DRDO, PSU and Private Defence Sector News

Bleh

Laughing member
Country flag
Their aim 120d has range more than 160 km already. They were content with it since only Europeans had longer ranged meteor. Russian only have r37 m which is more of awacs killer due to its size and weight.

Now owning to chinese competition their are developing two programs aim260 and long range engagement by Raytheon.

Let's see what technology they come up with . But for now meteor and sfdr reign supreme.
Still without dual-pulse I don't see how they can hope to match energy of same 160km Astra Mark2 at beyond 100km range. 😕

Ghost hale

Country flag
Their aim 120d has range more than 160 km already. They were content with it since only Europeans had longer ranged meteor. Russian only have r37 m which is more of awacs killer due to its size and weight.

Now owning to chinese competition their are developing two programs aim260 and long range engagement by Raytheon.

Let's see what technology they come up with . But for now meteor and sfdr reign supreme.
K-77M dual pulse tested twice by oct 2020 for su 57 and got another ramjet in development Izdeliye 180-PD.

Vorschlaghammer

Country flag
It is quite difficult to believe that USA which is pouring 100 billion USD for next gen air defence development is not working on best AAM technology. I tried to do some research on the same and can't even find under development projects for AAMs with SFDR except DRDO's. All developed or under developed missiles are SAM or anti ship or air to surface. Can't pin point any reason for it. Even our ramjet tech is developed from help by Russia and they themselves are not working on any such AAMs. Seems quite strange.
I don't know... USA didn't even manage dual-pulse or TVC in their AIM-120. I'm starting to think they waste more money than they utilise.
US has loads of shelved research which can be operationalized.

They tested the SFDR concept back in the 1950s with Project Crow and RARE.

in the 70s, the ASALM had a ramjet.

F-22 was supposed to have a stealth AAM with ramjet.

Not to mention, Meteor itself would not exist today, if history played out differently.

4 October 1995

For now apparently they're working on the AIM-260 and LREW

[URL unfurl="true"]https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/AIM-260_JATM[/URL]

Last edited:

Absolute

Country flag
So here is something I wanted to discuss with you all as I was curious. I remember reading on wikipedia that the 9M97E missile of the S-400 system can be used as a scout, using its radar seeker to locate air borne targets beyond the horizon of the ground radar, and sending the target information to the command and control vehicle through data link. Although that part seems to have been removed from the article since.

This made me think- Brahmos is soon going to have an SAR seeker. With this seeker, Brahmos would be able to form an image of the target area in its onboard computer, allowing it to more effectively locate targets amid ground clutter. So is it possible to develop a variant of brahmos, in which the warhead is replaced with equipment for satellite data link? This variant could reach airbases and other instillations deep inside enemy territory, and send their SAR images back through data link.

You might think this could also be done by drones. But since drones have to fly back to base, their effective range is cut by half. Brahmos on the other hand, will be able to utilize its full range (which could ultimately be over 800 km), allowing it to image instillations much further away. Another advantage brahmos would have is its speed, allowing it to reach the target location and send back images in a matter of minutes, even if the target location is 800 km away. Subsonic drones can't match that.

Suppose brahmos sends SAR images of an airbase 800 km away, and the SAR images show multiple enemy aircraft on the tarmac (like stratrgic bombers). A number of conventional brahmos missiles could then be launched, and owing to their speed, they could reach the air base and hit the aircraft on the tarmac, before they are able to take off. The whole process of the scout brahmos reaching the base, sending back the images, conventional brahmos missiles reaching the base and hitting the aircraft, would be completed in a matter of minutes.

The valuable intelligence obtained from the SAR images could also be advantageous in helping with battle planning. And this strategy would also help with better utilization of missiles. We would have to launch just one scout missile at each enemy airbase, and find out exactly how many aircraft are present and in which airbases. Than the number of conventional missiles launched at those bases will depend on the number of aircraft found in them. What do you all think? Is this something doable and worthwhile?
So in context of this musing of mine a while
ago, recently released info about the Iranian BM attack on the Al Asad US base seems to validate my belief that use of long range missiles for scouting targets is a worthwhile tactic. It turns out that the US had intelligence about the Iranians buying commercial satellite imagery of the base, which alerted the US and led to evacuation of equipment and personnel before the missiles hit the base. Had Iranians used a scout variant of the missiles instead of commercial sat imagery for recon, they would have caught their adversary off guard with little time to evacuate.

SavageKing456

Country flag
I don't know... USA didn't even manage dual-pulse or TVC in their AIM-120. I'm starting to think they waste more money than they utilise.
I think they're pushing for futuristic weapons like tactical laser

Ghost hale

Country flag
US has loads of shelved research which can be operationalized.

They tested the SFDR concept back in the 1950s with Project Crow and RARE.

in the 70s, the ASALM had a ramjet.

F-22 was supposed to have a stealth AAM with ramjet.

Not to mention, Meteor itself would not exist today, if history played out differently.

4 October 1995

For now apparently they're working on the AIM-260 and LREW

[URL unfurl="true"]https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/AIM-260_JATM[/URL]

US started development, developed and successfully tested and then idea is benched and that too multiple times 20 30 years before everyone in the world. It seems more of propaganda than missile development. They developed AAMs with longer range and never put them in production without any reason seems out of left field for a country who waste money in defence like nobody's business.
Even if all this is true fact of the matter is there is no operational AAM with SFDR except meteor and that is still a mystery. Only reason that might be possible explanation seems to be that except meteor no other AAM mainly from rival nations like Russia and china had any kind of edge over AIM-120. A very strange fact though.

ezsasa

Designated Cynic
Mod
Country flag
US started development, developed and successfully tested and then idea is benched and that too multiple times 20 30 years before everyone in the world. It seems more of propaganda than missile development. They developed AAMs with longer range and never put them in production without any reason seems out of left field for a country who waste money in defence like nobody's business.
Even if all this is true fact of the matter is there is no operational AAM with SFDR except meteor and that is still a mystery. Only reason that might be possible explanation seems to be that except meteor no other AAM mainly from rival nations like Russia and china had any kind of edge over AIM-120. A very strange fact though.
Perhaps after Yugoslavia fell in early 90’s they never was much use of long range AAM, last of serious air battles of US airforce were during that war.

Ghost hale

Country flag
Perhaps after Yugoslavia fell in early 90’s they never was much use of long range AAM, last of serious air battles of US airforce were during that war.
For nations like US and Russia which have been traditionally defence exporters, its just not about wars or threats for their country but to places where there armaments go. Wars makes money for exporters and has been pure business for a long time now. Defence complexes spending so much on lobbying is for same reason. As AIM had superiority over rival aircraft armaments, no one bothered. As Russia and China started long range development, US also jumps in. U will see more of this happening as and when India grows as defence exporter.

Mantospace

Country flag
Heard about meteor missile , well it is our desi version of it
Is this missile so complex as drdo already developed astra . Lot of videos coming up in youtube that this creating a problem in minds of western countries.

Latest Replies

Global Defence

New threads

Articles