DRDO, PSU and Private Defence Sector News

Chinmoy

Country flag
thats why i confused why mg/gpmg was not used. It would have given longer range, unless the system they are developing whether AI or not has engagement distance limited to as far as human eye can see
These are supposed to be light weight, easily assembled and cost effective systems. With current GPMG fleet available, none of these would be possible.

Illusive

Country flag
NO, its not embarrassing at all. Its all in our mind. We are too attracted to blings and like shiny toys rather then practical solutions readily available.
Not at all, I want to know how this is better than dedicated CIWS in terms of practicality, reloading times, costs, accuracy, reliability and maintenance.

Chinmoy

Country flag
Not at all, I want to know how this is better than dedicated CIWS in terms of practicality, reloading times, costs, accuracy, reliability and maintenance.
This is a man portable system which could be assembled in no time at any given location and geography.

With abundance of INSAS available which we are anyhow moving to reserve, we don't have to go to the length of moving papers to make such a system.

So in all practical purpose, a system which is readily available to shoot is 100 times better then a system which is in paper.

Satish Sharma

Country flag
even astra mk 2 isn't tested yet, astra mk 3 is very least 10 years away from induction it seems
The astra mk2 has successfully competed all the trials on su30.. full flight envelope testing is completed.
In mid 2022 it was tested from universal ejector launcher.
It successfully completed safe separation ejection trials..
this year Astra mk2 will be tested or its already tested. Infact developmental trials are complete quality testing & then user trials should be complete or this year will be completed.
Astra mk3 is also test fired already from su30. Many tests were already conducted from ground.
inflight trials are expected in late 2024 or early 2025. So as per mk2's journey testing will starts in 2 years 2027-28 and induction by 2029.. @Chinmoy what do u think ?
I believe it will be inducted in 4 years.
I do want Pakistan to do a big big misadventure bring down iaf to its knees with pl15. Without this I don't think they will Fastrack the testing/induction.. I still have a hope for mk2 that they have inducted it secretly but this is usual coping mechanism.

Last edited:

Blood+

Country flag
These systems are being made by the forces themselves in house. These are more of a jugaad system which they have came up.
Even the automation part has been developed in house by them without any input from outside agency. So its basically putting up with what is already available instead of looking for something from outside.
Well, couldn't they have used some FN MAGs or PKMs for their jugaad instead??

ezsasa

Designated Cynic
Country flag
View attachment 257874
I got this pic here, also from Johnette
Founder is ex navy I guess
interesting bit is, U.S military wallahs used to complain about RQ-11 ravens crashing when hand launched, we haven't heard such complaint from Indian military yet.

RQ-11 used to cost 25000 USD at that time.

Articles