DRDO, PSU and Private Defence Sector News

Aniruddha Mulay

Country flag
Is it possible to buy those sensors and avionics and integrate it on a platform of our choice?
The problem is US won't sell them as individual packages and even if they do, they will make it a case such that those individual sensor packages are more expensive than a brand-new P8I Neptune.
The biggest roadblock I think in developing a MPA will similar specs like the P8I is developing a multimode maritime search radar like the one on the P8I.
Rest of the stuff like MAD, sonobuoys, ELINT sensors, IR cameras, RWR, MAWS, ASHM and LWT is something which DRDO can manage.

Neeraj Mathur

Country flag
The problem is US won't sell them as individual packages and even if they do, they will make it a case such that those individual sensor packages are more expensive than a brand-new P8I Neptune.
The biggest roadblock I think in developing a MPA will similar specs like the P8I is developing a multimode maritime search radar like the one on the P8I.
Rest of the stuff like MAD, sonobuoys, ELINT sensors, IR cameras, RWR, MAWS, ASHM and LWT is something which DRDO can manage.
lot of stuff are already available with drdo and private companies in india.

multimode maritime search radar can be bought from leonardo or iai.

indiatester

Country flag

Vamsi

Country flag
IS HE EXFART OR THIS IS POSSIBLE ??

He is definitely an ExFart. Scramjet is not a TurboFan engine to plug in & plug out. Entire missile is build around the engine intake.So, it's impossible to use HSTDV engine in Brahmos-NG. A Conventional Ramjet can also fly in Hypersonic speeds, but it will loose it's efficiency and hence Brahmos-NG will be designed to fly "Near" Hypersonic speeds.

Hypersonic Missile based on HSTDV won't be called Brahmos-2, because Brahmos is a JV while HSTDV is fully Indigenous

Dark Sorrow

Respected Member
Is it possible to buy those sensors and avionics and integrate it on a platform of our choice?
US will never sell individual equipment when they can sale the complete aircraft.
Even if they sell individual equipment, any business will inflate the cost individual equipment cost and allied services to such an extent that buying new aircraft will be economical.

Dark Sorrow

Respected Member
We currently can't manage Electro-Optical sensor (Multi-Spectral Camera), ELINT sensor and mainly the surface search radar (SAR and ISAR mode) and processing of these data. All these systems proved exceptional against the Chinese.

Dark Sorrow

Respected Member
lot of stuff are already available with drdo and private companies in india.
Its no where close to the sophistication, accuracy and reliability the current equipment of P8I .
multimode maritime search radar can be bought from leonardo or iai.
Currently their is no available alternative of AN/APS-154 Advanced Airborne Sensor (AAS).

Neeraj Mathur

Country flag
Its no where close to the sophistication, accuracy and reliability the current equipment of P8I .
Currently their is no available alternative of AN/APS-154 Advanced Airborne Sensor (AAS).

Maybe but the point is we have our own tech and can improve it with time. US system is sophisticated bcoz they developed their system with time.

if that's the case then it can be bought from US separately. And i do not agree that US will not sell it separately.

Kalkioftoday

Country flag

Buddy, we don't have AN/APS-154 AAS radar, US didn't even started export of that system. LoL, they didn't even gave us the same primary search radar that their P8 were using. We use older Telephonics APS-143C(V)3 radar.

Dark Sorrow

Respected Member
Buddy, we don't have AN/APS-154 AAS radar, US didn't even started export of that system.
Do you have any source to backup the claim. Their is no information available if AN/APS-154 AAS radar is being used or not used used by IN. Post Doklam lot of things changed.
Just because we use APS-143C(V)3 export version of the APY-10 radar we can't comment on other sensors.
AN/APS-154 AAS radar is added as a undercarriage pod and can be fixed later.

