DRDO, PSU and Private Defence Sector News

mokoman

Country flag
Anyone having an idea about what's gonna happen to drdo l&t light tank to be unveiled next year?
I guess they must have asked army for Wars to develop it. So should not be problem and must be weighing near 25 tons and amphibious.
Or is it another turn around on IA part where they first allowed the drdo to make a light tank and then turn around changing QRs.
Also does any traditional tank design even made to float on water??
Basically the difference between belowView attachment 169966View attachment 169967

Wouldn't making a light tank amphibious make the armour pretty much non compliant to RFI, mounting of ERA at front would be nearly non feasible to save amphibious character, the design itself will make base armour weak design wise.
Anybody betting on 500mm RHA frontal armour reqmt🤞

In all sense, India light tank is doomed to be inferior when facing against chinese type15. Personally I don't think amphibious is really required for ladakh front and to me it seems like jack of all trades but master of none kind of situation. Or maybe IA is just betting big on loitering munitions, mini drones and aps. Well as long as it survives 40mm apfsds rounds, it should be able to atleast shrug off anything other than RPGs, atgms and tank cannons.
didnt they say it was supposed to cross pangong tso - :hmm: or did i imagine that .

Kuldeepm952

Country flag
didnt they say it was supposed to cross pangong tso - :hmm: or did i imagine that .
In short, Bhai pangons tso ke bahar bhi China border h and that is much more than a single lake.

Basically the idea thrown out was since china has light tanks, IA suddenly rose from decades long slumber and suddenly remembered it's longing for light tank. And yeah, I dare you to design a amphibious light tank with 500mm rha protection frontally as required by IA or was it more. Go ahead show me it can be done.
And don't even start on sprut sd, a 12.7mm hmg will penetrate it all day, guess what, china employs hmg in quite a lot of number inside its brigades, and I didn't see any sprut sd in Ukraine.

Agar amphibious hi chahiye toh chupchap se bmp2 pe cockerill turret bhi lga sakte the, possibly 2 saal m delivery bhi ho jaati. But maybe here is another Arjun saga in making.
IA basically wants type15 in 25tons and amphibious.

mokoman

Country flag
In short, Bhai pangons tso ke bahar bhi China border h and that is much more than a single lake.

Basically the idea thrown out was since china has light tanks, IA suddenly rose from decades long slumber and suddenly remembered it's longing for light tank. And yeah, I dare you to design a amphibious light tank with 500mm rha protection frontally as required by IA or was it more. Go ahead show me it can be done.
And don't even start on sprut sd, a 12.7mm hmg will penetrate it all day, guess what, china employs hmg in quite a lot of number inside its brigades, and I didn't see any sprut sd in Ukraine.

Agar amphibious hi chahiye toh chupchap se bmp2 pe cockerill turret bhi lga sakte the, possibly 2 saal m delivery bhi ho jaati. But maybe here is another Arjun saga in making.
IA basically wants type15 in 25tons and amphibious.
is the spec sheet available ? reading just the news doesnt seem like 'amphibious' is a requirement , its listed as desirable. cant find 500mm rha either.

:dude: type 15 was shown in 2018 but army had to physically see one at LAC inorder to react . i wonder what other surprise army will get in future.

Kuldeepm952

Country flag
is the spec sheet available ? reading just the news doesnt seem like 'amphibious' is a requirement , its listed as desirable. cant find 500mm rha either.

:dude: type 15 was shown in 2018 but army had to physically see one at LAC inorder to react . i wonder what other surprise army will get in future.
Go to indian army site and search their archives section of rfi

Okabe Rintarou

Country flag
what is in that deleted tweet
Some claim that HLFT-24 is an all-metal Tejas with only Indian components (except engine) and no FBW. Will be pitched as a low cost alternative to the likes of Jf-17, etc. For export. That was written in the tweet last night. Also claimed that it will be able to mimic flight characteristics of other jets enabling training.

AnantS

Country flag
Not an Aero guy, but still have doubts.
Seriously would not that be a serious redesign? I mean Tejas design is inherently unstable , is designed with specific CoG, weight distribution. Changing Materials will seriously affect all. How are you going to fly an inherently unstable aircraft design without FBW?

There are hardly many major components which we import from outside. Things like inflight refuelling can be deleted. Cobham's radome can be replaced by what was earlier used in Tejas, Israeli radar can be replaced by Uttam. But Engine, Ejection Seat, MFD's, gun, hmds etc will need to be imported and assembled here

Last edited:

Okabe Rintarou

Country flag
Not an Aero guy, but still have doubts.
Seriously would not that be a serious redesign? I mean Tejas design is inherently unstable , is designed with specific CoG, weight distribution. Changing Materials will seriously affect all. How are you going to fly an inherently unstable aircraft design without FBW?

There are hardly major components which we import from outside. Things like inflight refuelling can be deleted. Cobham's radome can be replaced by what was earlier used in Tejas, Israeli radar can be replaced by Uttam. But Engine, Ejection Seat, MFD's, gun will need to be imported and assembled here
Exactly my point. Which is probably why the dude deleted his tweet.

Dark Sorrow

Respected Member
Some claim that HLFT-24 is an all-metal Tejas with only Indian components (except engine) and no FBW. Will be pitched as a low cost alternative to the likes of Jf-17, etc. For export. That was written in the tweet last night. Also claimed that it will be able to mimic flight characteristics of other jets enabling training.
How will removing FBW reduce cost of aircraft?
We still need sensors and actuators fro control surfaces.
The flight control surfaces are controlled by hybrid electro-hydraulic actuators and motors. These will be still needed along with cabling and power source.
Their is no mechanical redundancy so how will one control these actuators and motors if FBW removed. Even in case the FBW removed one has to pay for all the hardware.

It is making no sense removing best features lof Tejas like auto low-speed recovery, disorientation recovery function, autopilot, take-off & landing assist, return home feature and in future automated take-off & landing.

Okabe Rintarou

Country flag
How will removing FBW reduce cost of aircraft?
We still need sensors and actuators fro control surfaces.
The flight control surfaces are controlled by hybrid electro-hydraulic actuators and motors. These will be still needed along with cabling and power source.
Their is no mechanical redundancy so how will one control these actuators and motors if FBW removed. Even if FBW removed one has to pay for all the hardware.

It is making no sense removing best features lof Tejas like auto low-speed recovery, disorientation recovery function, autopilot, take-off & landing assist, return home feature and in future automated take-off & landing.
Don't shoot the messenger, I am just repeating what was in that tweet. I myself was skeptical of the tweet which is why I wrote this:-

How will it simulate flight characteristic of other jets without having FBW. Also, isn't Tejas RSS? How will it even fly without FBW?

Articles