DRDO, PSU and Private Defence Sector News

Lonewolf

Psychopathic Neighbour
Country flag
You need structural modification by OEM to mount Netra type radar dorsally. Why paint before those modifications are made.
Also, those modifications will take time.
What those three spikes on its spune are for ?? I thought that's for attackment ,or is it tripod for awacs :megusta:

abingdonboy

Country flag
Why is everyone talking about Netra mk2? Isn't this the testbed aircraft for AMCA radar?

View attachment 100765

Spot on. Not explicitly for the NETRA MK.2 at all although some of its systems will definitely be tested on this airframe

This is a BIG step forward for AMCA though

Air India has quite a few 319s laying around so no reason why a couple more can’t be procured by DRDO to further their ISTAR/SIGINT, and even MPA projects

just impressed to see the govt machinery moving so quickly to get it into DRDO’s hands, eagerly awaiting seeing the modifications they’ll do with it

Truly exciting times, India is making the next step up, any indian that advocates F-35/Russian 5th gen should be shot. Trust the plan

Last edited:

Lonewolf

Psychopathic Neighbour
Country flag
The main question here is that will there be an onboard tea/coffee and coke machines and sandwich maker to help with those discussions? Otherwise the discussions will be pointless.
Discussion table to analyze data onnord and if needed collect alternative data , to avoid nber of sorties

abingdonboy

Country flag
I was commenting on the explicitly written thing on the plane like....most would just identify prototypes by a number in defence or more subtly.
Why does it matter? It’s not a military platform, it’s not doing anything overtly secretive

Its markings are appropriate for its job, look up the F-35’s FTB

iNorthernerOn9

Country flag
This is an Airbus A-321 (2nd hand from air India... approx 10 yrs old)... being customised for NETRA program.

Radar will be 20-25% larger... & additional scan antennas on front (maybe rear as well) to increase coverage from 240 degree to 300+ degrees
Ladies and Gentlemen,

After getting inputs from various sources about the viral pic... my above interpretation is false.

The pic is of a testbed for various sensors to be mounted on future platforms & not of NETRA mk2

For NETRA A-321(or Embraer) will be used... while pic is of A-319

abingdonboy

Country flag
Ladies and Gentlemen,

After getting inputs from various sources about the viral pic... my above interpretation is false.

The pic is of a testbed for various sensors to be mounted on future platforms & not of NETRA mk2

For NETRA A-321(or Embraer) will be used... while pic is of A-319
Embraer will definitely NOT be used for NETRA MK.2

it’ll be the A320/19 for NETRA MK.2 (doubt it will be the 321)

iNorthernerOn9

Country flag
Embraer will definitely NOT be used for NETRA MK.2

it’ll be the A320/19 for NETRA MK.2 (doubt it will be the 321)
My comment is based on statement of IAF chief. Also its logical... not to spend money on modifications of an Airbus... when it has already been done on Embraer

Chinmoy

Country flag
In that video it was also said that the present system has performed to the deal.

What's your point?

Also, you don't need trillion dollars for order but ORDERS!!!? which I am not seeing.

You said there was failure in drive system, I want to know the article of that.

I am not suggesting but I know how the system that will replace will be heavy, you want significant reduction you go for titanium.

The compactness of electric drives is very hard to achieve by similar system in mechanical ones.

Army also have electric engineers and technicians and in future it is only going to increase.

Army knew!?? when whole nation was building ATAGS what the main customer was doing? Don't tell me the present government or industry didn't take them into loop.

This type of running from goalposts is not going to help.

Regarding which system is best, YOU YOURSELF GAVE THE ANSWER earlier.

Regarding this army, I know the kabaddi they play.
Did IA said that ATAGS failed in its trials?

Did IA said that because of electric drive the system performed poorly?

If DRDO would have made the gun with hydraulic drive and IA would have asked for all electrical drive, then you and others would have blamed IA for asking star war tech and brought in example of ATHOS which is hydraulics based.
Now when IA wants just a tried and tested mechanism, you are again blaming IA for that.

