DRDO, PSU and Private Defence Sector News

Lonewolf

Psychopathic Neighbour
Country flag
I have a question. What is the basis for terminologies like 4.5 gen, 4+ gen, 5.5 gen etc?
Nothing much 4th gen , those old model , f 16 f 15 etc from 1980s , 4+ are category from 4 to 4.5 former not included , with irst , aesa and other features like rafale , tejas mk2 , etc , tejas mk1a is 4.5 gen fighter but few things missing

5.5 gen basically advancement over conventional 5 th gen with limited dew capability , some unmanned capability , newer missile and all , first 6 th gen would be US one , fcas , tempest are all 5.5 category

Killbot

Country flag
Nothing much 4th gen , those old model , f 16 f 15 etc from 1980s , 4+ are category from 4 to 4.5 former not included , with irst , aesa and other features like rafale , tejas mk2 , etc , tejas mk1a is 4.5 gen fighter but few things missing

5.5 gen basically advancement over conventional 5 th gen with limited dew capability , some unmanned capability , newer missile and all , first 6 th gen would be US one , fcas , tempest are all 5.5 category
I should rephrase.. Who sets these benchmarks? Because the capability of an aircraft is a function of the requirements. AMCA Mk.2 has the potential to become our become our benchmark for 6th gen. If its capabilities differ from NGAD or PCA, it would be because of our requirements.. I think this 5.5 gen etc business is a gross generalization. Just compare "4.5" gen Rafale F4 to F-35. You'll understand what I'm talking about.

Lonewolf

Psychopathic Neighbour
Country flag
I should rephrase.. Who sets these benchmarks? Because the capability of an aircraft is a function of the requirements. AMCA Mk.2 has the potential to become our become our benchmark for 6th gen. If its capabilities differ from NGAD or PCA, it would be because of our requirements.. I think this 5.5 gen etc business is a gross generalization. Just compare "4.5" gen Rafale F4 to F-35. You'll understand what I'm talking about.
I know ,i too said that above that , their are no proper parameters ,all follow US doctrine and convention .

Amca is a potent design and unlike american we won't shelve it but rather develop and modify it in mk 2 , but afrer that we will need clean sheet design for future environment

Killbot

Country flag
You should atleast have this much basic knowledge before coming to these threads.
Okay, why don't you explain how 5th gen F-35 is half a generation ahead of, say, Rafale in its latest iteration.

SKC

Country flag
Okay, why don't you explain how 5th gen F-35 is half a generation ahead of, say, Rafale in its latest iteration.
Why should I explain this?
I don't have any problem with F-35 being half generation ahead of Rafale.

The generations in fighter planes need not be incremental, the changes in generations can be exponential also.

Lonewolf

Psychopathic Neighbour
Country flag

The generations in fighter planes need not be incremental, the changes in generations can be exponential also.
He was asking that in sense that generation parameters aee not hard and fast , and similar performance can be achieved in some particular cases with different design concept fighter like rafale f 4 and f 35 in beast mode , not too much difference .

Killbot

Country flag

And I didn't ask whether you have a problem or not. I was talking about difference in capabilities, which is actually in favour of the Rafale. My point was about the naming conventions in the first place. It is a comparison to US standards, which doesn't work because we are comparing apples to oranges.

SavageKing456

Country flag
I know ,i too said that above that , their are no proper parameters ,all follow US doctrine and convention .

Amca is a potent design and unlike american we won't shelve it but rather develop and modify it in mk 2 , but afrer that we will need clean sheet design for future environment
Exactly like for example if we create an aircraft based on anti gravity technology,who would decide which gen it belongs?

Lonewolf

Psychopathic Neighbour
Country flag
Nonetheless, why the fuck are we seeing this model for the 1st time!!?.. This is from Aero India 2021, then how come photos of it are surfacing only now? 😒
Was the arena so bug that everything was not covered or people were just too much into those internal models

Latest Replies

Global Defence

New threads

Articles