DRDO, PSU and Private Defence Sector News

Shuturmurg

Country flag
We do not have answers to the huge and diverse fleet of UAVs that China is building. These will act as disposable force multipliers, jets cannot take off with all the stores? No problem they will have four may be five UAVs carrying munitions for the jets, how will we counter these. Solution has to be from within. With all the things that are happening, we are just stagnant. We are in for some real pain.
I don't think we have capacity of doing sustained warfare with china for months.

jai jaganath

Country flag

Chinmoy

Country flag
it won't derail the project but they will definately order them in less numbers now and they will put there money on Archer ng and in all honesty tapas has been a bit disappointing in terms of timelines and still the meeting the requirements
What is the number you expected the order to be when as a designer you have been unable to even achieve what you have stated?

Hermes or No Hermes, don't expect the order of TAPAS to exceed more then 60. If it goes over that, I'll be pleasantly surprised.

Chinmoy

Country flag

Welp there goes project cheetah too
That's why you shouldn't loose your sleep to our esteemed media outlets. MoD and forces are screwing them us big time. How?

You might have not even considered reading the link I provided. Here is an excerpt from that.

There is also a major upgrade plan lined up for all the Heron to Mk2 for weaponisation and facilitation of SATCOM capability estimated to cost of ₹21,000 crore. However, that has been long delayed and officials expressed confidence that it would be cleared soon.

NoobWannaLearn

Country flag
That's why you shouldn't loose your sleep to our esteemed media outlets. MoD and forces are screwing them us big time. How?

You might have not even considered reading the link I provided. Here is an excerpt from that.
I did read the article you sent however both articles are from shitty media outlets both came out in same day claiming different things so it's natural to have my doubts.

NoobWannaLearn

Country flag
What is the number you expected the order to be when as a designer you have been unable to even achieve what you have stated?

Hermes or No Hermes, don't expect the order of TAPAS to exceed more then 60. If it goes over that, I'll be pleasantly surprised.
60 is still decent I was expecting 40 hopefully it happens then.

The Shrike

Country flag
Wow they have started buying MALE UAVs using "emergency" - 2 for each service? About time to close this loophole.

patriots

Defense lover
Country flag

johnj

Consider these
Meanwhile, sources also argued that spending too much on arming drones makes no sense because the airspace that India has to fight in is heavily contested, unlike when an American just flies into countries without any air defence to strike at targets.
MoD and forces are totally confused what to buy - drone or loitering munitions or missile ?? in big nos. at the end - buy all in small nos.

Eagle Eye

Country flag
Cheetah upgrade(arming) VS loitering munition. Cost analysis with wargaming needed to find the balance...

johnj

so the total is :
- 4 Heron mk2(IAF) - already inducted
- 4 Hermes 900(IN + IA) - ordered
IA and IAF using Heron mk2. 4 = IAF. 4 = IA, range 250km
4 Hermes 900(IN + IA) - ordered, with assembly in India; Adani Elbit UAV Complex
and comes with SATCOM . 1000km+ range
Not sure, but
IAF also place order for additional 2 Heron mk2

Last edited:

jai jaganath

Country flag
Today rajat pandit reported about project cheetah ... Now snehesh Alex ...contradicts.....

Baba banaras....is more reliable...
Pata nahi kya chal Raha hai
Today 3 reports imerged
1st ani
2nd rajat pandit toi
3rd alex print
Many things are conflicting except Hermes 900 purchase
@Chinmoy ji why is it so
I mean is it all coincidence
Coz I don't feel so

jai jaganath

Country flag

UnderFingy

Country flag

Lo ji ek aur
Didn't read as don't have subscription but if anyone can copy paste then it's good
The three services have contracted two Medium Altitude Long Endurance (MALE) Unmanned Aerial Systems (UAS) each through the fourth tranche of emergency procurements sanctioned by the government recently, all from Israel. The contracts have been concluded and the deliveries are expected early next year, multiple defence sources independently confirmed.

While the Army and Navy have procured the Hermes 900 manufactured by Elbit Systems, the Indian Air Force (IAF) has procured the Heron Mk2 from Israel Aerospace Industries (IAI). In 2021, the Army had contracted four Heron-Mk2 UAS which were inducted last year.

“The induction of Remotely Piloted Aircraft System (RPAS) Heron MKII and planned induction of Hermes 900 Star liners will not only boost the reconnaissance and surveillance capability of Indian Army but also their teaming with combat helicopters will prove to be a game changer in the third dimension,” a defence source said.

Adani Aerospace and Defence in partnership with Elbit Systems – Adani Elbit UAV Complex – manufactures the complete carbon composite aerostructures for Hermes 900 and Hermes 450 in Hyderabad.

To questions if the conflict in West Asia may impact the delivery schedule, sources said the air frame for the Hermes 900 has already been made in Hyderabad. “Some equipment has to come in from Israel which has already come in. So there is no impact with respect to that,” a source stated.

As reported by The Hindu earlier, in August 2021, the Army Aviation got control of the Army’s Heron MALE UAS which were earlier under the Artillery. “The transfer of RPAS has further enhanced our surveillance as well as strike capability and transformed Army Aviation into a potent force multiplier capable of operating in combined combat teams concept and of performing varied tasks across the varied terrain of our country,” the source cited earlier stated.

Heron upgrade
There is also a major upgrade plan lined up for all the Heron to Mk2 for weaponisation and facilitation of SATCOM capability estimated to cost of ₹21,000 crore. However, that has been long delayed and officials expressed confidence that it would be cleared soon.

Of the four Heron-MK2, two were deployed at Leh while the other two were in Eastern Command area late last year. Initially, the idea was to lease them IAI but after evaluation of the cost, the Army went for their purchase. As reported earlier, the Army is looking to create a separate cadre of UAV operators and the proposal is currently under consideration by the Army Headquarters.

Elbit Systems describes the Hermes 900 Starliner, as a “powerful and trend setting” MALE UAV that features adverse weather capabilities and qualified to be “safely integrated into civilian airspace and fly in the same environment with manned aircraft.” It has an endurance of up to 36 hours and a service ceiling of 30,000 feet.

As reported by The Hindu last month, the Chief of Defence Staff (CDS) Gen. Anil Chauhan has ordered two studies to be conducted regarding major military platforms used by all three services, on Unmanned Aerial Vehicles (UAV) and armoured helicopters. Of these, the study on UAVs has since been completed with the recommendation for 31 MQ-9B High Altitude Long Endurance (HALE) UAVs and 155 Medium Altitude Long Endurance (MALE) UAVs.

A deal to procure 31 MQ-9B High Altitude Long Endurance drones from the U.S. is currently in advanced stages.

Latest Replies

Global Defence

New threads

Articles