DRDO, PSU and Private Defence Sector News

Haldilal

लड़ते लड़ते जीना है, लड़ते लड़ते मरना है
Country flag
Ya'll Nibbiars The Why India is not a Great Power (Yet) discusses the possession of the Techinacel Knew how, Technologies, Resources and the systems necessary to have a MIRV capabilitys.

Indx TechStyle

Kitty mod
Mod
Country flag
China is ahead but how well ahead

I was reading they have 7 missile tracking but only 2 of them have been built this century so aren't we close to them ?

And pak can't buy one of Thier old ships ?
No sorry 4 of them are active and 2 of them are new can I don't think they are that ahead of us maybe 5 yaers ahead
Chinese have been building and operating these ships for decades and we have just started. It's sufficient to mind the gap in experience and technological options available.

Dessert Storm

Country flag
Does India have any MIRV capable missiles?
Wikipedia says India has MIRV capabilities. But, then says MIRV is still under development for Agni 5?
Let's wait for 23rd Sep. If not then should be definitely tested by this year end.

Okabe Rintarou

Country flag
Me in a medium size company have manufactured and delivered 15,000-20,000 tonnes presses completely in India and exported to Europe and Japan.
Design of presses is relatively similar, it won't be a big deal for government to order it when they want.
If government makes a tender, private companies will make it. This isn't a star war technology.
What!? You sure its a 20,000 ton hydraulic press forge? 20,000 tons or 20,000 Newtons? How big is it? Can it hold the tolerances required in airframes? I doubt it. What is the control system used in your press forges?
50,000 tons is not star wars technology but the investment of hundreds of millions of dollars has to be made for us to have this capability. Currently we don't have it. Anyways, if its not too big a problem, lets hope GoI orders a 50,000 ton hydraulic press forge because that capability is essential in nearly all our future aerospace endeavours.
Meanwhile, DMRL is making near net compressor discs on a 2000 ton press forge of American make and Midhani has a 6000 ton press forge. We just don't have precision hydraulic press forges that large. Largest I know of is a 10,000 ton one from JV with French company and Indian Aequs.

Originally posted in SF thread by @Aniruddha Mulay
Said this before, will say it again, TASL and Tonbo need to tie up. Thermal + Gen III Image Intensification + Sensor Fusion will change the game, bring us on par with USA's latest.

Indx TechStyle

Kitty mod
Mod
Country flag
Yup, that company was great at least in terms of press manufacturing. Culture and procedures in that section are awesome.
You sure its a 20,000 ton hydraulic press forge? 20,000 tons or 20,000 Newtons?
A thrust of 20,000 tonnes or 20 kilonewtons. Acting weight and thrust of a body moving with velocity is much higher than its weight in rest, it's common sense.

Even local workshops and factories make 20,000 Newton (20 ton press) and use it for menial jobs.
How big is it? Can it hold the tolerances required in airframes? I doubt it. What is the control system used in your press forges?
To concentrate thrust in smaller area, obviously you will make stronger travelling head or slide.
50,000 tons is not star wars technology but the investment of hundreds of millions of dollars has to be made for us to have this capability.
Yeah, that's why I said the tech isn't an issue. 50,0000 tonnes between a span of 20 x 20 meters isn't an impossible thing.

But wait, I think there will issues with material strength in that case. Again, metallurgical issues may be there then I think.

Last edited:

ezsasa

Designated Cynic
Mod
Country flag
Yup, that company was great at least in terms of press manufacturing. Culture and procedures in that section are awesome.

A thrust of 20,000 tonnes or 20 kilonewtons. Acting weight and thrust of a body moving with velocity is much higher than its weight in rest, it's common sense.

Even local workshops and factories make 20,000 Newton (20 ton press) and use it for menial jobs.

To concentrate thrust in smaller area, obviously you will make stronger travelling head or slide.

Yeah, that's why I said the tech isn't an issue. 50,0000 tonnes between a span of 20 x 20 meters isn't an impossible thing.

But wait, I think there will issues with material strength in that case. Again, metallurgical issues may be there then I think.
is this the kind of press that is being discussed here?

Okabe Rintarou

Country flag

A thrust of 20,000 tonnes or 20 kilonewtons.

So its ISGEC, impressive product lineup. I looked at their products, but all their Hydraulic presses including the largest ones of 20,000 ton have a very high pressing speed of around 10-30 mm/sec. What is needed is much finer control and speeds of 0.1mm/sec. For example, the Titanium Compressor discs DMRL forged have around 1mm/sec pressing speed. Should be doable if they tie-up with a foreign partner and ToT or if DRDO starts a heavy press program.
is this the kind of press that is being discussed here?

Not exactly. This is High Pressure Die Casting. The one we need is for Isothermal forging of Titanium alloys. Its a hydraulic press forge. Needs a heated die. The press direction is vertical. Overall a different machine and process. This is it:-
ALCOA 50,000 ton press.png

And this bulkhead is an example of what this machine allows us to produce in one part instead of making multiple smaller parts and fastening them together like we are doing right now for AMCA (which would reduce airframe life and increase its weight):-
F-35 bulkhead.png

And this is the entire process:-
Process.png

(USI stands for Ultrasonic Inspection, to check for defects)

Last edited:

Global Defence

New threads

Articles