DRDO, PSU and Private Defence Sector News

Arihant Roy

Country flag
What is the difference in the roles of Rudram II and Brahmos ALCM when the former is used for ground attack?
There are some differences.
1. RudraM II is a lot cheaper than Brahmos.

2. Whereas a Su-30MKI can carry a single Brahmos,it can carry 5 R2.

3. R2 can also be carried on other platforms like Tejas mk1/mk1A/mk2 and even Rafale if it is ever integrated thus giving a lot more versatility and choice of options.

4. Both carry similar weight warheads. However in case of Brahmos, it can penetrate RCC a lot more due to its M 2.8 speed vs >M 1 for R2. This Brahmos will be used for more heavily buried targets.

5. Due to higher speed of Brahmos, it has better chances of penetrating a hostile nation's tiered in depth IADS.

mamamia12

There are some differences.
1. RudraM II is a lot cheaper than Brahmos.

2. Whereas a Su-30MKI can carry a single Brahmos,it can carry 5 R2.

3. R2 can also be carried on other platforms like Tejas mk1/mk1A/mk2 and even Rafale if it is ever integrated thus giving a lot more versatility and choice of options.

4. Both carry similar weight warheads. However in case of Brahmos, it can penetrate RCC a lot more due to its M 2.8 speed vs >M 1 for R2. This Brahmos will be used for more heavily buried targets.

5. Due to higher speed of Brahmos, it has better chances of penetrating a hostile nation's tiered in depth IADS.
So Rudram 2 takes the route of Ultimate Speed i.e Wikipedia listed it as Mach 5.5 which is quite fast and i suppose those huge control surfaces are for terminal maneuvering in case instead of dumb ballistic course without which it is easy to intercept. So any way since Ultimate Stealth is not viable due to some technology gap via Turbofans or Sensors etc, I think even Tejas MK1A can carry atleast 2 of them much more Su-30MKI can haul 6 of them. Overwhelm the enemy through numbers and I think this is easier and cheaper to manufacture than Stealthy Cruise Missiles isn't it.

NutCracker

Country flag
So Rudram 2 takes the route of Ultimate Speed i.e Wikipedia listed it as Mach 5.5 which is quite fast and i suppose those huge control surfaces are for terminal maneuvering in case instead of dumb ballistic course without which it is easy to intercept. So any way since Ultimate Stealth is not viable due to some technology gap via Turbofans or Sensors etc, I think even Tejas MK1A can carry atleast 2 of them much more Su-30MKI can haul 6 of them. Overwhelm the enemy through numbers and I think this is easier and cheaper to manufacture than Stealthy Cruise Missiles isn't it.
1706926158459.png

Pazhassiraja

Country flag
Can Brahmos be used against moving targets? Why I ask this is, Rudram II has a speed of Mach 5.5, while Brahmos has Mach 3. So, even if it is lower in weight, it can generate kinetic energy as high as Brahmos in addition to the same amount of warhead to penetrate deep targets, which effectively reduces the requirement of Brahmos other than to attack moving targets.

NutCracker

Country flag
Can Brahmos be used against moving targets? Why I ask this is, Rudram II has a speed of Mach 5.5, while Brahmos has Mach 3. So, even if it is lower in weight, it can generate kinetic energy as high as Brahmos in addition to the same amount of warhead to penetrate deep targets, which effectively reduces the requirement of Brahmos other than to attack moving targets.
You can see in brochure pic I post that RUdram2 is left with 1.1 mach only at impact phase.

NoobWannaLearn

Country flag
Better to use htse 1200 as a turbofan. Hopefully we will see one out of the CATs program.
Where even is Cats program rn.

Haps smaller model is flying.

Warrior has had a design change and it's smaller model is ready/flying dw if it's flying tbh.

Ruav was announced yesterday

Alfa S prototype by this year's end I think.

No clue what's up with hunter.

karn

Country flag
This project still is making the fastest progress I have ever seen by Indian defence standard maybe cause Newspace is involved.
Yeah.. but so far only the infinity is there in some form .. Warrior, Hunter are nowhere to be seen. I think newspace makes the control software it's still upto HAL to prototype the airframes

NoobWannaLearn

Country flag
Yeah.. but so far only the infinity is there in some form .. Warrior, Hunter are nowhere to be seen. I think newspace makes the control software it's still upto HAL to prototype the airframes
Infinite, warrior did have a small prototype HV sir posted it on Twitter,Alfa S has some update I don't remember what I will have to check it out,Hunter I still haven't understood what even is it,ruav has been announced yesterday so I don't expect anything and HALE program is just a thought at this point tbh.

SilentlAssassin265

Country flag
Ballistic trajectories are not maneuverable while bramhos can take 90 degree sharp turn and can also fly very close to ground

DumbPilot

Country flag
cheaper missile basically
@Pazhassiraja
Rudram is an ARM(anti radiation missile - home in onto selected radar sites). Brahmos on the other hand is a precision guided missile that homes in onto the selected coordinates.

While both can be used to target ground based installations(in the case of Brahmos ground attack variant), the Brahmos has a far bigger warhead(200-300kg with a total weight of 1200-3000kg) as compared to the Rudram's(total weight of 600kg)'s weight.

Another big differenciation is in the role they're both used in. Rudram will most likely be used in D/SEAD operations to open up air corridors along with other weapons. Brahmos would be most likely used in precision strike scenarios(be it SAM sites, installations, C3 nodes, ..)

TLDR: both missiles are good, but serve different purposes, and it depends on the situation if they could be used in exchange of each other.

1706965555334.png

SwordOfDarkness

Country flag
@Pazhassiraja
Rudram is an ARM(anti radiation missile - home in onto selected radar sites). Brahmos on the other hand is a precision guided missile that homes in onto the selected coordinates.

While both can be used to target ground based installations(in the case of Brahmos ground attack variant), the Brahmos has a far bigger warhead(200-300kg with a total weight of 1200-3000kg) as compared to the Rudram's(total weight of 600kg)'s weight.

Another big differenciation is in the role they're both used in. Rudram will most likely be used in D/SEAD operations to open up air corridors along with other weapons. Brahmos would be most likely used in precision strike scenarios(be it SAM sites, installations, C3 nodes, ..)

TLDR: both missiles are good, but serve different purposes, and it depends on the situation if they could be used in exchange of each other.

View attachment 239346
The question was about the ground attack version of Rudram 2 (not SEAD version) though your explanation about SEAD vs regular ground attack missiles is good.

Articles