DRDO, PSU and Private Defence Sector News

Cheran

Country flag

GRSE Lays Keel of 3rd Ship of Project 17A Advanced Stealth Frigate P17A's are 149m long, displacement of 6670T, advanced CODOG propulsion, speed of 28 knots. These platforms are capable of neutralising threats in all three dimensions of Air, Surface & Sub-surface

P17A Stealth Frigates are being built using Integrated Construction Methodology with enhanced pre-outfitting to enhance quality/reduce build periods. Fincantieri, Italy is the Knowhow Provider for Technology Upgrade and Capability Enhancement in this project.

Lonewolf

Psychopathic Neighbour
Country flag
Video -

#WATCH: DRDO today successfully conducted flight test of Solid Fuel Ducted Ramjet (SFDR) Technology from Integrated Test Range, Chandipur in Odisha today. All subsystems including the ground booster motor performed as per expectation.
Most intriguing line , all sub systems are successfully tested , means that next test could be air launched , seeker was tested or not , most probably yes , so chers mate , beast is coming ?

porky_kicker

Country flag
NASM-LR (long range)?.. Meant for Teddy maybe... Certainly longer than regular NASM & the booster in that isn't a seperate module, from what I can tell.
Only 2 versions of NASM are intended and planned

NASM-SR short range
NASM-MR medium range

Requirements of longer range sub sonic anti ship missile will be catered by ITCM / SLCM / ALCM and DSCM ( which is supposed to a sub sonic missile with supersonic terminal stage , unfortunately no information regarding it )

Bleh

Laughing member
Country flag
Only 2 versions of NASM are intended and planned

NASM-SR short range
NASM-MR medium range

Requirements of longer range sub sonic anti ship missile will be catered by ITCM / SLCM / ALCM and DSCM ( which is supposed to a sub sonic missile with supersonic terminal stage , unfortunately no information regarding it )
Yes i remember you mentioning Dual Speed Cruise-Missile here... Could be that (given it's an unidentified one, but clearly a cruise missile & DSCM has no public images either).

Will you make a trivia thread about all the missiles under development?.. With the availble pics.

1 post to cover 1 project.

I'm starting some multimedia threads. Pics & footages hey lost in a sea of posts, never to be seen again (already when needed) 😑

Lonewolf

Psychopathic Neighbour
Country flag
There is absolutely no information on it , except for the pic.

So you have to make an educated guess.

It has lattice / grid type fins at the rear. Lattice / grid fins allows for high AoA .

Can't say if it is powered or not, though lattice / grid find performs well at sub sonic and best at supersonic speeds. Transonic performance is poor.

Another utility is missiles / munitions with lattice / grid fins are better option when it comes to supersonic release from mother missiles or aircrafts ( or its IWB ). The lattice / grid fins can be used for de acceleration post release and then stabilization . If supersonic flight is powered on post stabilization , it will provide maneuverability and high AoA if desired.

Personally I consider it to be a earth penetrator ( possibly powered ) with multistage warhead for defeating HDBTs ( hardened and deeply buried targets )

End of the day we will know for sure when DRDO releases info on it.
So another possibility it can be dscm which you stated in above post ,as in terminal phase it will provide required performance . You said that it has poor performance in transonic regime ,so can't it be dscm .

ladder

Country flag
Instead a cleansheet design , involving akash 1s experience , aesa seeker would be much better choice , weight would be less , performance would be better , paired with akash ng er ,can arm our naval assets
Yes but what about the 15 squadrons of Akash 1/1S already contracted for? Any updates in range without compromising PK should be welcomed. And few technologies can be ported back from SFDR to Akash 1 I guess.

porky_kicker

Country flag
So another possibility it can be dscm which you stated in above post ,as in terminal phase it will provide required performance . You said that it has poor performance in transonic regime ,so can't it be dscm .
That one is stubby in shape , cannot be a cruise missile which are sleek .

Ghost hale

Country flag
Any reason y only single SFDR AAM available worldwide? Technology can't be an issue as multiple SAM exist.

Ghost hale

Country flag
Size issue I think. None of what exists are small enough to be AAM.
It is quite difficult to believe that USA which is pouring 100 billion USD for next gen air defence development is not working on best AAM technology. I tried to do some research on the same and can't even find under development projects for AAMs with SFDR except DRDO's. All developed or under developed missiles are SAM or anti ship or air to surface. Can't pin point any reason for it. Even our ramjet tech is developed from help by Russia and they themselves are not working on any such AAMs. Seems quite strange.

Bleh

Laughing member
Country flag
It is quite difficult to believe that USA which is pouring 100 billion USD for next gen air defence development is not working on best AAM technology. I tried to do some research on the same and can't even find under development projects for AAMs with SFDR except DRDO's. All developed or under developed missiles are SAM or anti ship or air to surface. Can't pin point any reason for it. Even our ramjet tech is developed from help by Russia and they themselves are not working on any such AAMs. Seems quite strange.
I don't know... USA didn't even manage dual-pulse or TVC in their AIM-120. I'm starting to think they waste more money than they utilise.

Ghost hale

Country flag
I don't know... USA didn't even manage dual-pulse or TVC in their AIM-120. I'm starting to think they waste more money than they utilise.
This part is absolutely true. With abundance of money they stop theoretical implementation and depends more on learning from failures by wasting demos. So many crashes in test and still keep testing without modifications shows that whereas our scientist try to test maximum things on theory and calculation with software as demos availability is few. Still for US i think they believe in overwhelming by numbers and havn't faced any significant air power anytime. Very unusual thing anyhow.

IndianHawk

Country flag

Their aim 120d has range more than 160 km already. They were content with it since only Europeans had longer ranged meteor. Russian only have r37 m which is more of awacs killer due to its size and weight.

Now owning to chinese competition their are developing two programs aim260 and long range engagement by Raytheon.

Let's see what technology they come up with . But for now meteor and sfdr reign supreme.

Latest Replies

Global Defence

New threads

Articles