DRDO begins work on indigenous MANPADS - MPDMS (Man-Portable Defensive Missile System)

Bleh

Laughing member
Country flag
If MPDMS is the first swadeshi .. then what was MPATGM.. Videshi ?
MPATGM is not air defence missile. 😐

Anyways DRDO has a habit of recycling designs , so they could base it on an old design and miniaturize it .
They are working on Astra-IR so definitely could be a modified version of it. 100km+ range will decrease to <10km so drastic size reduction shouldn't be an issue.

Echo1Charlie

Country flag
The DRDO has started the work on the first swadeshi MANPAD goes by the name of MPDMS (Man-Portable Defensive Missile System) The MPDMS will have a Dual-band infrared homing seeker, with fire and forget capability

View attachment 54041

Tender released 23rd Jul 2020.
FSAPDS, MPDMS, MPATGM, TEDBF, AMCA, FMBT, LCH, LUH, IMRH - seriously Is it that hard to give a name??!

Okabe Rintarou

Country flag

jai jaganath

Country flag
DRDO MPDMS tested. Pic courtesy @nixin :-

View attachment 173367

What now sirji. They tested it within 2 years. Out of syllabus aa gaya? kek.

Seems like the video cut off just before the interception.
Yeah man
They did it very fast
I mean they have a great experience when it comes to missiles
They can develop any missile in very short time

Okabe Rintarou

Country flag
Another pic courtesy @ClawReed787 nibba:-

X-posting from DRDO thread:-
This will also likely be a component of Navy's Indigenous CIWS to replace AK-630 and can also be used to create Tunguska SPAAG replacement instead of buying the Korean Biho that doesn't suit Army's requirements.

Another thing to consider: This MANPAD will be integrated with this Augmented Reality Head-Mounted Display that enables quick acquisition of target, as explained in this post by @Arihant Roy nibba:-
Indian Army starts process of acquiring 556 Augmented Reality Head Mounted Display ARHMD Systems under Make-II Category. After successful evaluation of responses, Project Sanction Order has been issued on 22 Feb'21 to 6 vendors to start developing the prototype.

The Augmented Reality Head Mounted Display System is conceived as capability enhancement to Land Based Air Defence Weapon Systems such as IGLA shoulder fired SAM & ZU-23mm 2B AD Gun System which will provide the operator with radar/Thermal Imaging sight outputs as overlays.

View attachment 79594

View attachment 79593

Yeah man
They did it very fast
I mean they have a great experience when it comes to missiles
They can develop any missile in very short time
Yeah. I think this project got started only in 2017, so its testing within 5 years. Lets hope it doesn't end up taking too long in testing.

jai jaganath

Country flag
Another pic courtesy @ClawReed787 nibba:-

X-posting from DRDO thread:-
This will also likely be a component of Navy's Indigenous CIWS to replace AK-630 and can also be used to create Tunguska SPAAG replacement instead of buying the Korean Biho that doesn't suit Army's requirements.

Another thing to consider: This MANPAD will be integrated with this Augmented Reality Head-Mounted Display that enables quick acquisition of target, as explained in this post by @Arihant Roy nibba:-

Yeah. I think this project got started only in 2017, so its testing within 5 years. Lets hope it doesn't end up taking too long in testing.
Ops I thought 2 years

Okabe Rintarou

Country flag
Ops I thought 2 years
Bro 2 years from the time they made the comment saying it will take till 2045. Otherwise most of these new projects of DRDO started in 2017 only. But 5 years is also a rather short time considering that this missile has a dual band IIR seeker and also looking at past missile programs like the IGMDP that started in the 80s but gave us Akash only by end of 90s and early 2000s

Okabe Rintarou

Country flag
good point...btw this was the first test of the type r8?
Yeah, first test. But I really wonder why its not smokeless. Oh well, other than RBS 70 NG, no MANPAD is smokeless. But it shouldn't have been unattainable seeing as we have smokeless in Astra.

So, it's going to have tripod launcher ?
That is true. RBS 70 is heavy at around 90 kg.
But no, DRDO MPDMS seems like its going to be in the Igla-S class because its not on a tripod. It is first firing so ofcourse they have the launcher on a mount, but the shape of mount is not tripod. Its some kind of a rail on a vertical fixed pole. So doesn't look like they plan for it to be tripod mounted in future.,

BTW, is RBS 70 NG also beam-riding?

ClawReed787

Country flag
Yeah, first test. But I really wonder why its not smokeless. Oh well, other than RBS 70 NG, no MANPAD is smokeless. But it shouldn't have been unattainable seeing as we have smokeless in Astra.

That is true. RBS 70 is heavy at around 90 kg.
But no, DRDO MPDMS seems like its going to be in the Igla-S class because its not on a tripod. It is first firing so ofcourse they have the launcher on a mount, but the shape of mount is not tripod. Its some kind of a rail on a vertical fixed pole. So doesn't look like they plan for it to be tripod mounted in future.,

BTW, is RBS 70 NG also beam-riding?
Yo, I am no expert:yo:.But I checked Rbs has laser guidance.

Okabe Rintarou

Country flag
But is it jammable? Both starstreak and rbs are claimed to be unjammable.
It takes some bold marketing to claim what Starstreak and RBS claim. They claim un-jammable because its SACLOS missile. Ofcourse SACLOS makes it un-jammable. But then their missile is not fire and forget. The operator is stuck in place till the missile reaches target, maaking the operator vulnerable.
Ask them how they plan to jam a dual band IIR seeker of DRDO MPDMS. Especially when most aircraft these days don't have MAWS, let alone DIRCM, so they can't even know the MPDMS is coming for them.
SACLOS is old technology but these foreign companies will shamelessly market it as next gen. While paying our domestic dalals to write hit pieces on our more advanced missiles.

Okabe Rintarou

Country flag
DRDO MPDMS can also replace Mistral on HAL LCH and HAL Rudra, right? This missile alone will save us Billions in forex. VSHORADs for Army alone was slated to cost $1.5 Billion upfront, not including the future orders. On top of that now it'll be AAM for our heptrs, CIWS missile and maybe even the missile on our SPAAG.

Latest Replies

Global Defence

New threads

Articles