DRDO, PSU and Private Defence Sector News

Knowitall

mist_consecutive

Golgappe Expert
Country flag
Even we accept MRFA ,how does it help us against Han china which has its own military industrial complex. They will simply replace their loss.
What kind of fuck logic is this ? Just because they can replace their losses, we ought to stop buying weapons today necessary to deter China, instead, wait X period of time when our weapons will mature (a pipedream, really) and match up to China ?

Forget about attrition, that will come when we get to an equal war for a prolonged (6+ months), if we don't even have weapons to stop the initial period of Chinese invasion, we will just straight up loose.

Ukraine should have returned all those Javelins, NLAWS, Stingers, and HIMARS back to NATO because you know, Russia can always replace their losses and out-manufacture Ukraine.

Blademaster

he was correct

this is the best i could find
View attachment 169917
I guess that's why IN has a huge hard on for catapult carriers. After seeing the results with STOVL with MiG-29s they must have realized and came to the conclusion that anything less than a full catapult launched fighter with a full payload is just a waste of time and money and they don't want to bother with ordering two more IAC-1s. They would rather wait for the IAC-2 and endure any hardship that follows with ordering IAC-2 and waiting for it to be developed and produced.

IndianHawk

Country flag
I guess that's why IN has a huge hard on for catapult carriers. After seeing the results with STOVL with MiG-29s they must have realized and came to the conclusion that anything less than a full catapult launched fighter with a full payload is just a waste of time and money and they don't want to bother with ordering two more IAC-1s. They would rather wait for the IAC-2 and endure any hardship that follows with ordering IAC-2 and waiting for it to be developed and produced.
navy knew that all along. That was the reason french made Charles de gualle as a catobar carrier.

But catobar was skipped on vikrant due to complexity involved for first built carrier.

Now they probably feel more confident about getting there .

Blademaster

navy knew that all along. That was the reason french made Charles de gualle as a catobar carrier.

But catobar was skipped on vikrant due to complexity involved for first built carrier.

Now they probably feel more confident about getting there .
They had a catapult carrier before. They could have just copy that design and incorporated into IAC-1. But they didn’t because they thought they could get away with the cheaper option STOVL only to find out they can’t.

IndianHawk

Country flag
They had a catapult carrier before. They could have just copy that design and incorporated into IAC-1. But they didn’t because they thought they could get away with the cheaper option STOVL only to find out they can’t.
They also had sea Harriers with vertical lift.
After which they had no catobar ready jet in planning and buying mig29k form russia with vikramaditya sealed the deal for stobar for Vikrant. Only later they learnt mig29k issues and capped the numbers at 45.

fooLIam

What kind of fuck logic is this ? Just because they can replace their losses, we ought to stop buying weapons today necessary to deter China, instead, wait X period of time when our weapons will mature (a pipedream, really) and match up to China ?

Forget about attrition, that will come when we get to an equal war for a prolonged (6+ months), if we don't even have weapons to stop the initial period of Chinese invasion, we will just straight up loose.

Ukraine should have returned all those Javelins, NLAWS, Stingers, and HIMARS back to NATO because you know, Russia can always replace their losses and out-manufacture Ukraine.
My point was ,by repeatedly buying foreign maal we can not develop on our own until airforce is forced to accept home grown and psu are forced to deliver or private ecosystem is developed.There is still financial constraint in our type of system where government can’t keep giving money to forces. Because freebies are necessary to win the election.
Rest I agree whatever you said.

Kuldeepm952

Country flag
Anyone having an idea about what's gonna happen to drdo l&t light tank to be unveiled next year?
I guess they must have asked army for Wars to develop it. So should not be problem and must be weighing near 25 tons and amphibious.
Or is it another turn around on IA part where they first allowed the drdo to make a light tank and then turn around changing QRs.
Also does any traditional tank design even made to float on water??
Basically the difference between below
1662031198440.png
1662031266105.png

Wouldn't making a light tank amphibious make the armour pretty much non compliant to RFI, mounting of ERA at front would be nearly non feasible to save amphibious character, the design itself will make base armour weak design wise.
Anybody betting on 500mm RHA frontal armour reqmt🤞

In all sense, India light tank is doomed to be inferior when facing against chinese type15. Personally I don't think amphibious is really required for ladakh front and to me it seems like jack of all trades but master of none kind of situation. Or maybe IA is just betting big on loitering munitions, mini drones and aps. Well as long as it survives 40mm apfsds rounds, it should be able to atleast shrug off anything other than RPGs, atgms and tank cannons.

Last edited:

Marliii

Better to die on your feet than live on your knees
Country flag
Anyone having an idea about what's gonna happen to drdo l&t light tank to be unveiled next year?
I guess they must have asked army for Wars to develop it. So should not be problem and must be weighing near 25 tons and amphibious.
Or is it another turn around on IA part where they first allowed the drdo to make a light tank and then turn around changing QRs.
Basically the difference between belowView attachment 169966View attachment 169967

Wouldn't making a light tank amphibious make the armour pretty much non compliant to RFI, mounting of ERA at front would be nearly non feasible to save amphibious character, the design itself will make base armour weak design wise.

