DRDO, PSU and Private Defence Sector News

Kuldeepm952

Country flag
Now, this leads to questions about what we know from past. There is a MPDMS project by DRDO whose diameter is 100mm guidnace is IR and then there is another MANPADS project also by DRDO of dia 90mm but with multiple missiles launcher like rbs 70 and mistral whose guidance is unknown. It is clear that both are different. Is MPDMS compact like igla and stinger?? Does MANPADS have laser beam guidance??

Does anyone has a clear picture here??

Okabe Rintarou

Country flag
Link- https://www.makeinindiadefence.gov.in/projects/projectlist/2/1

Now if you can see an IN project about No.17) Glide SSM. So, what exactly it is??

Also, see the dimensions of laser based manpads. No manpads on market fulfils that. And speed about mach 3, only starstreak does that but exceeds the dimension criteria by a lot, also doesn't have a proxy fuze, other manpads top at mach 2.5 at max. Project calls for a static launcher with atleast 2 missiles in ready to fire mode. Makes you wonder who makes these QRs.
DRDO CLGM can already act as a Laser Beam riding MANPADs. But it won't be Mach 3. DRDO MDPMS has IIR seeker. Wonder if Army just forms requirements to troll DRDO. Maybe they have already conveyed to DRDO that MPDMS should have a dual seeker with IIR and Laser.'

EDIT: WAIT! Credits to @porky_kicker for this. Look at this pic. He says it could be the seeker for MPDMS. In that case, that CCD sensor should be able to detect LASER backscatter, right?

Last edited:

Kuldeepm952

Country flag
DRDO CLGM can already act as a Laser Beam riding MANPADs. But it won't be Mach 3. DRDO MDPMS has IIR seeker. Wonder if Army just forms requirements to troll DRDO. Maybe they have already conveyed to DRDO that MPDMS should have a dual seeker with IIR and Laser.'

EDIT: WAIT! Credits to @porky_kicker for this. Look at this pic. He says it could be the seeker for MPDMS. In that case, that CCD sensor should be able to detect LASER backscatter, right?
If you read the pdf of laser based manpads,it does mention about the possibility of mixed guidance.( Unable to post pic from Android)

Kuldeepm952

Country flag
I have some questions. 1)Does DRDO products made by private industries count as Make-2 eligible or they have to do thier own R&D?? 2)Do they need to have IPR of the product?? 3)Does Make-2 will have private entities only?? 4)Or it's just that any product with sufficient indigenous content can come under Make-2.

Was just wondering if that it's the 4)th one then the clerance given for recently TGM for artillery will certainly be a local manufacture of Krasnapol M2.

Would love to see an indigenous product,but only if apples were oranges.

not so dravidian

Tihar Jail
Banned
Country flag
I have some questions. 1)Does DRDO products made by private industries count as Make-2 eligible or they have to do thier own R&D?? 2)Do they need to have IPR of the product?? 3)Does Make-2 will have private entities only?? 4)Or it's just that any product with sufficient indigenous content can come under Make-2.

Was just wondering if that it's the 4)th one then the clerance given for recently TGM for artillery will certainly be a local manufacture of Krasnapol M2.

Would love to see a indigenous product,but only if apples were oranges.
1634981308423.png

i guess make 2 cud also invlove foreign OEM

Krasnapol m2 is made by OFB

Kuldeepm952

Country flag
You sure about Krasnopol???

Carl Gustav ammunition HEAT 551, HEDP (seen in field with IA) although not mentioned in their online catalogue, we have seen thier pics made by ofb in several expo, same for cargo ammunition for artillery (If you search ofb Twitter pics of last 3 months, you'll see a pic in which there is mention of these munitions) but never seen with IA, no photo evidence. Now IA order these ammunitions or not, atleast there is no evidence either pictorial or verbal (from someone who has seen or used themselves).

Coming to KRASNOPOL, atleast no pictoral or official verbal mention that ofb manufacture these. Also never seen a KRASNOPOL in service with IA.

