DRDO, PSU and Private Defence Sector News

Blood+

Country flag
Theatre exploitation. How did Mirages manage to sneak into Balakot.
Create and exploit local conditions. I am not going to say much more.
I get all that but that was not my question!! What I'm asking is whether the Jags have long enough range to be effective against targets in the Tibetan plateau (I'm not talking about air interdiction sorties over the immediate battle area). Against the Pakistanis, I've no doubt they will be quite effective given the proximity of the targets.

Chinmoy

Country flag
Wait. Who is in right head is poo pooing the DARIN III Jaguars ? And why the fuck are we listening to him?
The D3 Jag is hands down the best WILD WEASEL we have in inventory right now. Nothing else can penetrate Chinese AD and knock out C2 sites. Except the Rafale - but your 36 Rafales can only do so much at the same time.
Can't help. We have people here for whom EMOTION is always before LOGIC.

Chinmoy

Country flag
I get all that but that was not my question!! What I'm asking is whether the Jags have long enough range to be effective against targets in the Tibetan plateau (I'm not talking about air interdiction sorties over the immediate battle area). Against the Pakistanis, I've no doubt they will be quite effective given the proximity of the targets.
Combat radius of Jags and Tejas is nearly same. So when it comes to Tibetan plateau, don't expect bombing run at vital installations unless fighters are operating from FABs.

Blood+

Country flag
Combat radius of Jags and Tejas is nearly same. So when it comes to Tibetan plateau, don't expect bombing run at vital installations unless fighters are operating from FABs.
I was comparing it with Sukhois and Rafales. Anyway, on an entirely unrelated note, you think whether it'd be possible to put the SAAW inside an MLRS rocket and use that as a ground launched PGM??

Chinmoy

Country flag
I was comparing it with Sukhois and Rafales. Anyway, on an entirely unrelated note, you think whether it'd be possible to put the SAAW inside an MLRS rocket and use that as a ground launched PGM??
You can't put SAAW in Smerch or Pinaka. We have to design a entirely new Rocket for that.

ezsasa

Designated Cynic
Country flag
on an entirely unrelated note, you think whether it'd be possible to put the SAAW inside an MLRS rocket and use that as a ground launched PGM??
similar idea, different method

I hope IA asks DRDO to develop pinaka with optical sensors along with current guidance package.

Precision guided pinaka with optical sensors, IA can then send pinaka into windows of tango houses, and use pinaka like NAG, SANT & Hellfire but with a 90 kms range.

Satish Sharma

Country flag
Why not?? What's the weight and diameter of SAAW?? From what I see, it should fit inside a 300mm rocket, no??
Pinaka warhead is 100kg, saaw is 125kg..
Pinaka is just 214mm in diameter.
We don't know what's the breadth of saaw.
They are working with Israelis to increase its accuracy.. having a eo will be great. we could hit a helicopter with pinpoint accuracy upto 90km and even 120km with newer Variant..
There will be challenges/complexities like how will you keep the seeker cool. It flies at such a high speed when it nose downs.
Pinnaka reaches max speed of mach 4.. nobody has tried this as of now..
Offtopic,
Video have came from Ukraine, Excalibur hitting mi17 with pinpoint accuracy.. right on the top. We should posses same capabilities at long ranges by any other means. Kind of like spice kit but ground launched..

Azaad

Country flag
You can do that with loitering munitions . It'd be cost effective too compared to outfitting a rocket with EO sensors. Plus given the speed & trajectory of a Pinaka or similar rockets , I'm not sure it can be done. Which is why the best one can do with such rockets is convert them into guided rockets.

Satish Sharma

Country flag
You can do that with loitering munitions . It'd be cost effective too compared to outfitting a rocket with EO sensors. Plus given the speed & trajectory of a Pinaka or similar rockets , I'm not sure it can be done. Which is why the best one can do with such rockets is convert them into guided rockets.
It would be better to increase the accuracy of pinnaka which they are doing.
And rather than developing this eo rocket make a long range BB & rocket assisted Excalibur shell..

Last edited:

Satish Sharma

Country flag
I think you missed the 300mm part.
So on a 300mm... Could be worth it.. saaw has 80-100km range depending upon altitude.. if many such are launched at once they're is no way anybody can survive this. And that too EO guided saaw will be excellent combo. Eo saaw is under development btw..
The 300mm pinnaka is under development that alone will have atleast 150-200km range..
Putting this on it could be a great deal..
Nice idea btw..

Last edited: