DRDO, PSU and Private Defence Sector News

NoobWannaLearn

Country flag
...pic of some other product
...mentioning cruise speed in m/s
...feeling the need to explicitly mention that the camera is high quality and also HD
...thinking that "images and live video streaming" is a capability that should be mentioned
...calling "without ground communication" anti-radar navigation

Why it feels like 90% of Indian defence start-ups?
They are riding the partnership with Lockheed Martin wave hard since defexpo

abingdonboy

Country flag
Nothing they offer will compete with the Apache in terms of sensor suite, weapons package and overall capability. Once IAF tastes the good stuff, they won't compromise, they'd rather order 10 Apaches instead of 30 of whatever Denel or Mil is offering.
what does this have to do with india? Apaches and LCH are the sole future for attack helos in india for at least the next 20 years

abingdonboy

Country flag
A400m and if the Japanese offer, C2
~30 A400 with another 30 C295 would be preferable over 80 MTA of whatever class they end up looking at

Airbus would likely be willing to assemble at least 20 of the A400 in india too

this is another road to nowhere imo, I can’t think of a single RFI issued in the last 7 years under NDA that’s got even to contract negotiations. Everything ends in limbo or a part off the shelf ‘emergency’ procurement. Even if we believe this will go somewhere any deliveries are well into the 2040s now

Arihant Roy

Country flag
First MRSAM regiment of IA is being raised in Eastern command.

Screenshot_20230223-190941~2.png

Army has ordered 5 regiments of MRSAM which include 40 firing units. So each regiment will have 8 missile launch vehicles .

IAF had ordered 9 squadrons . Each squadron has 2 firing unit (nomenclature not same as IA) with 3 launchers each for a total of 54 missile launch fo vehicles.

Note the Eastern command statement ," MRSAM provides air defense against aerial threats to include fighter aircrafts, uavs, subsonic and supersonic missiles ."

Here supersonic missiles refers to TBM and SRBM. Barak-8 has a dual functionality of point defense ABM. As such it can shoot down Chinese PLA Rocket force DF-11 (max 600 km range ), DF-15( max 700 range ) and DF-16 ( max 1000 km range ) class of ballistic missiles and everything up till this range .

UAE Barak-8 units have already shot down two ballistic missiles fired by Houthis.

And IAF LRSAM/ IN LRSAM / IA MRSAM all have a range of 90+ kms.

abingdonboy

Country flag
First MRSAM regiment of IA is being raised in Eastern command.

View attachment 194774

Army has ordered 5 regiments of MRSAM which include 40 firing units. So each regiment will have 8 missile launch vehicles .

IAF had ordered 9 squadrons . Each squadron has 2 firing unit (nomenclature not same as IA) with 3 launchers each for a total of 54 missile launch fo vehicles.

Note the Eastern command statement ," MRSAM provides air defense against aerial threats to include fighter aircrafts, uavs, subsonic and supersonic missiles ."

Here supersonic missiles refers to TBM and SRBM. Barak-8 has a dual functionality of point defense ABM. As such it can shoot down Chinese PLA Rocket force DF-11 (max 600 km range ), DF-15( max 700 range ) and DF-16 ( max 1000 km range ) class of ballistic missiles and everything up till this range .

UAE Barak-8 units have already shot down two ballistic missiles fired by Houthis.

And IAF LRSAM/ IN LRSAM / IA MRSAM all have a range of 90+ kms.
What’s the DRDO equivalent to the IAI 2084? Surprised they haven’t indigenised that as of yet

MRSAM’s functionality makes the AKASH-NG pretty obsolete if its range is only 30KM,as noted MRSAM can fulfil the same point defence and strategic roles. Sure the MRSAM will likely cost more but for the extra capability it brings at the top end I’m not sure how the AKASH-NG can be justified when MRSAM and QRSAM exist. Really odd development the AKASH-NG turned out to be, if it was >50KM it would have a use as a low cost strategic AD system to fill the gaps of MRSAM and S400 but at 30km it’s pretty limited to a tactical point defence system for HVT

Lonewarrior

Country flag
Many people were puzzled when Longbow Hellfire was used as a SAM from the IM-SHORAD platform.