Last edited:

scatterStorm

Country flag

Theoretically, it should. CCD can be modified to look for backscatter illumination.

not so dravidian

Tihar Jail
Banned
Country flag
You sure about Krasnopol???

Carl Gustav ammunition HEAT 551, HEDP (seen in field with IA) although not mentioned in their online catalogue, we have seen thier pics made by ofb in several expo, same for cargo ammunition for artillery (If you search ofb Twitter pics of last 3 months, you'll see a pic in which there is mention of these munitions) but never seen with IA, no photo evidence. Now IA order these ammunitions or not, atleast there is no evidence either pictorial or verbal (from someone who has seen or used themselves).

Coming to KRASNOPOL, atleast no pictoral or official verbal mention that ofb manufacture these. Also never seen a KRASNOPOL in service with IA.
It's just as u said for Carl Gustav, however I had a pic where it shows the cardboard a bit, lost it since I changed phone very recently ( from keypad to touch). But 100% that we have been using kranspol m2

It was during Kargil war we had ordered around >1500 shell. The case was despite unable to function properly in high altitude areas it was bought. And eventually we started licencing it.

I'll try to find the article

not so dravidian

Tihar Jail
Banned
Country flag
Kransopol is licensed produced ?
Why buy Excalibur then
Bhai by licencing, I believe only warhead section. Ruskies wouldn't have given TOT for sensors

1. Excalibur is is GPS and INS guided, whereas Kranspol is laser guided. It isn't compatible with fh 77 i.e, Bofors

A single Excalibur shell seems to cost >$100k and Kranspol around $35k. Me believe both are screwing us

2. From my assessment, we still haven't had a breakthrough in sensor-fused weapons (PGMs).
It's after these many years we r testing precision guided ammunition and will take a year or so for operationalising it

1634988506514.png

DRDO has initiated work on add on guidance kits for regular shells, which are cheap

So logically, the next step should be complete system like Excalibur

Last edited:

Maharaj skandgupta

चक्रवर्ती
Country flag
Bhai by licencing, I believe only warhead section. Ruskies wouldn't have given TOT for sensors

1. Excalibur is is GPS and INS guided, whereas Kranspol is laser guided. It isn't compatible with fh 77 i.e, Bofors

A single Excalibur shell seems to cost >$100k and Kranspol around $35k. Me believe both are screwing us

2. From my assessment, we still haven't had a breakthrough in sensor-fused weapons (PGMs).
It's after these many years we r testing precision guided ammunition and will take a year or so for operationalising it

View attachment 115895

DRDO has initiated work on add on guidance kits for regular shells, which are cheap

Atleast we can make these now .
Anyway no of Bofors is less than 200 in my opinion .
An arty regiment has 3 batteries in 1 battery it's 6 artillery guns.
So 1 regiment has 18 guns.
By march2022 all 114 dhanush were to be inducted , less than 18 have been supplied as I type this.
You can have shell but don't have artillery guns in numbers

Maharaj skandgupta

चक्रवर्ती
Country flag

View attachment 115895

Is this guiDed
Version. Of HsLd high speed low drag bomb ?

Kuldeepm952

Country flag

View attachment 115895

Yup, on page of ATAGS, drdo site, there's a mention of a long range guided munition, though currently in development or not is a question.

The problem is there is no annual report on current and upcoming drdo projects, even reports which are published are limited in scope and doesn't include everything. We enthusiasts gather info from here and there, just like MPDMS came out of blue(coz of tender) we can hope to see new exciting projects come into light in near future.

Although I do believe that production agency(mostly privately-owned) of these projects should be chosen on the basis of its ability to learn,absorb & innovate and finally be able to do R&D on it's own, be ahead in tech curve and produce export quality products.
And I hope Drdo FMBT doesn't goes to new OFB entity.:scared1:

Latest Replies

Global Defence

Articles