In all sense, India light tank is doomed to be inferior when facing against chinese type15. Personally I don't think amphibious is really required for ladakh front and to me it seems like jack of all trades but master of none kind of situation. Or maybe IA is just betting big on loitering munitions, mini drones and aps. Well as long as it survives 40mm apfsds rounds, it should be able to atleast shrug off anything other than RPGs, atgms and tank cannons.
The amphibious cause itself is a major head ache .these light tanks would be revolutionary for army when they came online but expecting it to wade through canals like a BMP 2 is a little to much

Kuldeepm952

Country flag
The amphibious cause itself is a major head ache .these light tanks would be revolutionary for army when they came online but expecting it to wade through canals like a BMP 2 is a little to much
Sometimes makes me wonder why IA has many times come up with over the head revolutionary QRs yet always go back to emergency import of lesser spec maal coz yeah, weight issues. Hmm, truly fatphobic. :rotfl:

Marliii

Better to die on your feet than live on your knees
Country flag
Sometimes makes me wonder why IA has many times come up with over the head revolutionary QRs yet always go back to emergency import of lesser spec maal coz yeah, weight issues. Hmm, truly fatphobic. :rotfl:
IA has its own ways they insist on rifled gun for arjun when they were busy buying Russian t series .IA should have known since 91 that the Russian type of autoloading will vaporise the crew if the tank is hit and will throw the turret into the sky.

omaebakabaka

Forget this crap and buy some Mahindra MPV-I instead. Better protection and capacity.

I do not know its tech specs but casual observation creates an impression that this is not very well designed with unrecessed wheel houses and windows also seem to be too exposed, probably not bad for rear movement in which case it may be needlessly heavy.

omaebakabaka

Hans can't replace airbases in factories or bombed out runways and every day of not having working airfield will cost both sides.....you can manufacture all you want just like the ghost cities. Vital infrastructure can be taken out considering India has terrain advantage giving it an edge somewhat in fuel and ammo carrying capacity. Once we get our Tejas line we get the numbers too with better engines and so on....

Okabe Rintarou

Country flag
I do not know its tech specs but casual observation creates an impression that this is not very well designed with unrecessed wheel houses and windows also seem to be too exposed, probably not bad for rear movement in which case it may be needlessly heavy.
Where would you create the recesses? Can't do it in the V-hull or it will compromise hull integrity in case of underbelly IED boom. This is standard for MPVs, look at the famous ones like Cassipr and Cougar.
The DRDO BRDM-2 derivative also has windows. So I don't get your point about them being too exposed.
Mahindra MPV-I can be used on frontlines also, as an Infantry Mobility Vehicle. IA is already using TATA QRFV for that role, which is also another MPV.
Hans can't replace airbases in factories or bombed out runways and every day of not having working airfield will cost both sides.....you can manufacture all you want just like the ghost cities. Vital infrastructure can be taken out considering India has terrain advantage giving it an edge somewhat in fuel and ammo carrying capacity. Once we get our Tejas line we get the numbers too with better engines and so on....
Bombed out runways can be brought back online within hours. These days after runway cratering, even runway repair denial by airdropping mines is done. And even that is not sufficient.

omaebakabaka

Where would you create the recesses? Can't do it in the V-hull or it will compromise hull integrity in case of underbelly IED boom. This is standard for MPVs, look at the famous ones like Cassipr and Cougar.
The DRDO BRDM-2 derivative also has windows. So I don't get your point about them being too exposed.
Mahindra MPV-I can be used on frontlines also, as an Infantry Mobility Vehicle. IA is already using TATA QRFV for that role, which is also another MPV.

Bombed out runways can be brought back online within hours. These days after runway cratering, even runway repair denial by airdropping mines is done. And even that is not sufficient.
I was thinking more of typhoon mrap or some of the kamaz ones that I have seen seems to be more protected but it really depends on the weight class and overall criteria....it was just a casual observation about the need to have that level of visibility for a MPV when there are already firing holes and possibly smaller windows and more recessed into the structure reducing the exposure.

As for runways, Israel constantly destructs the runways and more recently Aleppo airport causing significant damage that will take days to repair. Russia is doing half heartedly as they are going after taking out airforce rather than pure destruction and only they know why they are restraining. It is not true that they can be brought back in hours under war conditions and capable enemy. Any loss of air cover may change facts on the ground in that area.

omaebakabaka

TCL TROOP COMFORTS LIMITED TCL- ABHAY - Industrial Protective Footwear https://amzn.eu/d/8lPlaexView attachment 169863
Self declared mil grade or they actually certify to some aspects of milspec standards? Genuine leather means crappiest leather but reviews seems to be good unless doctored and the description is basic bones and run of the mill. Probably more on the likes of diver's watch or aviator goggles.

Last edited:

Aniruddha Mulay

Basically the difference between belowView attachment 169966View attachment 169967

The DRDO-L&T light tank is well on track as per the DRDO chief's statement on 31st July 2022, prototype rollout is scheduled for 2023

Articles