DRDO, PSU and Private Defence Sector News

shuvo@y2k10

Country flag
Just a month before his demise, former President APJ Abdul Kalam had advised DRDO chief Satheesh Reddy to work on reusable missiles system that can deliver a payload and launch it, come back and take another payload. Reddy was then the Scientific Adviser to the Defence Minister.

"After I became the scientific adviser, I met him (Kalam) at his residence just a month before his demise. He came up with the idea of reusable missile, delivering a payload, coming back, then take another payload and launch it... 'Work on this type of system', he told me," Reddy recalled.

The meeting was held at the library. "That is the vision he had," Reddy added. Kalam died on July 27, 2015. The former president resided at 10, Rajaji Marg, a single-storey bungalow spread over an area of 11,776 sq ft with the ground floor housing a library and an attached reading space.

The Defence Research and Development Organisation (DRDO) Chairman said he first came in contact with Kalam as a young scientist in 1986. In 2012, the then DRDO Chairman V K Saraswat, in an interview to Doordarshan, said India plans to develop reusable missile system.

"We have propulsion technology, we have re-entry technologies, we have the technology which can take a re-entry system which will deliver a payload and have yet another re-entry system which will bring the missile back when it re-enters the atmosphere on its return journey," Saraswat had said.

Reusable rockets are currently becoming popular. With its Falcon 9, Elon Musk's SpaceX is also looking at capitalising on this technology. The Indian Space Research Organisation (ISRO) successfully flight tested Reusable Launch Vehicle-Technology Demonstrator (RLV-TD).

https://www.newsnation.in/india/new...do-chief-a-month-before-his-death-232009.html

porky_kicker

Country flag
Long time back i posted a cropped out pic of a missile section from a small Pvt company , funny thing was the person working on another piece of the same was a sweet old grandma with a boring machine and all smiles with her fake set of teeths , i am guessing 60+ years old at the least. :biggrin2:

I suddenly remembered now, when i first saw the pic , it seemed so funny thinking if the porkies learnt how of all people, Indian grandmas are working on missiles to blow their useless asses sky high en masse , there would be no end to their chagrin. :pound:

Last edited:

Chinmoy

Country flag
Based on news available so far, Sputnik just created a rumour. That’s about it.

Sputnik just confused people by saying OFB developed a new gun, but quite possibly OFB is planning to sell new equipment(maybe upgraded) but from old designs.

I will stick with this possibility until some new information comes to the fore, if there is new info it would definitely come up during def expo next year.
The upgrades of old L-70 and ZU-23 were not carried out by OFB.

ezsasa

Designated Cynic
Country flag
The upgrades of old L-70 and ZU-23 were not carried out by OFB.
L-70 was upgraded by GCF - jabalpur, L&T, BEL
ZU-23-2 was upgraded by Punj-Lloyd, Bharat Forge(maybe).

Chinmoy

Country flag
L-70 was upgraded by GCF - jabalpur, L&T, BEL
ZU-23-2 was upgraded by Punj-Lloyd, Bharat Forge(maybe).
ZU-23 too was carried out by L&T. So you see, OFB has not played any role in these overall upgradation. Only the barrel part of L-70 was done by OFB.

Chinmoy

Country flag
What kind of other worldly seekers does the IA seek.. Nag has been performing fine in the desert at extreme temperatures both during day and night.
I am talking about maturity.

It is working fine as of now. But after it enters initial limited series production, it would require atleast a year or so to mature enough in hands of user. Only after that series production of the missile could be expected. Unless NAG enters into series production, we can't expect HELINA induction. We might only see a limited production of the same.

Articles