program was supposed to fulfill this Capability for ground surveillance, right? What's the next best platform available with us for SAR/ISAR capabilities?
And what exactly does ELINT comprise of?

MonaLazy

I don't think we use APY-10 in our P8i. This is from the company itself https://www.telephonics.com/press/t...adar-for-indias-p-8i-maritime-patrol-aircraft
..now why would you think that? aft means rear.. AN/APY-10 is housed in the nose:

1642421225588.png

1642421111624.png

IN's radars have more features that even USNs!

Javelin_Sam

Country flag
..now why would you think that? aft means rear.. AN/APY-10 is housed in the nose:

View attachment 132356

View attachment 132355

IN's radars have more features that even USNs!
IS HE EXFART OR THIS IS POSSIBLE ??

IN's radars have more features that even USNs! my foot!!!

It is just a feel good marketing statement. The USN doesn't need so many features in AN/APY 10 because they have the AN/APS 154.
AN/APY 10 radar and the AN/APS 154 AAS is like black and white TV and LED. Thats why AN/APS 154 is not given to us.

That rectangular radome is the APS 154. It has 2 sided AESA for 360 degree coverage. During flight, hydraulic arms holding it to fuselage extends downwards with the radar to clear out the engines from its field of view. "Subs create wakes as they displace water in their path, which is barely visible on the surface. A radar-like AAS can pick out these wakes from the pattern of regular ocean waves, betraying a submarine’s location"

MonaLazy

IN's radars have more features than even USNs!
Digging around some..
1642422715879.png

IN's radars have more features than even USNs!
Features present only in INs AN/APY-10s
1642422798096.png

The journey from APY-10 to APY-10(I). How they had it comply with customer requirements & export restrictions:
1642423010994.png

In the above slide, the less sophisticated navigator modification was a customer requirement outlined in the next slide. The three removals and one performance limitation were probably to comply with export restrictions. Finally, the last two additions are extra for IN.

1642423177040.png

THESIS THORON

Country flag
In the above slide, the less sophisticated navigator modification was a customer requirement outlined in the next slide. The three removals and one performance limitation were probably to comply with export restrictions. Finally, the last two additions are extra for IN.
if the platform is soo good then why are we banning it?? , get more p8i.

atleast do not make mistake like c17 globemaster :fyeah:

Karthi

Country flag
Rooftop testing of MPR.jpg

X band AESA based Maritime radar , which has more than 1000 TRMs, GaAs based , primarily for ICG Dorniers.

AESA Based Maritime patrol radar.jpg

This is an AESA based MPR for DRDOs under development Maritime Patrol Aircraft . Which can act in Air to Air mode, air to ground/sea mode , SAR mode, moving target indicator, Range Signature etc .

EOIR--.jpg

EO IR system for MPA, it has thermal imager , HD camera , SWIR, Laser Range Finder , Laser Pointer .

mms2.jpg

Console for displaying data this is a part Mission Management System.

EOIR For maritime patrol.jpg

EOIR.jpg

EO IR Avenger S 50 developed by DRDO/ Tonbo Imaging. MWIR thermal imager , SWIR , the above one is same . It can use in both air platforms and ship's also can use RWS systems.

MMMA-.jpg

DRDO maritime patrol Aircraft.

Integrated mission data management system already developed , many technologies already developed just integration with the Aircraft is remaining , possibly few other techs and testing of sensors are pending . AI Based EW / ESM systems for both AWACS and MPA s are under development.

Advanced AEWS.jpg

360 degree AWACS , Netra NG

ISTAR.jpg

DRDO ISTAR. Istar will provide near real time Surveillance and targetting data .

It will be simultaneously networked with the airborne network, ground-based network and the command and control network. It will have AESA SAR , elint , comint, EO IR , self protection suit etc .

Covfefe

Country flag
View attachment 132365

X band AESA based Maritime radar , which has more than 1000 TRMs, GaAs based , primarily for ICG Dorniers.

View attachment 132367

This is an AESA based MPR for DRDOs under development Maritime Patrol Aircraft . Which can act in Air to Air mode, air to ground/sea mode , SAR mode, moving target indicator, Range Signature etc .

View attachment 132368

EO IR system for MPA, it has thermal imager , HD camera , SWIR, Laser Range Finder , Laser Pointer .

View attachment 132369

View attachment 132370

View attachment 132371

EO IR Avenger S 50 developed by DRDO/ Tonbo Imaging. MWIR thermal imager , SWIR , the above one is same . It can use in both air platforms and ship's also can use RWS systems.

View attachment 132372

Integrated mission data management system already developed , many technologies already developed just integration with the Aircraft is remaining , possibly few other techs and testing of sensors are pending . AI Based EW / ESM systems for both AWACS and MPA s are under development.

