DRDO, PSU and Private Defence Sector News

jai jaganath

Country flag
Changing drones is not the solution. This data link BS seems like another of those excuses that IAF/ Army are very good at cooking up to reject Indian maal.

I think after the chandigarh lobby, we are now seeing the rise of the Amdavad lobby.
That's the reason why I posted it
It's my 3rd time listening to this excuse wrt equipments
But I don't know why @Hellfire ji always give this particular reason for tapas
And yeah obviously a lobby is emerging
Adani or amadavad lobby

johnj

That's the reason why I posted it
It's my 3rd time listening to this excuse wrt equipments
But I don't know why @Hellfire ji always give this particular reason for tapas
And yeah obviously a lobby is emerging
Adani or amadavad lobby
Data link is a issue. Our armed forces don't have a common data link.
Means R&D organization can only add secure communication link after getting user order, it is similar to LCH EW suite, IA and IAF can choose different EW suite according to their requirement, like wise IA, IAF and IN an choose what secure communication they want in Tapas
Why our armed forces buying Israel and US drones insisted of tapas ?
Both US and Israel drones are fully developed ones and comes with full package, with advanced AIS, advanced sensors, satcom, huge range and global satcom etc,

AnantS

Country flag
I am guessing it's an unmanned luh same as we saw in cats video
they have been planning to work since original RUAV saga - where plan was to convert chetak helicopters into drones. They must be close to celebrating first jubilee of this idea being germinated and kept alive with yearly announcement & every two year a hopeful model and presentation deck updates.

NoobWannaLearn

Country flag
they have been planning to work since original RUAV saga - where plan was to convert chetak helicopters into drones.
They might still convert chetak first to test it like they will be doing to migs I think and ruav is just going nowhere it's stuck there forever with no progress at all

AnantS

Country flag
They might still convert chetak first to test it like they will be doing to migs I think and ruav is just going nowhere it's stuck there forever with no progress at all
chetak conversion is dead. it took years and lot of money in iai coffers to come to understanding that chetak as an analog helicopter is ill suited for conversion.

Chinmoy

Country flag
Rather than the above, I have heard that the transponder has low data rates and hence real time satcom has latency issues?

Is it true?

Also aren't we using Western transponder for the Indian Navy communication satellite (don't know sat name)?
Let me ask you a general question.

You are using an I-Phone or lets say any high end android phone in an area which don't have decent 4G coverage, leave alone 5G. So would your phone provide you decent bandwidth? So where is the point of saying that the phone is faulty?

NutCracker

Country flag
Rather than the above, I have heard that the transponder has low data rates and hence real time satcom has latency issues?

Is it true?

Also aren't we using Western transponder for the Indian Navy communication satellite (don't know sat name)?

Tapas with 18h edurance has no use for NAVY. Hence I think we might not be using western transponder even if there was any plan.

Aniruddha Mulay

Tapas with 18h edurance has no use for NAVY. Hence I think we might not be using western transponder even if there was any plan.
I am still unable to process as to what those additional 6 hours worth of endurance are going to bring to the table.
Are the forces expecting all action to take place in those last 6 hours?

AnantS

Country flag
I am still unable to process as to what those additional 6 hours worth of endurance are going to bring to the table.
More EEZ can be covered in a single sortie? 24 is minimum. More is even more better.

NutCracker

Country flag
Imagine that Navy has to conduct an anti-Sub operation just 1000km far from shore in southern IOR. (1000km is nothing if you look into the map) .
Both Tapas and Heron has 200kmph speed. It will take them 10hrs to and fro.
Leaving only 8 hours of loitering for Tapas , but 20 hours of loitering for Hermes. That's huge difference.

In case of army's Border reconn, Tapas drone can take off from J& K and land somewhere in N.E. , Navy does not have this convenience.

Azaad

Country flag
The concept of incremental development is lost on our armed forces & most members here. We want a perfect iteration to be inducted from get go. Khud Rajpal Yadav par shaadi Aishwarya Rai se karni hain.

ezsasa

Designated Cynic
Mod
Country flag
theoretical scenario :

let's say IN's operational handbook says, they need 24 x 7 sorties in a week in a AOR. that's 168 hours in a week. since it is a machine, it needs maintenance downtime too.

let's take 6 hours as the shortfall, 6hrs deficit per sortie adds upto 42 hrs deficit per week, which is almost 2.5 sorties shortfall. this means either existing equipment has to fly more or more equipment has to be procured to sustain operational levels.

Global Defence

New threads

Articles