No one was puzzled here Mate...people were simply butt hurt by the fact that how can US use an ATGM designed for armour to engage an UAV. And as a red herring to their technological illiteracy they were asking questions like how can they use tandem warhead, it has no proximity fuze, high altitude and what not

I wonder what'll happen to their happy bubble when someone tells them that US has successfully engaged a cruise missile with a freaking howitzer.

arnabmit

Homo Communis Indus
Country flag
SystemAkash-NGQRSAM
UsersIndian Air ForceIndian Army
RadarX-band MFRX-band BMFR, C-band BSR
Range3km to 30km*3km to 30km
Altitude14km6-10km*
Components1 Weapon System contains 6 Firing Units with each FU having 4 Missile Launch Vehicles. Each MLV contains 6 ready to fire missiles.1 Weapon System contains 3 Batteries with each battery having 4 Combat Groups with each CG having 1 Missile Launch Vehicle. One MLV contains 6 ready to fire missiles.
Total Missiles per System
144​
72​
With a 120km acquisition radar and 80km FCR, plus dual pulse motor, Akash-NG can't be a 30km interceptor. Brochure/flex is probably mentioning that it has met the requirement of 30km

ezsasa

Designated Cynic
Country flag
~30 A400 with another 30 C295 would be preferable over 80 MTA of whatever class they end up looking at

this is another road to nowhere imo, I can’t think of a single RFI issued in the last 7 years under NDA that’s got even to contract negotiations. Everything ends in limbo or a part off the shelf ‘emergency’ procurement. Even if we believe this will go somewhere any deliveries are well into the 2040s now
that's because major weapons systems procurement cycle itself lasts more than a decade, tata's were involved in c-295 procurement for 11 years.

few examples of RFI procurement that have happened recently:

-Anti Submarine Shallow Water craft
-MBPV
-LSV

abingdonboy

Country flag
that's because major weapons systems procurement cycle itself lasts more than a decade, tata's were involved in c-295 procurement for 11 years.

few examples of RFI procurement that have happened recently:

-Anti Submarine Shallow Water craft
-MBPV
-LSV
I also feel that under NDA fewer RFIs are translating into RFPs and remain stuck at RFI indefinitely until they are scrapped or superseded (most of the time by an interim emergency deal)

an RFI issue now is almost irrelevant as there’s rarely ever any follow up or progression

Anandhu Krishna

Or some more C-130J and C295. IAF is probably looking at light transport with the C295 Medium with the MTA and heavy with the C17. But C130 is (somewhat) in the same category as the MTA. Also LM setting-up a maintenance facility for C-130 in India. Only one outside North America.
In a perfect world I would go for C2 and a JV for a C17 equivalent development. It's a natural growth for kawasaki and we will get something to replace the il76 and later C17. This could also work with C390 but Embraer might not have the financial capability for a JV.

With the current scenario I'm partial to C390.

abingdonboy

Country flag
Or some more C-130J and C295. IAF is probably looking at light transport with the C295 Medium with the MTA and heavy with the C17. But C130 is (somewhat) in the same category as the MTA. Also LM setting-up a maintenance facility for C-130 in India. Only one outside North America.
In a perfect world I would go for C2 and a JV for a C17 equivalent development. It's a natural growth for kawasaki and we will get something to replace the il76 and later C17. This could also work with C390 but Embraer might not have the financial capability for a JV.

With the current scenario I'm partial to C390.
lots of ifs and buts there.

the A400M is the most suitable place interim solution between the C130 and the C17

the entire point of the MTA is to offer support to the C17/IL76 fleet in out of area transport and strategic uplift, that is the A400M’s main design brief.

anyway I won’t invest much energy in the MTA saga, it’ll likely outlive most of us

A25AED19-4D7D-4384-BCB6-E22D76A7D522.jpeg

abingdonboy

Country flag

Looks damn beautiful can't wait when this is reality
I’m very very excited to see IMRH become a reality, it’ll be a game changer for the IA and IN and is desperately needed but another case of MIA, still has no CCS sanction, from sanction it’s 10 years from being production ready so 12-14 years from CCS for the first units, 20+ years for decent numbers in the 3 services. For DBMRH (navy version) add 3-4 years onto the above timelines

I remember HAL’s chief test pilot saying a few years ago he’d be flying the IMRH prototype at aero India 2023. And yet here we are