View attachment 132373

View attachment 132374

DRDO ISTAR. Istar will provide near real time Surveillance and targetting data .

It will be simultaneously networked with the airborne network, ground-based network and the command and control network. It will have AESA SAR , elint , comint, EO IR , self protection suit etc .
Any update on ISTAR project? Yet to be sanctioned by CCS?

MonaLazy

if the platform is soo good then why are we banning it??
banned or deferred?

<speculation>CAATSA vs 56".. let's see who blinks first</speculation>

1642424251956.png

1642424364473.png

Since the US is still looking at where the "balance" is- this deferment of military contracts could just be posturing to tilt that in India's favour (there are consequences to your threats Murikans!). Besides, if we merely scrape through no-sanctions by promising to not offend Uncle with S-500/550 & other top notch Russian systems in future- it's bad for us long term. This could be an attempt to draw some red lines and tell Murikans to back off- so we can continue buying all the Russian stuff we want to.

Hence, all foreign deals got thrown under the bus of Atmanirbharta (to not publicly single Uncle out). Just my reading of the situation with no scientific backing.

Let me say that the P8I isn't the silver arrow that it is deemed to be.Our homegrown sensor suite has been found to be very capable ( SAR/GMTI and MAD).The C295 based MPA was initially envisaged for the CG but as it took shape, the IN found it to a potential replacement for the P8I.

Actually I think MRMR requirement of IN is back on the table. It was dead after the P8I deals, maybe they'll go for 20+ C295 airframe, leaving the former only for long range deployment. Moreover DRDO won't be developing the maritime variant just for a handful of ICG airframe.

Seems like it. After they closed the C295 deal possibilities are opening in other areas and the
@DRDO_India @AirbusDefence
love only grows That said given the aggressive P8I deployments of the @indiannavy
12 LRMPA are nowhere sufficient

Maybe the C295 based MPA is coming after all. :eek1:

vampyrbladez

Country flag
View attachment 132365

View attachment 132367

View attachment 132368

View attachment 132369

View attachment 132370

View attachment 132371

View attachment 132372

View attachment 132373

View attachment 132374

To add to the above, the general configuration of the DRDO C295 MMPA

Marliii

Better to die on your feet than live on your knees
Country flag
banned or deferred?

<speculation>CAATSA vs 56".. let's see who blinks first</speculation>

View attachment 132376

View attachment 132377

Since the US is still looking at where the "balance" is- this deferment of military contracts could just be posturing to tilt that in India's favour (there are consequences to your threats Murikans!). Besides, if we merely scrape through no-sanctions by promising to not offend Uncle with S-500/550 & other top notch Russian systems in future- it's bad for us long term. This could be an attempt to draw some red lines and tell Murikans to back off- so we can continue buying all the Russian stuff we want to.

Hence, all foreign deals got thrown under the bus of Atmanirbharta (to not publicly single Uncle out). Just my reading of the situation with no scientific backing.

Let me say that the P8I isn't the silver arrow that it is deemed to be.Our homegrown sensor suite has been found to be very capable ( SAR/GMTI and MAD).The C295 based MPA was initially envisaged for the CG but as it took shape, the IN found it to a potential replacement for the P8I.

Actually I think MRMR requirement of IN is back on the table. It was dead after the P8I deals, maybe they'll go for 20+ C295 airframe, leaving the former only for long range deployment. Moreover DRDO won't be developing the maritime variant just for a handful of ICG airframe.

Seems like it. After they closed the C295 deal possibilities are opening in other areas and the
@DRDO_India @AirbusDefence
love only grows That said given the aggressive P8I deployments of the @indiannavy
12 LRMPA are nowhere sufficient

Maybe the C295 based MPA is coming after all. :eek1:
Hope those red lines dont come to bite us on the long term.all indian twitter defence experts were praising the p8i some time ago now they are reversing their claims

vampyrbladez

Country flag
Hope those red lines dont come to bite us on the long term.all indian twitter defence experts were praising the p8i some time ago now they are reversing their claims
P 8Is are great but you can have 3-5 C 295 MMPA / ASW aircraft for the price of 1.

Also if Uncle Sam applies CATSAA on us, our fleet may be affected by spares shortages in the future.

Hedging our bets is actually a fairly sound decision that was taken here.

Marliii

Better to die on your feet than live on your knees
Country flag
P 8Is are great but you can have 3-5 C 295 MMPA / ASW aircraft for the price of 1.

Also if Uncle Sam does a CATSAA, our fleet may be affected by spares shortage in the future.

Hedging our bets is a sound decision taken here.
They would most likely spare us this time .but going for the s500 probably would be the red line can a c295. Based ASW have all the merits of p8i like range etc?

Latest Replies

Global Defence

New threads

Articles