DRDO, PSU and Private Defence Sector News

STORE

1st look at indigenously developed state-of-the-art system of systems L&T Sudarshan CIWS designed to protect critical assets

I think 1 barrel gun is not good enough for CIWS in case of multiple targets even though it's 40mm. Why cant we develope something like CRAM? If am right, we already localy produce AK-630 and we can improve it by converting it from 30 to 40mm.

Fatalis

Country flag
I think 1 barrel gun is not good enough for CIWS in case of multiple targets even though it's 40mm. Why cant we develope something like CRAM? If am right, we already localy produce AK-630 and we can improve it by converting it from 30 to 40mm.
I think single barrel gun is enough for AA role because it is a part of system which will contain around 3-4 guns. Each gun will have smart ammunition feded to it which in turn will use that smart ammunition based on the threat present. They will cover a wider area be it an air field or army base.

I feel it will be very difficult to feed smart ammunition to a gun like AK-630 based on the threat present because it's rate of fire is very high.

But when talking about C-RAM role, here you need to make a wall of ammunitions which will stop any artillery shell or rockets fired towards the base so multiple barrel here makes more sense in comparison to single barrel gun.

STORE

I think single barrel gun is enough for AA role because it is a part of system which will contain around 3-4 guns. Each gun will have smart ammunition feded to it which in turn will use that smart ammunition based on the threat present. They will cover a wider area be it an air field or army base.

I feel it will be very difficult to feed smart ammunition to a gun like AK-630 based on the threat present because it's rate of fire is very high.

But when talking about C-RAM role, here you need to make a wall of ammunitions which will stop any artillery shell or rockets fired towards the base so multiple barrel here makes more sense in comparison to single barrel gun.
Can u tell me what these smart ammunitions are?

Fatalis

Country flag
Can u tell me what these smart ammunitions are?
The gun should be able to fire smart / advance ammunition {similar to PreFragmented Programmable Proximity Fuze (3P) / Advanced Hit Efficiency and Destruction (AHEAD) class of ammunition) in addition to standard ammunition.

This is what mentioned in the RFP.

STORE

The gun should be able to fire smart / advance ammunition {similar to PreFragmented Programmable Proximity Fuze (3P) / Advanced Hit Efficiency and Destruction (AHEAD) class of ammunition) in addition to standard ammunition.

This is what mentioned in the RFP.
Do we manufacture these ammunitions?

Kuldeepm952

Country flag
Most probably IAF will be getting the Bofors version of either l&t or Kalyani. They are basically l70 guns mated with modern sensors.
I don't think any type of gunbased C-RAM is effective compared to systems like iron dome or iron beam.
So, mark my words that we will be getting this

Unless IAF in some way give preference to that rheinmetall gun jv with PSU, which I hope it does not, that would be a whole screwdrivergiri instead of less screwdrivergiri on the either 40mm gun by private cos and theres a chance of learning from it and making next things their own.

Latest Replies

Global Defence

New threads

Articles