DRDO, PSU and Private Defence Sector News

Corvus Splendens

Country flag
We had designed Arihant in such a way that it can be expanded into s4 and s4*
It was more of an oh shit we gonna need a bigger boat moment for the Navy.

Now adding new modules will affect its maritime performance including issues in structure noise power and mobility
So basically a entirely new design has to be made and in short the interior designing and structure has to be renovated
What I am essentially suggesting; it'll take a moderate redesign, but it'll be worth it. Damn better than going through another 10 year RFI/ToT circus.

jai jaganath

Tihar Jail
Banned
Country flag

What I am essentially suggesting; it'll take a moderate redesign, but it'll be worth it. Damn better than going through another 10 year RFI/ToT circus.
In 1st part
No buddy it was designed in way for extension as it was our design and we knew how we can increase its capability
It wasn't a hurry decision
Yes funding and detailing would have been latter but intentions were clear earlier

flanker99

Country flag

I dont think such redesigns will be needed kalvari with newer systems and aip will be it ...drdo is already developing missiles keeping torpedo tube in mind so a vls will be unnecessary

Corvus Splendens

Country flag
In 1st part
No buddy it was designed in way for extension as it was our design and we knew how we can increase its capability
It wasn't a hurry decision
The decision to increase the size of the boat came after a ministry level enquiry in 2007 that questioned the justification of funding for a sub with only 4 silos. It wasn't designed for expansion at the start, but rather tweaked later.

Corvus Splendens

Country flag
I dont think such redesigns will be needed kalvari with newer systems and aip will be it ...drdo is already developing missiles keeping torpedo tube in mind so a vls will be unnecessary
Just extra capability. It's all wishful thinking, who knows what the Navy has in mind.

jai jaganath

Tihar Jail
Banned
Country flag
The decision to increase the size of the boat came after a ministry level enquiry in 2007 that questioned the justification of funding for a sub with only 4 silos. It wasn't designed for expansion at the start, but rather tweaked later.
Yeah I know about it
But the point is the builders and designers earlier planned it as even they knew the purpose of baby nuke subs
The committee and decision were all taken later I agree but design was kept damn modular in order to utilize its purpose
Arihant and arighat are just like tejas mk1 and the next ones are mk2
Concept was there very long ago

Fatalis

Country flag
C'mon order 6+6 follow on Scorpenes with extended dimensions and Cruise Missile tubes. Gonna be a potent package with the AIP installed.
I don't understand why people are so fixated on the VLS module for SSK which is having very less tonnage. When we are already developing a SLCM for the role of striking then why we want to have VLS on every submarine.

I can think of only one SSK class which is having VLS i.e. is KSS-III class which is having the module for launching the ballistic missiles. Israeli's Dolphin class is only rumored to have them and it is not confirmed yet.

Global Defence

New threads

Articles