Now when you order a system, you order a whole ecosystem along with it. So you need to take into account recurring cost of the whole ecosystem. And when you said IA has been taken into loop, then I am sorry buddy, you are living in a parallel universe. Let me show you why?

In these circumstances, say MoD sources, an indigenous 155-mm gun could be a politically palatable choice. Anil Datar, the ARDE Director, told Business Standard, “Within the DRDO, we are discussing how to develop a 155-mm gun. We can make it, no problem, with the help of Indian industry. A 155mm gun requires high-class manufacturing; we have Bharat Forge and L&T in and around Pune, which are keen to join us.”
Within DRDO they have formed a committee to decide on how to make it. They even talked with L&T and BF to join. But did they approached IA?

The DRDO spokesperson in New Delhi, Ravi Gupta, confirmed to the Business Standard, “The DRDO is very keen to develop 155-mm guns for the army. We had formed a team to work on this more than a decade ago, but the army did not give us a firm requirement then. Now, the army has expressed interest in the 155-mm gun project and preliminary work has already begun.”
Now when the trial of ATHOS and others were going on, DRDO already started the preliminary design work. Do you came across any statement whether DRDO has taken IA on board?

https://www.business-standard.com/a...ract-drdo-enters-the-fray-110072900042_1.html

Now read this.

“Two guns are currently undergoing trials and another two guns will join the trials in a month,” the official, who spoke on the condition of anonymity, said. “User-assisted trials will begin from May-June while the PSQR should be ready by July,” the official added.
https://www.thehindu.com/news/natio...-enter-next-stage-by-june/article25791046.ece

Design works started in 2013 and till 2018 PSQR was not released. So how could you say that DRDO has worked as per requirement of user?

Now I would not squarely blame DRDO on this.
IA should have its own design bureau or atleast they should have liaison officer based out in DRDO.
Less said about MoD is better. Electrical drive/ hydraulic drive, they simply don't care. All they care and concerned about is how much money they could save on a deal.

abingdonboy

Country flag
My comment is based on statement of IAF chief. Also its logical... not to spend money on modifications of an Airbus... when it has already been done on Embraer

Read the article itself.

his comments don’t have anything to do with NETRA MK.2 which will be on the A320 platform only.

it’s bizarre he says more NETRA MK.1s will be procured after NETRA MK.2 has already been sanctioned and Embraer has been blacklisted, until now there hasn’t been any indication that more NETRA MK.1 are on their way- not even DRDO has spoken about that

I’m more than certain that no more MK.1s will come for the IAF

Chinmoy

Country flag
ASMI is joint development between Infantry School Mhow and DRDO.
So it isn't just a collaboration between user ( IA) and Designer ( DRDO).
If only ASMI proceeds to trials phase expediately, it points to a systemic failure rather than success.
Other then ASMI there is one more product. The FAG which was jointly designed by IA and ARDE back in 1972. Its still serving and that too in numbers.

Chinmoy

Country flag
Barring the Tata LPTA 4x4 FAT for IFG and M777 all our FATs are 6x6. Old Scania FATs of Bofors and Russian ones of m46 have to be replaced anyway both are old and fuel guzzling . We are also inducting more artillery guns so we obviously need more FATs of larger size to keep up with the rest of the world. You may be right about the increase in fuel costs though, but we don’t know the fuel efficiency of the new ones compared to the old ones.
Yes. We don't know how fuel efficient the new ones would be and because of that it would also go thru tests.

Just last week a Kraz met an accident and we lost a life with couple of injuries. Reason for accident was that the road gave way under the weight of the truck.

Now just imagine a situation where a foreign truck meet our weight requirement, but people here are shouting and blaming IA for not inducting a heavier indigenous truck.

ladder

Country flag
Yes. We don't know how fuel efficient the new ones would be and because of that it would also go thru tests.

Just last week a Kraz met an accident and we lost a life with couple of injuries. Reason for accident was that the road gave way under the weight of the truck.

Now just imagine a situation where a foreign truck meet our weight requirement, but people here are shouting and blaming IA for not inducting a heavier indigenous truck.
Wouldn't pack howitzers ( which are mule portable) are best for the situation you have mentioned?

Latest Replies

New threads

Articles