Kalkioftoday

Country flag
Do you have any source to backup the claim. Their is no information available if AN/APS-154 AAS radar is being used or not used used by IN. Post Doklam lot of things changed.
Just because we use APS-143C(V)3 export version of the APY-10 radar we can't comment on other sensors.
AN/APS-154 AAS radar is added as a undercarriage pod and can be fixed later.
If their is no information regarding indian navy having AAS than why do you say that we have no alternative to it as if we were use that system in the first place. Doklam or Ladakh doesn't matter, US will never export something so sophisticated as the AAS to a country who loves to do a monkey balancing between US & Russia.

Just because we use APS-143C(V)3 export version of the APY-10 radar
APY 10 and APS-143C(V)3 are two entirely different kind of Maritime search radar made by two different company.
Honestly speaking, i don't even think US even started mass producing the AAS cuz the first picture of the system surfaced very recently. They are most probably in testing phase right now

Chinmoy

Country flag
Did anyone post about this? Is this trial after DRDO has redesigned with necessary changes? Hydraulic drive and stuff for ATAGs.
-----------
Indian Army and ARDE will begin the Firing trials (PSQR) of 155/52 Caliber Gun System (ATAGS) in these locations : PFFR Pokharan, SFFR Sikkim, PXE, Balasore, VRDE Ahmednagar and ARDE Ranges.
View attachment 131825
Yes. These tests would be with Hydraulic drive system.

fire starter

Tihar Jail
Banned
Country flag
We currently can't manage Electro-Optical sensor (Multi-Spectral Camera), ELINT sensor and mainly the surface search radar (SAR and ISAR mode) and processing of these data. All these systems proved exceptional against the Chinese.
ELINT is already installed in Netra ,for data processing we have already developed Mission management Software for both Netra and MPA and EO system developed by tonbo imaging has been selected for MPA.

X band maritime patrol radar is also under Development. We have also developed Algorithms for Wake detection of ship and Submarine using radar and EO images.

Only extra thing that we have to do for p8i class system is MAD and some structural modifications such as weapon bay and sonobuoy launcher.

mist_consecutive

Golgappe Expert
Contributor
Country flag
@fire starter @Dark Sorrow @MonaLazy and others what was reason that P8s were summoned for surveillance of the Himalayan borders after Galwan clash? AF did have their AWACS platforms including Netras?
P8Is were used for their SAR radar capabilities. We lack good high-resolution SAR platforms. The acquisition of MQ-9 Avenger will offset that.

MonaLazy

P8s for Himalaya

To keep an eye on PLA positions and mirror their deployment- has been used in Doklam & after Pulwama also.

In 2009, the US Navy had approved ground surveillance role for its P-8s.

The P-8Is come equipped with the AN/APY-10 radar, which its maker Raytheon describes as a “maritime, littoral and overland surveillance radar”. As it is clear from the description, the radar can be used to monitor ground movement, and is capable of providing data in all-weather conditions, both at night and day.

In the Synthetic Aperture and Inverse synthetic-aperture mode, the AN/APY-10 radar can penetrate through clouds and foliage to give detailed images of the surface below. Images produced by the radar in these modes can give details such as size of objects and structures on the surface, movement and change.

These observations will help the Army keep a close watch over the movement of the People’s Liberation Army on the other side of the Line of Actual Control. Based on these inputs, the army can take a call on its deployments.

Dark Sorrow

Respected Member
@fire starter @Dark Sorrow @MonaLazy and others what was reason that P8s were summoned for surveillance of the Himalayan borders after Galwan clash? AF did have their AWACS platforms including Netras?
SAR, ISAR and GMTI capabilities of P8I radar's is second to none. You can say it is the best surveillance hardware we have. It even outperforms our space based assets to perform all-weather, continuous, accurate, real-time and network-centric ISR mission even of deep enemy territory. This it does at stand-off range.
ISAR mode is said to be capable of both detecting, imaging and classifying surface targets at long range using a variety of resolutions. It is suppose to have sub-meter resolution.

It is also good in ELINT and SIGINT. It was eves-dropping on PRC's communication and also observing PRC's radar's emission pattern.

Netra is an AWACS platforms which primary focused on air to air combat while P8I is designed for surface and sub-surface search.

Global Defence

New threads

Articles