DRDO, PSU and Private Defence Sector News

HariPrasad-1

Country flag
Only Indrajeet and lord Parshuram belongs to Ati Maharathi category. Rest all great warriors comes in Maharathi Category including Lord Ram, Ravan, Lakshman, Arjun, Bhishma, Dronacharya, Ashwasthama, God Narsimha etc. One Atimaharathi is equal to 12 Maharathi.

Prashant12

Country flag
Indian Army tanks now have sharper night vision equipment developed by DRDO

The new DRDO equipment is meant for a clearer night vision even when it's pitch dark. It will have a higher range of sight, compared to the existing technology.

New Delhi: The Defence Research and Development Organisation (DRDO) has indigenously developed Thermal Imaging and Day Sight equipment to arm the tanks in Indian Army’s inventory with a sharper night vision, ThePrint has learnt.

The night vision equipment, to be installed in the T-72 and T-90 tanks, is meant for a clearer night vision even in pitch darkness. It will have a higher range of sight as compared to the existing technology, said a DRDO official.

It can be used for both day and night operations, and also boasts of superior image processing features at any given time of the day. Further, it will serve the same purpose on both varieties of tanks, only the mechanics would be different, added the official who didn’t wish to be named.

Out of an order of about 1,000 units of the night vision equipment for the T-72 tanks, nearly 300 have already been delivered to the Army, said the official. For these tanks, the equipment will have a 3-km range for tank targets.

The night vision equipment being developed for the T-90 tanks will have a range of around 4 km and will help in “battlefield surveillance, acquisition and firing on targets” and provide a “hunter-killer” capability to tank commander, said the DRDO official.

The equipment units for the T-90 tanks are yet to be delivered.

The night vision equipment has been developed by DRDO’s Instruments Research and Development Establishment, and is being jointly produced by Bharat Electronics Limited, Machilipatnam, and Ordnance Factory, Dehradun.

Upgraded technology
The DRDO official told ThePrint, “So far, image intensive tubes were used for night sight in the tanks which had a range of 150-200 metres and also required some amount of light to process a clear image. This was an old technology. Now, it will be replaced with the new equipment developed by us.”

There are over 5,000 tanks in the Indian Army’s inventory.

A senior Army officer told ThePrint that the latest equipment will provide better vision at night as it is a technology upgrade for the tanks over the existing one.

“The project started around 2011-2012 and it has been a collaborative effort between the DRDO and the Army.

“The equipment is working well for the T-72 tanks, but there have been some issues with the ones for T-90 tanks. We are working on it and hopefully they should be sorted out soon,” said the officer, who did not want to be named.

https://theprint.in/defence/indian-army-tanks-sharper-night-vision-equipment-developed-drdo/297637/

Flying Dagger

Country flag
What about vyaghra (meaning tiger)… I think the first prototype was called 'tiger-bird' due to the tiger symbol pasted on it... and tiger is a ferocious predator that pounces on its prey all of sudden by remaining hidden using its camouflage, just like attack helicopters ambush their targets.. So I feel, this name too can be considered..
Hmm Chetak : still sounds better War horse of Indian Army.
Ulka, Lava are also fearsome names. We should name our fuel air explosive shell or bombs Ulka.
Yes I really liked the name Ulka it will be cool to name missile

Lava is bang on too .

See we are getting better names than The marketing team of PSU who comes up with name like nirbhay for cruise missiles

Or ghaatak rifle Excalibur matlab itna bura haal hain that they can't get a proper Indian name forget abt quality control.

Name should bring confidence among soldiers and must be fiery.

Rajaraja Chola

Country flag
Only Indrajeet and lord Parshuram belongs to Ati Maharathi category. Rest all great warriors comes in Maharathi Category including Lord Ram, Ravan, Lakshman, Arjun, Bhishma, Dronacharya, Ashwasthama, God Narsimha etc. One Atimaharathi is equal to 12 Maharathi.
It is only Indrajit. Parshuram never commanded an army. You can be a maharathi only if you command an army.

Indrajit is very popular in Thai folklore.

ladder

Country flag
If it is a war bird name should be Meghanaad, the name for Indrajeet.

Rajaraja Chola

Country flag
If it is a war bird name should be Meghanaad, the name for Indrajeet.
Noob question. Why cant people in some parts cant use '-na' when pronounciation. I mean real names even in epics are Rava'na', Kar'na', Meghana'da' etc. But people use Ravan or worst is Karn... It destroys the beauty or authenticity of our ancient names..

But yes Meghanad is an apt name for LCH Mk2.

Flying Dagger

Country flag
whenever I read chetak it reminds me of

Bajaj Chetak. Just realised from your post it has a fearsome reputation.
Chetak was the famous war horse of Maharana Pratap ... I don't know if you know anything abt Indian history

Bajaj chetak has been done so long I didn't even remember that it existed But yes one of the most reliable and memorable transport vehicle of its time .

HariPrasad-1

Country flag
Hmm Chetak : still sounds better War horse of Indian Army.

Yes I really liked the name Ulka it will be cool to name missile

Lava is bang on too .

See we are getting better names than The marketing team of PSU who comes up with name like nirbhay for cruise missiles

Or ghaatak rifle Excalibur matlab itna bura haal hain that they can't get a proper Indian name forget abt quality control.

Name should bring confidence among soldiers and must be fiery.
The worst thing which happened is naming export variant of Prahar as Pragati.
Bloody what Pragati means? Are you naming an Indian Railways engine?

HariPrasad-1

Country flag
It is only Indrajit. Parshuram never commanded an army. You can be a maharathi only if you command an army.

Indrajit is very popular in Thai folklore.
Parshuram was that that warrior who never need any Army. He finished off the Kshatriya from the map of Earth on 21 times. Alone finish the the whole Army of sahastrarjun and his sons too.

Indrajit

Country flag
What about the n against Vashisth)ame Parshuram? The greatest warrior ever born on this planet? I would like some weapon to be named after Ravan's son Indrajit who was a great warrior after Parshuram ever born.
Parshuram might have been a great warrior (though the story of his is almost certainly made up as is the story of Vishwamitra rising from a king to Brahmarishi to try and rival Vasishta, he existed but that part is made up or even the story of King Bharata.....) but greatest he was not. He could not beat Bhishma and acknowledged that, after days of combat.

Last edited:

Articles