DRDO, PSU and Private Defence Sector News

Karthi

Country flag
IMG_20200825_131047.jpg

DRDO developed Technology for transparent armour, Magnesium aluminates spinel has been developed.

100 mm × 100 mm × 4 mm square manufactured for technology demonstration.

It was produced using Hot Isostatic Pressing (HIP). This has been tested against 7.62 AP bullet. Technology can be upscaled for any size requirement.

Kab.Z

Country flag
View attachment 44791
This picture from DRDO publication is very similar to the Brazilian EE- T2 Osorio MBT having a 120 mm main gun and weighing about 44 tons. The tank was developed during the mid-1980s by Engesa company both for Brazilian Army and export customers. This MBT was developed as a private venture, with only little support from the Brazilian government.The first prototype was completed in 1985, the second followed in 1986. Generally it was a successful design, however due to the lack of funding it was not accepted to service with the Brazilian Army, which at one time had a requirement of 300 new main battle tanks. This MBT also received no production orders from export customers. Eventually the Osorio project was abandoned and Engesa went bankrupt.

http://www.military-today.com/tanks/osorio.htm

Now to question arises, why would DRDO release a 3D CAD drawing of a MBT of a long abandoned project of another country?
Hello, I'm the author of the 3d model. It is not a CAD model, and in fact it has nothing to do with DRDO nor any other defense publication. It is just a model I did in my spare time.
This particular project was done on blender 2.79/2.80. It is not correct by the way, as there are no official/technical drawings on the EE-T1/T2. I just used the "blueprint" from that trumpeter model kit and did some corrections based on images available on google & some other photo collections.
My texturing sucks so I never finished it. Here's a more recent image:

Kab.Z

Country flag
To expand a little further on the subject (I tried editing but there's a 10 min limit :/ )

Hello, I'm the author of the 3d model. It is not a CAD model, and in fact it has nothing to do with DRDO nor any other defense publication. It is just a model I did in my spare time.
I do 3d modelling as a hobby, I first posted these images (and a gif IIRC) on a game forum (armored warfare) some years ago. I later posted a more recent version on warthunder's forum. The intent was to mod the games, since it is unlikely for game developers to include vehicles from countries such as Brazil in their products.

This particular project was done on blender 2.79/2.80. It is not correct by the way, as there are no official/technical drawings on the EE-T1/T2
Well, actually there is one surviving drawing that might be from Engesa, but we'll probably never get confirmation on that, I also only found the drawing months after I started the model, so I didn't feel like starting over again. Sometimes it's just easier to start from scratch than to modify an existing model, I might start another version of the Osorio later this year (2020), for now I'm too busy with other projects.

Most of Engesa's archives were destroyed when the company went bankrupt. They never made the drawings for the separate parts of the tank, only a rough drawing of the complete assembly. The separate parts would get technical drawings only if the tank were to be produced.

For this model I just used the "blueprint" from that trumpeter model kit and did some corrections based on images available on google & some other photo collections.
There are some good photos from people who visited the vehicles, I'm planning to do so later this year and take my own pictures. I might even run a photogrammetry program to get better results.
I tried to contact the people who worked on the project (yes, I'm brazilian), but the ones who answered back said they had no photos nor surviving archives. What you get on google is basically all there is.

I already saw these images on other forums, I guess I could watermark them, but imo an explanation is better fitting.

Last edited:

Karthi

Country flag
LPTA-12_5f45ee0e05a77.jpg

Thai envoy announced Thai Army is in the process of completing its purchase of over 600 TATA LPTA military trucks.They are rugged & easy to maintain. Fit for purpose. Fit for service of the nation.

Will be used in logistics and Mounting ELBIT 120 Mm Mortars .

Indian army don't have this particular Truck mounted Mortars system , can be used in Pak border

Bhadra

Professional
Country flag
Idk why mount small calibre on tracked vehicle? The smaller ones are easy to tow anyway.
Any kind of towing in mountain roads is an unsafe and dangerous proposition. The problems are gradients which is still manageable with power but the problem of turning radius can not be overcome.

Moreover, mountains offer very few deployment areas along roads for towed artillery to deploy whereas the mounted guns can fire when mounted. That means road itself becomes a deployment area and guns can be used from any road. Therefore, mounted guns become very useful for mountains .... provided a road exists..

Bhadra

Professional
Country flag
View attachment 57220
Thai envoy announced Thai Army is in the process of completing its purchase of over 600 TATA LPTA military trucks.They are rugged & easy to maintain. Fit for purpose. Fit for service of the nation.

Will be used in logistics and Mounting ELBIT 120 Mm Mortars .

Indian army don't have this particular Truck mounted Mortars system , can be used in Pak border
Indian Army is phasing out 120mm Mortars. 120 Mortars mounted are used the world over by mounting over AFVs such as BPM but not in India where they use 81mm Mortars mounted on BMP.. probably may shift to 120mm Mortars. The trend world over is either to use 81mm Mortars or 120mm Mortars and not both, NATO countries have largely moved to 120mm Mortars where USMC continues with 81mm Mortars.

