DRDO, PSU and Private Defence Sector News

Johny_Baba

अज्ञानी
Country flag
Well they just can't outright shutdown the small arms program? You still have to come up with better iterations to keep that line of products going to build up on previous projects like INSAS. Waste of money? Maybe but the thing is Indian private industry is still not good enough in designing and manufacturing field of small arms and the best worst part being IA itself is not very keen to even support them to create a good base.

A sane logical army would support even a new startup to come up with its prototype, fund it, ensure initial batch with guarantees for scaling up production and quality control. This will take time but still kuch better than waiting a frickin decade for new guns.

Let me share with you a gem which came out of this new small arms program that IA demanded, remember 3 calibres and then MCIWS came out. One of the super duper requirement was Air burst UBGL. Well drdo developed it, successfully tested the ABG airburst induction setting type fuze and the programmer for it, all able to be fitted on present UBGLs, can be modified for other UBGLs too. Guess what, it has been more than a decade of that reqmt and still We don't see anykind of order for that. A tech savy Army would have atleast required a offshoot of that airburst fuze to be integrated with AGS 17/30s for good effect on targets. There was a video of ARDE in which it was shown successfully demonstrated.

All western armies are now adopting airburst grenades for their AGLs more and more. I am quite sure IA will come up 5-10 yrs later with big fat RFI for make in India of these same systems, what a freakin clown show that would be?

Sometimes I think GOI should just create a department whose only goal is to find these self sabotaging efforts and make all these people who come up with these clown shows pay dearly. When you know that your decisions are made accountable and you will be held accountable for it, then perhaps they will be more serious.

But we guys are really something else, from 7.62nato to 5.56nato to a desire of swappable barrels coz some western guys tried to do that and then to combo of all 7.62nato rifles and lmg, 5.56nato carbines and 7.62Rus Aks. Are we really sane or this indian timeline goes crazy and crazy?😓
I agree but there are more important things to be developed in small arms than these "assault rifle" things at this stage,
they recently floated 9mm pistol tender, have these people ever tried to make a proper thoroughly modernised version of Browning Hi-Power let aside Glock-styled polymer framed striker fired pistols etc?
what about 7.62 NATO DMR that IA once wanted to get to replace SVD and so, then they should be developing our own version of chinese LG5 automatic portable grenade launcher style weapon (yeah yeah we have AGS-30 but it's somewhat bulky and not as portable and doesn't seem to have digital optical sight and things that that "sniper grenade launcher" have) and what not...

this constant 'reinventing the wheel' moments just doesn't make sense to me

samsaptaka

तस्मात् उत्तिष्ठ कौन्तेय युद्धाय कृतनिष्चय
Country flag
Like clockwork ! The moment an indigenous alternative is proven and ready the West will come up with this tot scam and corrupt gernails, dalals , media shills and chandigarh lobby will go onto overdrive boosting the western maal and totally blasting Bharatiya stuff....then IA will reduce orders for local products and push for mk2 meanwhile importing foreign maal under emergency clause. This is so clear as daylight that I can only conclude Namo govt and Kadi ninda are also complicit in this scandal that they allow this procurement farce to continue

Lonewarrior

Country flag

What could be the logic.
Chillar batorne ki aadat hai kya planners ko.
Good question

First lemme answer the obvious; why 13908?
Because the are planning to issue three magazines per 4636 handguns; one in gun and two spares. [4636 x 3 = 13908]

Now coming to 4636.
It solely depends on whom they are planning to issue. Is it one pistol per fire team or six pistol per company or any other composition.

flanker99

Country flag
Nothing, no press briefing, not even a squeak. So not sure whether what was taken was so trivial, hence not warrants an explanation or it was so critical they do know what to say.
It was buried not reported by a single msm so could be something critical

Kuldeepm952

Country flag
I agree but there are more important things to be developed in small arms than these "assault rifle" things at this stage,
they recently floated 9mm pistol tender, have these people ever tried to make a proper thoroughly modernised version of Browning Hi-Power let aside Glock-styled polymer framed striker fired pistols etc?
what about 7.62 NATO DMR that IA once wanted to get to replace SVD and so, then they should be developing our own version of chinese LG5 automatic portable grenade launcher style weapon (yeah yeah we have AGS-30 but it's somewhat bulky and not as portable and doesn't seem to have digital optical sight and things that that "sniper grenade launcher" have) and what not...

this constant 'reinventing the wheel' moments just doesn't make sense to me
Agree but then you have to have some other company/institute/organisation doing that if not the ARDE. Lack of other proper alternative to rely on is problematic.

The way I see it is that if you don't keep your indigenous industry/orgs up and doin lg something, sooner or later they will die and you come back again full circle depending on videshi maal.
Just look at french and British small arms industry, a shadow of their former self, it's such a shame that their present rifles, lmgs, gpmgs, dmrs, you name it is mostly of foreign origin. Only perhaps sniper rifles are the only things which they still own of their own origin.
For countries such as us and above, not having self designed small arms is really a matter of shame and shows how much the whole system has been taken for a ride and not supported. Any kind of support to new starting companies can mitigate this but then they all want PrOVen system in Mars trial pre tested and unable to grow a system themselves.

Kuldeepm952

Country flag
Hoping for large orders.... meanwhile Import Army - "that's right, keep hoping and coping .. here's some copium btw .."
What would happen if promotions are tied to induction of indigenous weapons and platforms, just a thought?

vishnugupt

Country flag
2 different paths of trials for almost same missile

Indian Navy:- VL- SRSAM first fired in 2019 (2021 if I'm wrong ) and inducted in Navy after 4th trial in 2022. Navy was involved in program from each and every aspect.
Zero negative media reporting regarding missile

Indian Army:- QR-SAM was first tested in 2017 and still in trials. All trials were going well until 2022 when during last test, missile was found short in all area including range, target acquisition, mobility, accuracy, engagement.
Now missile sent to drawing board again.
Indian Army came into picture only at last step.
Full of negative media reporting.
UN Generals can't buy imported mall due to to Pandemic and Ukraine -Russia war.!!!

In short, UN Generals can't even beg door to door for our own security during emergency. Imagine how dependent we have become?

Still UN Generals cry for shiny toys day in and day out like cry baby.

Sometimes, I even wonder whether our UN Generals possess pair of eyes or not?. Forget about being visionary, strategic thinker, military planner these qualities are simply impossible for them.

I think blindness is prime requirement to be a UN General.

Latest Replies

Global Defence

New threads

Articles