DRDO, PSU and Private Defence Sector News

porky_kicker

Country flag
Anyone; tell me something very interesting about DRDO's new VSHORAD missile.

Something so interesting and unique that it may be the very first time something like this has happened.
IMO HTK ( hit to kill ) capability for a manpad

And maybe
cooled IIR seeker for a manpad
With uncooled seeker you have to 1st cool the seeker before you can acquire and lock the target

I will go with HTK capability if only 1 option is there for the answer

Lonewarrior

Country flag
IMO HTK ( hit to kill ) capability for a manpad

And maybe
cooled IIR seeker for a manpad
With uncooled seeker you have to 1st cool the seeker before you can acquire and lock the target

I will go with HTK capability if only 1 option is there for the answer
Almost all MANPADs have two more redundant systems in case the primary proximity fuze fails.
First one being an impact fuze and the second one being a time or acceleration based self-destruct fuze.

But I guess you perhaps wanted to say that it's the only missile whose primary engagement mode is HTK, backed up by proximity fuze. But I've something for you too...

The StarStreak from Thales also tries to achieve a HTK with its three darts instead of a typical proximity type engagement.

Lonewarrior

Country flag
Anyone; tell me something very interesting about DRDO's new VSHORAD missile.

Something so interesting and unique that it may be the very first time something like this has happened.

Lemme see how keen of a Defence Anal-yst you're...
Remember a gentleman laughing at me on how can an ATGM be used as a SAM?
Guess what; our VSHORADs too is an ATGM.

Time and time ATGMs have shown their capability to engage low flying targets, perhaps the most famous being Stugnas downing Alligators in Ukraine. There also have been cases where ATGMs have been modified to act as MANPADs; the most interesting being that of Iranian Qaem-M where they added a proximity fuze to a TOW copy.

But as of now there have been no (obviously there maybe some that I'm unaware of) MANPAD to be developed from an ATGM.

Enters DRDO's VSHORADs
IMG_20230224_215108.jpg

- rear folding control fin; same as Nag/HELINA/Dhruvastra/SANT
- mid-body sustainer motor with four Venturi type nozzles; same as Nag
- mid-body folding stabilization fins; again same as Nag/HELI...
- warhead is obviously different; most probably a pre-fragmented type
- perhaps the most interesting feature that everyone's noticing is uncooled seeker. But no-one asked why this when every other MANPAD uses cartridge type cooled seeker. The answer is; NAG family also uses the same uncooled IIR seeker.

SwordOfDarkness

Country flag
Nah, it's just that most of the guys will do literally anything for a cat, like even backstabbing friends. Truly Pathetic
I think unfair to categorise as "most guys". Only a small fraction of people are found indulging in this stuff..... Most people in defence will be unwilling to sell secrets. IG we are guided by survivorship bias, because we get to know when some defence guy is busted, but not when ISI agents get caught or trap attempts spoiled because someone refused to go along with the deal.

aspdeepak

Country flag
Remember a gentleman laughing at me on how can an ATGM be used as a SAM?
Guess what; our VSHORADs too is an ATGM.

Time and time ATGMs have shown their capability to engage low flying targets, perhaps the most famous being Stugnas downing Alligators in Ukraine. There also have been cases where ATGMs have been modified to act as MANPADs; the most interesting being that of Iranian Qaem-M where they added a proximity fuze to a TOW copy.

But as of now there have been no (obviously there maybe some that I'm unaware of) MANPAD to be developed from an ATGM.

Enters DRDO's VSHORADsView attachment 194875
- rear folding control fin; same as Nag/HELINA/Dhruvastra/SANT
- mid-body sustainer motor with four Venturi type nozzles; same as Nag
- mid-body folding stabilization fins; again same as Nag/HELI...
- warhead is obviously different; most probably a pre-fragmented type
- perhaps the most interesting feature that everyone's noticing is uncooled seeker. But no-one asked why this when every other MANPAD uses cartridge type cooled seeker. The answer is; NAG family also uses the same uncooled IIR seeker.
ATGM uses tandem warhead.
Moreover they can be much slower since the target doest manouver like areal threat

But a SAM should have a faster booster.

And you yourself accepted "warhead is obviously different; most probably a pre-fragmented type"

Obviously any missile can use the directional thrusters for changing their angle of attack midcourse.

Seeker isn't a problem, even SRAAM uses heat seakers(IIR)

That was my point!!!

Lonewarrior

Country flag
ATGM uses tandem warhead.
Moreover they can be much slower since the target doest manouver like areal threat

But a SAM should have a faster booster.

And you yourself accepted "warhead is obviously different; most probably a pre-fragmented type"

Obviously any missile can use the directional thrusters for changing their angle of attack midcourse.

Seeker isn't a problem, even SRAAM uses heat seakers(IIR)

That was my point!!!
Show me a single sentence of mine where I've claimed that ATGMs are better than SAMs and will replace them.
You quote just one and I'll leave this forum.

"An ATGM, despite having a tandem warhead is a cost effective solution to deal with threats like UAVs"

Why are you struggling so much to get this simple logic

aspdeepak

Country flag
Show me a single sentence of mine where I've claimed that ATGMs are better than SAMs and will replace them.

"An ATGM, despite having a tandem warhead is a cost effective solution to deal with threats like UAVs"

Why on earth you would need a costly ATGM to shoot a cheap drone.

I told already that either bullets or a well placed sling shot would do the magic. Or drone gun would suffice.

If bullets can do the magic, sure an ATGM would do it better.

But my point was not about drones, fast moving low flying targets like cruise missiles and aircraft.

Moreover Altitude coverage is very important for a SAM, they are categorised based on it.

You cannot shoot down a MALE or a HALE drones with ATGM.

You have asked why we need QRSAM instead of AKASH, I clearly explained they are different class and even shared a broucher that justifies my point.

Army still wants to refine it's QRSAM tests by proving whether it can quickly engage helicopters.

ATGM is totally out of the race in this context.

You are comparing a monster truck with a rally car they are 2 different categories.

But your ego wouldn't let you accept the fact.

Arguing with you is not my priority 😅😅😅

Kuldeepm952

Country flag

Ok let's put this to rest, manpads good for fast movers and all aerial targets while atgms with proxy sensor which are fast ones like ataka b and vikhr which travels like 400-600m/sec can be reasonable effective against helis, drones which are very low flying like a 1/2 km above ground and incoming jets.

Engagement capability of manpads will always be larger than a ATGM and good for wide range of targets. There could be a case of using modified ATGMs for some of roles but seriously still slower ones like hellfire with around 250m/sec speed further pose a limited engagement envelope compared to that of ataka and vikhr. And at some point you have to ask if dedicated anti UAV systems with micro missiles made for it would be much better than some modified ATGMs.
1677261806073.png

1677261874028.png