Mortars as a weapon system are ideally meant for mountains, very easy to deploy along any slops of small deployment areas. It is easier to use those dismounted rather than when mounted unless when required to fire quickly on move, Those can be towed or carried into small trucks along with ammunition or even mule packed and carried for shorter distances. So typically there is no requirements for 120mm to be mounted and fired. It is a gravity fired system and has a greater shock effect. When fired from the ground it gats better stability and accuracy.

But yes, TATA 4X4 is an ideal vehicle because of its small size and its ability to ply on small roads and tracks.

Karthi

Country flag
TAI_delivers_another_new_radar-equipped_ANKA_Drone_to_Turkish_Naval_Forces_925_001.jpg

On August 24 2020, the Turkish Aerospace Industries (TAI) has supplied another ANKA unmanned aerial vehicle (UAV) with a longer range and equipped with an automatic identification system and synthetic aperture radar (SAR), to the Turkish Naval Forces.

And Super Power is still running behind Israel and US for UAVs .

ezsasa

Designated Cynic
Mod
Country flag
If anyone finds a digital copy of this, do post it here...

OFB Export handbook.

Suryavanshi

Cheeni KLPDhokebaaz
Technology Development Fund (TDF) has been established to promote self-reliance in Defence Technology as a part of the 'Make in India' initiative. It is a programme of MoD (Ministry of Defence) executed by DRDO meeting the requirements of Tri-Services, Defence Production and DRDO. .

The scheme encourages participation of public/private industries especially MSMEs so as to create an eco-system for enhancing cutting edge technology capability for defence application.

The TDF programme will cover the following technology development in terms of:

• Significant up-gradation/improvements/ further developments in the existing products/process/application etc
  • Technology readiness level up-gradation from TRL3 onwards to realization of products as per Tri-Services requirements
  • Development of futuristic technologies/innovative products which can be useful for the defence applications
  • Import substitution of components whose technologies does not exist with the Indian industry.
The scheme will be limited to development of technologies or prototype of product having potential use for the Services and typical development period of two years.

The scheme will cover funding through provision of grants to industry that may work in collaboration with the academia or research institutions to carry out innovation, research and development; such chosen entities will be referred to as Development Agencies (DAs). In cases where academia or research institutions are involved, their work involvement cannot exceed 40% of the total efforts required.

The requirements will be projected on this website through a process as defined in the SOP document. Prospective developers may submit their proposals against the requirement through the on-line system. The selection of the developer will be done as per the laid down procedures, detailed criteria is given in the SOP. Only Indian vendors including association of persons (AoP) as detailed in the SOP are eligible for participation.

Technology Development Fund (TDF): A corpus fund of Rs. 100 Cr. has been created to enable Indian industries especially MSMEs, for indigenisation of defence products, sub systems and components. The fund may also be utilised for developing new technologies as required by DRDO, Services and DPSUs. The cost of each project under TDF can be up to Rs 10 Cr. The industry can get funding up to 90% of the project cost. Details are available at website https://tdf.drdo.gov.in.

Akula

Country flag
View attachment 57229

On August 24 2020, the Turkish Aerospace Industries (TAI) has supplied another ANKA unmanned aerial vehicle (UAV) with a longer range and equipped with an automatic identification system and synthetic aperture radar (SAR), to the Turkish Naval Forces.

How turkey became a drone power?

Tuco

Country flag
View attachment 57229

Big industrial houses of India run to Israel for technology, start ups actually. Are they investing in R&D at all. In India real R&D is being done by startups, whether they will succeed or not is another thing but atleast they are trying. Are big cash rich industrial houses are even trying?

Suryavanshi

Cheeni KLPDhokebaaz

Big industrial houses of India run to Israel for technology, start ups actually. Are they investing in R&D at all. In India real R&D is being done by startups, whether they will succeed or not is another thing but atleast they are trying. Are big cash rich industrial houses are even trying?
Big corporates will gulp up Startups and increase their own R&D Base.
The startups which survive and remain independent may become the next Corporate entity's.

This is the MO world over. Google has gulped up several startup to reach where it is today.

Tuco

Country flag
Big corporates will gulp up Startups and increase their own R&D Base.
The startups which survive and remain independent may become the next Corporate entity's.

This is the MO world over. Google has gulped up several startup to reach where it is today.
I know that, but where is the innovation from big companies? Google buys a lot of start-ups but also has robust in house R&D. Where is that wow product of Tata and Mahindra. L&T and Kalyani are trying and we can see that. Tata has been playing around kestrel for quite while with the help of DRDO but where is there own product.
Edit:
Well looks like Tata is gearing up. I read that they are also planning and doing R&D on batteries.

Last edited:

Latest Replies

Global Defence

New threads

Articles