DRDO, PSU and Private Defence Sector News

shuvo@y2k10

Country flag
any surety???
No, just a speculation considering the physical similarity of the missiles. However, we also know testing of Phase 2 of BMD to begin shorty, given Phase 1 is ready for deployment for quite a while. I would consider the class equivalents as the following:
S-400: XRSAM
THAAD: PDV
SM-3 : AD-1 and AD-2
GMD : PDV MK2 (Shakti missile)

Last edited:

Raj Malhotra

Country flag
It might be new design for AAD for BMD purpose. Its mounted on a 12×12 vehicle. Can someone estimate length & diameter? Then we will get better picture.

Present conjectures:-

AKASH NG
XRSAM
AAD-2
variant of Prahaar, Pragati = Pranash

Bajirao

Country flag
It might be new design for AAD for BMD purpose. Its mounted on a 12×12 vehicle. Can someone estimate length & diameter? Then we will get better picture.

Present conjectures:-

AKASH NG
XRSAM
AAD-2
variant of Prahaar, Pragati = Pranash
That is a plastic made scale model placed on a wooden desk, not a real one

porky_kicker

Country flag
That is a plastic made scale model placed on a wooden desk, not a real one
SMH

I have posted pic of K4 model during hydrodynamic testing , yeah the only one in existence ever in public domain . Those who have seen it will tell you . So you will contest the same claiming it is only a model .

The said model was commissioned by drdo specifically for a reason . DRDO is not in the business of producing toys unless you think otherwise.

So don't come up with ad hominem conjectures just for the sake of it.

porky_kicker

Country flag
Long time no see, how you doing ?

Ag.jpg

images (1).jpeg

I am thinking there is a high possibility it is the extended range version of VL-SRSAM ie VLSRSAM-ER

Note the booster in the rear

There was collaboration with the mbda and drdo under the Maitri program to develop a SRSAM untill it was put into cold storage. Most probably drdo decided to use the knowledge and experience gained to develop a missile on its own with similar and better capabilities as VL-SRSAM and VLSRSAM-ER

Note the similarities ( long chord wings [ 2 ver 4 ] , rear fins [ 4 ver 4 ] ) in the missile proposed by mbda and the said drdo model ( minus the booster ) . DRDO also added a booster to field an extended range version of VL-SRSAM. It makes sense doesn't it ? As usual it is open to speculation untill drdo itself reveals the same.

IMO MRSAM-ER if it exists will follow the template of existing MRSAM , only difference will be an additional booster stage to increase range.

Last edited:

BangaliBabu

Country flag
SMH

I have posted pic of K4 model during hydrodynamic testing , yeah the only one in existence ever in public domain . Those who have seen it will tell you . So you will contest the same claiming it is only a model .

The said model was commissioned by drdo specifically for a reason . DRDO is not in the business of producing toys unless you think otherwise.

no that picture was indeed that of a scale-model

fire starter

Tihar Jail
Banned
Country flag

View attachment 47635

View attachment 47634

I am thinking there is a high possibility it is the extended range version of VL-SRSAM ie VLSRSAM-ER

There was collaboration with the mbda and drdo under the Maitri program to develop a SRSAM untill it was put into cold storage. Most probably drdo decided to use the knowledge and experience gained to develop a missile on its own with similar and better capabilities as VL-SRSAM and VLSRSAM-ER

Note the similarities ( long chord wings [ 2 ver 4 ] , rear fins [ 4 ver 4 ] ) in the missile proposed by mbda and the said drdo model ( minus the booster ) . DRDO also added a booster to field an extended range version of VL-SRSAM. It makes sense doesn't it ? As usual it is open to speculation untill drdo itself reveals the same.

IMO MRSAM-ER if it exists will follow the template of existing MRSAM , only difference will be an additional booster stage to increase range.
recently there was news going on that drdo extended the range of MRSAM . if it's true then it will add a another layer of air defence in our ships. anyway I am eagerly waiting for naval version of xrsam.

Karthi

Country flag

View attachment 47635

View attachment 47634

The above Picture doesn't have Tail Fins , certainly it is difficult to identify the Missile without clear picture . Tail fin is one of The major control surface of the Missile.

porky_kicker

Country flag
The above Picture doesn't have Tail Fins , certainly it is difficult to identify the Missile without clear picture . Tail fin is one of The major control surface of the Missile.
In the drdo missile ?

4 folded tail fins are clearly visible to me

Bajirao

Country flag
SMH

I didn't mean that..i just wanted to tell that the missile prototype still may not produced and it is in initial r&d stage..at first glance i thought it is real and missile is ready for testing...

Bajirao

Country flag

View attachment 47635

View attachment 47634

Good prediction......if you notice older ground lunched astra there is similarity of wing design between astra and the unknown missile (although astra wing is shorter). Drdo changed the wing design of astra due to vibration problem at higher altitude caused by the previous design..but here vl-astra not going to be used in upper altitude, so drdo used the previous wing design with long chord.....but, the unknown missile have six canistered luncher on the other hand you confirmed that vl-astra will have 4 canistered luncher....

porky_kicker

Country flag
Have some similarities with MICA VL

View attachment 47651
SRSAM under maitri project was based on mica vl to some extent due to involvement of mbda

SRSAM under maitri project had 4 long chords and 4 rear fins , and rest of missile was clean with no strakes ( mini chords ) near the nose cone ( but seen in mica vl )

DRDO SRSAM has 2 long chords and 4 rear fins and clean aerodynamic configuration on rest of missile body

Latest Replies

Global Defence

New threads

Articles