DRDO, PSU and Private Defence Sector News

Gerlat

Country flag
Ok. I have already posted the link. Re-posting the same.

You got confused with air defence radar and multipurpose naval radar.
TILL DATE NO, IN give more importance to indigenous one.

Lonewolf

Psychopathic Neighbour
Country flag
You got confused with air defence radar and multipurpose naval radar.
TILL DATE NO, IN give more importance to indigenous one.
He meant a radar capable of doing surveillance, tracking , acquisition , and missile guidance /fire control all by itself , no radar is capable of doing so for naval purpose we can modify it for that purpose but a surveillance radar can't be modified easily for above task.

I think it would be a whole new radar with gan module bringing tech from mf fcr , revathi , arudhra , rajendra in a single radar with a range of about 650 km

Gerlat

Country flag
He meant a radar capable of doing surveillance, tracking , acquisition , and missile guidance /fire control all by itself , no radar is capable of doing so for naval purpose we can modify it for that purpose but a surveillance radar can't be modified easily for above task.

I think it would be a whole new radar with gan module bringing tech from mf fcr , revathi , arudhra , rajendra in a single radar with a range of about 650 km
I all ready made that point, but the question is about mfstar, not its land version. We already developed one, deployed better ones and buying same, and buy more advanced ones. My answer is to the first question. Answer - No. But having capability to build one in near future.

Chinmoy

Country flag
I think you confused between elm 2084 and mf star, till date India don't deployed something like mfstar[indigenous one]. Also ordered mfstar for p17a. Maybe akash2/astra-vl navy version comes with similar one.
I got your point. Its true that India has not tested any of the RADAR for its naval operation. There are many reasons for that which BTW are getting addressed one by one.

Lets compare MF-FCR with MF-STAR (ELM-2248) on functional parameters.

ELM-2248 could do following functions.

1- Simultaneous multi-engagement support
2- Active and semi active missile support
3- 3D long-range air surveillance
4- 3D medium range automatic threat alert
5- Missile horizon search and threat alert
6- Target classification (including helicopter)

https://www.iai.co.il/p/elm-2248-mf-star

Now I seriously hate DRDO on how they club up the whole specs in a single line. But lets differentiate on point basis.

MF-FCR could perform following functions.

1- It has the capability to perform extensive search, track multiple targets and missiles.
2- It has the capability to command and guide own multiple missiles concurrently.
3- 3D long-range air surveillance is its primary function.
4- Automatic threat alert is the basic function of any search and track radar.
5- Missile search and track already covered in point 1.
6- Being a Air defence radar, it could search and target any kind of air threat, be it jets or helis.

So you could see that, on functional parameters, it is doing all the jobs of ELM-2248 except being deployed on a ship and tested in a sea environment.

Lonewolf

Psychopathic Neighbour
Country flag
I got your point. Its true that India has not tested any of the RADAR for its naval operation. There are many reasons for that which BTW are getting addressed one by one.

Now I seriously hate DRDO on how they club up the whole specs in a single line. But lets differentiate on point basis.

1- It has the capability to perform extensive search, track multiple targets and missiles.
2- It has the capability to command and guide own multiple missiles concurrently.
6- Being a Air defence radar, it could search and target any kind of air threat, be it jets or helis.

So you could see that, on functional parameters, it is doing all the jobs of ELM-2248 except being deployed on a ship and tested in a sea environment.
But can't find it in drdo broucher , please share link , or it's other name

ladder

Country flag
@Karthi please explain if we have any radar that can be developed as multipurpose radar for surveillance , tracking , fire control , replacing mf star and exceeding it
One of the thrust areas for Indian Navy.

Major application areas that need to be pursued through in-house R&D efforts include the following:-
(a) Development of Multifunction Phased Array Radars.
(b) Development of Synthetic Aperture Radars (SARs).
(c) Development of Low Probability of Intercept (LPI) Radars.
(d) Development of Millimetre Wave Radars

Attachments

Gerlat

Country flag

That's what I'm talking about. Once Astra vl, akash 2 naval version comes with DRDO radar similar to mfstar. Akash 2 system is one of the best in the world and if it's mobile like akash 1, then a game changer also.

ladder

Country flag
That's what I'm talking about. Once Astra vl, akash 2 naval version comes with DRDO radar similar to mfstar. Akash 2 system is one of the best in the world and if it's mobile like akash 1, then a game changer also.

Last edited:

Gerlat

Country flag

Thanks for the links especially the first one. These all radar main purpose is for air surveillance, for identifying airborne items. India already masters those technologies. Now ground modes including sar/isar and sea modes.[uttam, spy satellites etc]. Next jet propulsion technology for manned transport, etc.[having some success with kaveri project].

ladder

Country flag
Thanks for the links especially the first one. These all radar main purpose is for air surveillance, for identifying airborne items. India already masters those technologies. Now ground modes including sar/isar and sea modes.[uttam, spy satellites etc]. Next jet propulsion technology for manned transport, etc.[having some success with kaveri project].
Air surveillance radar can be modified to pick up objects from sea surface which has sea clutter in the background.

Has been done in Revathi radar when modified from 3D CAR . Also the 3D CAR was modified to Rohini Radar ( IAF) and 3D TCR ( Army version).
  • Sea surface targets - 80 Km, Air targets - 150 Km, Sea skimming missiles - 40 Km.

Last edited:

Tactical Doge

𝕱𝖔𝖔𝖑𝖘 𝖗𝖚𝖘𝖍 𝖆𝖓𝖉 𝖆𝖓𝖌𝖊𝖑𝖘 𝖋𝖊𝖆𝖗
Country flag
1 of you is talking about the screen in the cockpit and another about the large TV display in front of the simulator cockpit.
I'm talking about the large area display
Like the F35

Gerlat

Country flag
Air surveillance radar can be modified to pick up objects from sea surface which has sea clutter in the background.

Has been done in Revathi radar when modified from 3D CAR . Also the 3D CAR was modified to Rohini Radar ( IAF) and 3D TCR ( Army version).

I know about Revathi radar. I'm aware of most of drdo radars [operational].
In simple- Revathi is not mfstar and I'm more interested in new, upcoming radar, sensors technology [drdo/indigenous].
IN looking for qrsam, srsam for those boats.
What about eots/irst on IN ships ?
New data/information always welcome. Also about akash 2 fcr.

Emperor Kalki

Country flag
Please elaborate
I would have, if I was an expert in antenna structures and signal generation. But since I'm not, i would suggest you ask someone more knowledgeable or our सर्वज्ञानी "Google".

All I could understand from that was the shape of the antenna, which was not the much simpler planar shape with a slot, but instead a 3D version of that...more like the shape you would see if you rotated the normal vivaldi antenna along its longitudinal axis (hence named Body of Revolution Vivaldi). So that's "what it is". Now why is it so?..... I don't know that.

But ofcourse, anybody who can read can understand that much from that pic 🤷🏻‍♂️

Latest Replies

Global Defence

New threads

Articles