DRDO, PSU and Private Defence Sector News

Javelin_Sam

Country flag
This 2023 timeline was never going to happen for a first attempt human spaceflight mission. Basic commonsense. This 2023 timeline was thrust onto ISRO to have it with 75 years of independence or a landmark event before 2024 elections or whatever. If something goes wrong, then entire blame will be on ISRO. Good that ISRO is not doing it in a hurry burry manner. Check, re-check and double check. Better late than sorry

Vamsi

Country flag
Chinese approved Project 921 aka Shenzhou in 1992 , they got so much ToT from Russians that their Shenzhou is actually an upscaled version of Soyuz, still they launched their manned mission only in 2003 i.e 11 years after approval & you expect ISRO to launch Gaganyaan(a fully indigenous design unlike the Chinese) in 2022, just after 4 years after approval??

Chinmoy

Country flag
@Chinmoy
you changed goal post yet again, I have seen this type of your kabbaddi many times with many members.

I was talking about weight requirement, here every one is talking about weight requirements, never knew ATAGS have now to use it's own engine to move at a speed of BMP-2, mind you there are pictures of BMP-2 passing Dongkla pass in sikkim at 18,000 ft and it weighs full 20 tons.

So, I can say weight issue is clearly out of the loop now.

There is some inherent problem with you.

At the height which you are thinking of for a TOWING GUN to perform and which your import army desires, I can tell you only SHARANG of 52 caliber avatar can fit the bill, but hey it's not sexy.

Your Athos is not going to bring anything new also it has yet to be tested if I am not wrong at the heights and conditions of himalayas.

It's another story by that time miraculously every CRACKS, Bursting, Non-performance of hydraulics type of news will be thrown under the rug.

Fekte tumlog ho, goalpost mat change karo.

Weight wise, you have to now admit that ATAGS has no issue.

Power ki baat yahan nahi hui thi and ATAGs does not have to move kms on it's own and if I am not wrong in these 5 years of trials it should have proven that too otherwise Import lobby would had sure published the news.
Now I have came across many such nonsense comments here too. Yesterday itself I mentioned someone like you who was saying that since we are deploying T-90 in Ladakh, what is the use of Light tank. Nonsense like this is genetic to some people who sees things just in perspective of adventure instead of practical daily basis usage.

We had already deployed F77H at 10000 feet. So people like you come up with comments like what was the use of M777 then? But have you even considered what happens with the life cycle of a vehicle which would be towing a 11 ton gun at that altitude day in and day out? Its not like you take it up there and leave it at a place year around.

You think that since we are deploying T-90 at that altitude, it would work wonder. But have you ever wondered how much the engine had to bleed to move those 50 ton around at that altitude? Have you ever thought about the movement constraint it has to face with all those weight?

Have you ever seen how much a 6*6 Tatra or Kraz truck with more powerful engine bleed at those altitude where a 2.5 tonner TATA troop carrier move with ease?

Have you ever thought that why are we not deploying a transport fleet or fighter jets in our ALGs or upgraded those ALGs to host a fleet permanently?

But leave alone thse sane practical discussion. It may be too much for you to handle. I've never supported ATHOS over ATAGS. And I for record know that weight of ATAGS had been brought down and it nearly matches the criteria of RFI. But I'd for sure question our approach towards designing. Why can't we make a lighter gun, when Israel could make one?

Chinmoy

Country flag
Someone said Dhanush weighs 8 ton. It weighs 13 tons. It is a single axle artillery system. Compared to that ATAGS is a twin axle artillery system with Self-propelled capability with steerable axels for better turning radius which helps to move in bends in mountains.
View attachment 186783

It started user trials from 2020 and completed them in 2022. Here people claiming it is not compatible with army needs. This is ridiculous in every level. If army feels compatible issue, then why it started user trial with them. They can simply stat openly this system is not suitable. At least DRDO, KSSL and TSED will not have their slugfest with Army for 3 years.

This RFI is basically tuned in such a way there is a chance of ATAGS getting Bhimed. A private company cannot sit idle in production line like our Rifle factory in Amethi is sitting for 2 years. You cannot expect a private player to iterate 100 times before a commercial order given. Even with ATAGS both KSSL and TSED played with its configuration with respect to design. What about KSSL when it developed TC-20 and Garuda 105 which has some of the compact dimensions for an SPH/SPA compared to whatever abomination we saw with OFB. They have done their product development as much as possible with funding available. At one point you need to start production to do next work.

Most of the IA and IAF procurement policy about products of import and beg for spares when shit hits the storm.
What if I proove to you that the RFI is rather tailor made for ATAGS?

Chinmoy

Country flag

Let's hear expert opinion.
Audit guys take up R&D as similar to manufacturing. For them both are same. If you go on and tell them that you can't bind R&D in time and budget frame, they would laugh at your face. The biggest mistake our government has kept on doing was to include DRDO under CAG.
That's why I keep on saying that unless and until our private companies takes up R&D seriously instead of forming JV and manufacturing under license, we can't expect a robust MIC in India. But people think that our private industries are doing great making copies of one thing or other.

factfigures

Country flag
Defence Acquisition Council approves Acceptance of Necessity for 24 Capital Acquisition Proposals, worth Rs 84,328 crore, for the Armed Forces & Indian Coast Guard

21 of them, worth Rs 82,127 crore, approved for procurement from indigenous sources

Proposals include Futuristic Infantry Combat Vehicles, Light Tanks, Naval Anti-Ship Missiles, Multi-Purpose Vessels, new range of missile system, Long Range Guided Bombs & Next Generation Offshore Patrol Vessels.

Do we have the details of these 24 items?

Kuldeepm952

Country flag
View attachment 186798

Raflanker on Twitter pointed out that this might be the guidance radar for VL-SRSAM.

If that is the case then what we are seeing here might be the new X-band radar explicitly developed for VL-SRSAM.

I can see 2-3 fixed faces mounted on a mast.
Likely a spinoff form QRSAM programme, even akash ng has 4 wall panel radars.

Kuldeepm952

Country flag

A very interesting find
Although it's Shukla ji report but interestingly a 50km range artillery gun was asked to drdo in the 2010 itself 🤯🤯 none other than by the Army ji. I am literally mind blown by the fact that none of the guns even in foreign armies had that kind of capability with it, and a 25l chambered artillery gun was almost non existent albeit G6 which was a Self propelled howitzer but that too was in service with standard 23l chamber and 25l chamber one was kind of experimental.

And now that even Rheinmetall has shown that using a 25l gun with VLAP like round, ranges in excess of 70km can be achieved, this was with Z-6 charge, ATAGS is capable of firing Z-7 charge. Pair the rounds with PGK/CCF which are also in development under TDF and that will give a hell lot of overmatch to our side.

ATAGS with all its capability is one hell of a howitzer.

Articles