DRDO, PSU and Private Defence Sector News

Shashank Nayak

Country flag

Maybe..desi alternative?
Looks like CAATSA is seriously spurring India towards Atmanirbhar bharat in defense.. of course with significant foreign components in the interim..
America had hoped that CAATSA would force India to buy American equipment, instead India is ditching direct purchase from all countries...:india2:

images - 2022-01-15T155724.974.jpeg

THESIS THORON

Country flag
Let's celebrate the moment. Not be so pessimistic.

GoI kare to mare, na kare to mare!
(GoI is doomed both ways on DFI whether it seeks imports or cancels them)- we just can't seem to make up our minds.

Atmanirbharta for the win!!

:balleballe:

As for desi alternatives or screwdrivergiri let's wait a few months and see what the future holds. For now even cancelling these tenders is a big step- unimaginable few years ago and must be celebrated. I'll give GoI the benefit of the doubt for now.

View attachment 132064
Only desi sweets!
BRUH, VIRTUAL MITHAI DOES NOT HAVE ANY TASTE 😑😑😑

MonaLazy

BRUH, VIRTUAL MITHAI DOES NOT HAVE ANY TASTE 😑😑😑
also don't give you diabetes!

Govt cancels chopper, missile import deals under 'Make in India' push
The Ministry of Defence on Friday cancelled a number of import deals as part of the central government's 'Make in India' push.

The central government has cancelled multiple deals for the purchase of short-range Surface-to-Air missiles and a tender for the purchase of 14 choppers for the Indian Coast Guard. This decision is being viewed as a strong message to the domestic defence sector.

A decision in this regard was taken during a meeting of the Ministry of Defence (MoD) in New Delhi on Friday. The meeting was held to review import deals with foreign vendors, top government sources told India Today.

This was the first in a series of meetings of the Defence Ministry to push Prime Minister Narendra Modi's 'Make in India' initiative.

A large number of defence import deals have already been reviewed, sources say, adding that they will not be allowed to progress any further.

Many other deals are under review, including the purchase of six more P-8I surveillance aircraft and Klub anti-ship cruise missiles for the Navy and Russian VSHORAD (very short-range air defence) missile system for the Army.

The initiative came after PM Modi chaired a review meeting with officials of the Ministry of Defence last year. The then Chief of Defence Staff (CDS) General Bipin Rawat, who died in a chopper crash on December 8, was also part of the meeting.

Officials who attended the meeting last year felt that strong measures need to be taken to ensure that the country moves firmly towards Aatmanirbhar Bharat in the defence sector.

After the meeting, an additional secretary-rank officer of the MoD wrote a note to three services stating that "all stakeholders may take an in-principle call that no import of defence items is going forward".

Gandaberunda

Country flag
P8I is very effective and advanced Maritime patrol Aircraft. Atleast they could have ordered additional tranche and called quit. There are no alternatives to P8i. Also the planned feet and operational deployment will be in limbo now with incomplete fleet.

flanker99

Country flag
Yes but a line has to be drawn somewhere. These are collateral damages.

We need to learn to stand on our feet . No matter the growing pains.
It can be done by other means...we are already stuck with 12 p8 for nxt 30 years(means 30 more years of US dependence) buying more of them will not hurt our sovereignty in any way but not buying means leaving gaps in capabilities that cant be fulfilled by anything anytime soon..specially now when chinese presence in IOR is ever increasing.
If govt wants show seriousness then they should throw a few billions and develop an aircraft that can safely replace these.

Dessert Storm

Country flag

Maybe..desi alternative?
There apparantly are two lists.
1. Closure list- the items in this list "cannot" be imported. Either domestic equivalent is available or make under Strategic Partnership Model.
2. Deferment list- if no domestic equivalent found, then exemption is to be sought for import.
P8i and the likes may be in deferment list. Let's wait for the lists from official sources.

Akula

Country flag
P8I is very effective and advanced Maritime patrol Aircraft. Atleast they could have ordered additional tranche and called quit. There are no alternatives to P8i. Also the planned feet and operational deployment will be in limbo now with incomplete fleet.
Are they looking at maritime patrol aircraft version of C-295? Indian coast guard will also order them.

Latest Replies

Global Defence

New threads

Articles