DRDO, PSU and Private Defence Sector News

NoobWannaLearn

Country flag
I’m very very excited to see IMRH become a reality, it’ll be a game changer for the IA and IN and is desperately needed but another case of MIA, still has no CCS sanction, from sanction it’s 10 years from being production ready so 12-14 years from CCS for the first units, 20+ years for decent numbers in the 3 services. For DBMRH (navy version) add 3-4 years onto the above timelines

I remember HAL’s chief test pilot saying a few years ago he’d be flying the IMRH prototype at aero India 2023. And yet here we are
And they froze the design after aeroIndia 23 just how well our defence projects are going damn or

Anandhu Krishna

lots of ifs and buts there.

the A400M is the most suitable place interim solution between the C130 and the C17

the entire point of the MTA is to offer support to the C17/IL76 fleet in out of area transport and strategic uplift, that is the A400M’s main design brief.

anyway I won’t invest much energy in the MTA saga, it’ll likely outlive most of us

View attachment 194782

Everything about the Indian military is ifs and buts.
IAF is most likely looking for something between C295 and C17. That's why the 18-30 category.
Agreed on the last 2 points.
Aim is definitely to free the C17/il76 for long range operations while MTA for ops in and around the subcontinent.

Corvus Splendens

Country flag
I say Airbus has the highest chance of grabbing the deal. They are already deep into local production with Tata, and they make good promotion of "Atmanirvar Bharat". If IAF ever considered the C390, they'd order more C130s instead. The Atlas hauls 37 tons and flies 8500+kms with that max load. That alone is a juicy prospect for the IAF to take the load off the C-17s and Il-76s.
1677186253402.png

Blademaster

What about flights into and out of the Himalayas airports? High altitude take offs and landings? That’s the most important criteria.

Bleh

Laughing member
Country flag
🤦‍♂️

There is nothing like a Quick Reaction SAM and traditional SAM, all have same reaction time and velocity...ESAD turns off, firing signal is generated, squib is fired aur phir lagti hai solid propellant ki g**nd me aag aur शूईईई...

Again wrong about how QRSAM is supposed to be more mobile and keep up with infantry. QRSAM is mounted on truck and one variant of Akash is based on BMP-2; now you tell me, which's more mobile?

It's a simply a result of convergent evolution where Akash evolved into Akash NG and Astra into QRSAM and now we have this weird redundancy that makes absolutely no sense.
The way i understand it ones is more standalone area/point defence element, while another is meant for protecting logistic & formations.

Also little variation is good. You don't want to find out a weakness is a good model (like American figured out the Zeros couldn't follow them in a dive) & have no alternatives.

Bleh

Laughing member
Country flag
A Sidewinder with IR guidance cost almost 450k, a Stinger in current configuration with inferior IR guidance costs almost 100k and a Hellfire costs 70k with radar guidance...no mate, I'm not joking.

Now you tell what you find so funny?

It has been tried with ADTAS (Air Defense Anti Tank System) dual-purpose missile system. Was originally meant to take our slow/low flying targets, so not replacement for proper QRSAMs.

It'd be sweet, but didn't work out.

With modern EFP warheads & proximity fuse it may be doable though to take out both types of targets. Here you got a point....

Lonewarrior

Country flag

It has been tried with ADTAS (Air Defense Anti Tank System) dual-purpose missile system. Was originally meant to take our slow/low flying targets, so not replacement for proper QRSAMs.

It'd be sweet, but didn't work out.

With modern EFP warheads & proximity fuse it may be doable though to take out both types of targets. Here you got a point....
Yes Sir, I know. See
ADATS, one of the most effective SHORAD used a shaped charge
And as long as its failure is concerned, it was more of a political and "why expend money when no cold war" failure; not a technical one.

Kuldeepm952

Country flag
So stumbled on these from another forum
1D8CF42C-60E7-4891-8906-453043094ADD.jpeg
CBEE06A8-8095-4C63-9344-F2D83D544162.jpeg

So, the vshorads seeker is a cooled one, so no need of external coolant units, cylindrical like things on stinger and igla/verba, will probably enable greater engagement range like upwards of 8km if the rocket envelope allows for, better counter counter-measures. Apparently the only type of this in its class. Now only if they can make a reasonable lightweight tripod launcher for it like mistral one it will be great. Hope it's not heavy. Anyway, a shoulder launched variant mpdms is also already under development.

IMG_20230108_094945.jpg

Don't know from where this pic is but goddamn 95 birds in 13 categories of LMs, most likely that means 13 types of LM designs but still. That's a lot of damage. And TBRL is developing it which is kind of a surprise to me though, but maybe not since LMs are typically not categorised as UAVs of any sort not even mini, rather they are categorised as munitions, consider UAV as a rocket launcher and LM as a rocket ammo. Just like disposable rocket launchers are counted as ammo while reusable rocket launcher is counted as a weapon system.

If anyone can link the original source of these images that would be great.

Last edited:

SwordOfDarkness

Country flag
And TBRL is developing it which is kind of a surprise to me though, but maybe not since LMs are typically not categorised as UAVs of any sort not even mini, rather they are categorised as munitions, consider UAV as a rocket launcher and LM as a rocket ammo. Just like disposable rocket launchers are counted as ammo while reusable rocket launcher is counted as a weapon system.
Quite common, actually. Just like Nirbhay missile is being developed by ADE, since after launch its considered a UAV more than a true missile.

AnantS

Country flag
Anyone; tell me something very interesting about DRDO's new VSHORAD missile.

Something so interesting and unique that it may be the very first time something like this has happened.

Lemme see how keen of a Defence Anal-yst you're...
cooled seeker ?

not so dravidian

Country flag
Anyone; tell me something very interesting about DRDO's new VSHORAD missile.

Something so interesting and unique that it may be the very first time something like this has happened.

Lemme see how keen of a Defence Anal-yst you're...

u mean the so called mini rcs or is there a datalink?