DRDO, PSU and Private Defence Sector News

ladder

Country flag
You suspicion it's probably correct. It'd become too big... Turbofan system can't share propulsion mechanism nor fuel with ramjet, so both will be seperate. See a schematic diagram of ramjet & turbofan,you'll get what I mean.

Why add turbofan anyway?.. Turbofan has only one advantage, low IR signature. So the stealthy CATS Hunter will benefit from it. These above stuff will get detected & need to be fast & maneuvering. Or atleast sea-skimming/terrain-higging.
Although, in the schematic I proposed it cannot share fuel but in turboramjet propulsion it can. But we are not concerned about it here (dual velocity cruise missile)

porky_kicker

Country flag
Because of this

View attachment 80748

R-73 seeker on activation has very limited time , so target must be searched tracked and the seeker of R73 brought within the LOS of the target so that it can itself get a lock . This is done by the individual launchers with the FLIR within a very short time.

If one FLIR is installed , it will provide coarse and fine guidance for one R-73 only. Each R-73 will need it's own external eyes and own positioning mechanism to make sure it can lock on the intended target successfully.

And that is not a EO pod , it is a COTS FLIR / thermal camera
Correction :

If one FLIR is installed , it will provide incremental coarse and fine *positioning ( not guidance perse ) for one R-73 only.

Maharaj samudragupt

Kritant Parashu
Banned
Country flag
IAF gone houthi !

View attachment 80583

Personally I don't think it has any use other than trying to shoot down low flying drones . Also it will never survive the rigors of war that IAF expects to face.

Well nothing much to say , if IAF wants it , that's their call , after all it's their lives on stake.
I believe, it is capable to shoot down helicopters too , isn't it ?
But the helicopter should not have flare dispenser , then it will be useless i believe.

porky_kicker

Country flag
I believe, it is capable to shoot down helicopters too , isn't it ?
But the helicopter should not have flare dispenser , then it will be useless i believe.
Everything, provided the target is within the engagement envelope and its countermeasures are ineffective to detect or to stop the missile from shooting it down.

Having countermeasures doesn't guarantee defence against missiles. It is a cat and mouse game.

Maharaj samudragupt

Kritant Parashu
Banned
Country flag
Everything, provided the target is within the engagement envelope and its countermeasures are ineffective to detect or to stop the missile from shooting it down.

Having countermeasures doesn't guarantee defence against missiles. It is a cat and mouse game.
But that zil truck looks ugly to be honest.
The IAF should mount those on lsv or that new kalyani m4 vehicles .
It looks more modern.
But if it works and vayusena is happy , then I am happy .

Karthi

Country flag
Because of this

View attachment 80748

R-73 seeker on activation has very limited time , so target must be searched tracked and the seeker of R73 brought within the LOS of the target so that it can itself get a lock . This is done by the individual launchers with the FLIR within a very short time.

If one FLIR is installed , it will provide coarse and fine guidance for one R-73 only. Each R-73 will need it's own external eyes and own positioning mechanism to make sure it can lock on the intended target successfully.

And that is not a EO pod , it is a COTS FLIR / thermal camera
There is one problem FLIR may not be able to track the target for that we need an IRST . FLIR can detect targets from greater ranges than IRST . So this may not be a FLIR or it just detects the target and the R 73 will be fired and the R73 Seeker locks on to the target

Maharaj samudragupt

Kritant Parashu
Banned
Country flag
War is fashion show ?
Naa , not at all.
It was my personal opinion sirji , I very well know functionality triumphs looks everywhere, less said about warfare the better.
I just read an earlier reply , which propagated the same opinion as mine .

Lastly, if war were fashion show then army regiments would have fought in their parade uniforms .

I apologize.

ladder

Country flag
Naa , not at all.
It was my personal opinion sirji , I very well know functionality triumphs looks everywhere, less said about warfare the better.

Lastly, if war were fashion show then army regiments would have fought in their parade uniforms .

I apologize.
This project used existing equipment/s available with IAF, the truck you see is readily available IAF as it was used to transport Pechora systems.
A lot of Pechora SAM systems will be retired, of the 60 firing units acquired, only 24 are to be upgraded. Thus, alot of such trucks will be available as surplus with IAF. And so, they have been used.

Is it the final itiration, may be or may not be.

porky_kicker

Country flag
There is one problem FLIR may not be able to track the target for that we need an IRST . FLIR can detect targets from greater ranges than IRST . So this may not be a FLIR or it just detects the target and the R 73 will be fired and the R73 Seeker locks on to the target
Possible

porky_kicker

Country flag
Naa , not at all.

I apologize.
It was a jest

IAF is reusing most of the stuff they have , so this is reflected in the product .

And as far as I can see , most of the stuff is COTS . Hence the system will be very cheap.

Also it is important to note the panels in the picture which could be the BITE equipments , go no go testers , control panel with joy sticks .It is definitely not a jury rigged system but well thought out and engineered within the cost scope and availablility of resources for the program.

Previously IAF and IA was doing nothing , now atleast they are doing something and it should be supported .

This system has potential provided it is used in the correct way. I believe this system will find better use with army in order to set up ambush and surprise attacks . Even IAF can do so.

Latest Replies

Global Defence

New threads

Articles