DRDO, PSU and Private Defence Sector News

FalconSlayers

धर्मो रक्षति रक्षितः
Country flag
View attachment 64462

What missile is being fired here? Is it Helina or Sant?

According to a recent article by Rahul Singh, SANT will be fired from a Mi-35 in December. IAF is planning to integrate Sant with Mi-35. He was mum about the integration with LCH.
What about the Strum Ataka missiles we bought from Russia for ₹200 crores for MI-35? I guess MI-35 won’t require additional ATGMS, HELINA and SANT are for Rudra and LCH imo.

Chinmoy

Country flag
I am not sure but I think you are talking about graphite bomb and if that's the case than graphite bomb cannot be compared with EMP bomb. IMO there is no equivalence whatsoever.

Graphite bomb is very limited in scope as it can only be used to short circuit " exposed " electrical distribution systems like high voltage transmission lines , sub stations , electrical grids etc by releasing long strands/fibres of graphite.

EMP bomb functionality is totally different and far more effective in terms of capabilities and damage done to both " exposed " and " protected " electrical and electronic systems both directly and indirectly and at a large scale.
Yes. EMP device is more of a surgeon apparatus then C-Bomb, which is more of a butcher cleaver.

porky_kicker

Country flag
That is pathetic, especially considering Rudra is a helo.
Do you know hal supplied the Rudras ahead of schedule and the helis were in storage for months yet army did not take delivery of the same for reasons best known to them ( I guess lack of type qualified pilots or delay in raising unit for the same etc )

Killbot

Country flag
Do you know hal supplied the Rudras ahead of schedule and the helis were in storage for months yet army did not take delivery of the same for reasons best known to them ( I guess lack of type qualified pilots or delay in raising unit for the same etc )
Oh... Isn't army supposed to store them after they are ordered? And even so, why is the production rate so low?

porky_kicker

Country flag
Oh... Isn't army supposed to store them after they are ordered? And even so, why is the production rate so low?
Store them where , if they don't have the facilities created for the new helis at the unit base in the first place etc

Generally
Production rate is directly proportional to production orders.
Low production orders will result in low production rate

Killbot

Country flag
Store them where , if they don't have the facilities created for the new helis at the unit base in the first place.

Generally
Production rate is directly proportional to production orders.
Low production orders will result in low production rate
How about LCA, then? Can they produce it faster s if contingency arises?

FalconZero

Country flag
They already have 7 LCH laying around which are yet to see the orders from the army. Absolute state. This is one department where they have done pretty well, be it rudra, lch, dhruv or luh. Ab order nahi de rhe toh weh kya kar skte hai.

Dessert Storm

Country flag
They already said that they will setup new production lines to ramp up the production, if government shows intention and throws money at them yes why they can't?
Setting up a new assembly would need at least six months. Theoretically, even with double-shifts, you can't guarantee a ramp-up as the whole supplier eco-system needs to be taken into consideration plus you need trained manpower in the additional shift. War these days ain't expected to last so long that anybody would be having time to ramp up during war, with fruitful results in context of the contingency.

FalconZero

Country flag
Setting up a new assembly would need at least six months. Theoretically, even with double-shifts, you can't guarantee a ramp-up as the whole supplier eco-system needs to be taken into consideration plus you need trained manpower in the additional shift. War these days ain't expected to last so long that anybody would be having time to ramp up during war, with fruitful results in context of the contingency.
Talks about setting up second production line were going on for long, dating back to last year or so, the issue was/is funding and if the deal for say mk1a gets signed then HAL will have clear order so to meet the production rate they can go for another production line.
I am not talking about wartime or anything just normal day to day work. Mk1a was supposed to come out in it 2023 or so and by that time frame they can have a working production line, I don't see an issue here.
He said ramping up production is not a big issue. The production line is fixed as per the number of order. As of now we have only 40 Tejas on order. Once we get the order of the next 83 Tejas Mark1A jets, we are geared up to make 16 planes and ramp it up to 20 per year.

The production speed depends upon the size of the order. Setting up a new line costs Rs 1,500 crore. With ramped up production, we can do the 83 Tejas Mark 1A jets within four years.
Source : https://www.tribuneindia.com/news/nation/20-tejas-a-year-possible-hal-chief-37648

Also, we already have the second production line while the third one is underway, don't know about its status.
2nd production line has a capacity to produce 3 aircraft per annum while first can produce 5 of them per annum.

Dessert Storm

Country flag
Talks about setting up second production line were going on for long, dating back to last year or so, the issue was/is funding and if the deal for say mk1a gets signed then HAL will have clear order so to meet the production rate they can go for another production line.
I am not talking about wartime or anything just normal day to day work. Mk1a was supposed to come out in it 2023 or so and by that time frame they can have a working production line, I don't see an issue here.

Source : https://www.tribuneindia.com/news/nation/20-tejas-a-year-possible-hal-chief-37648

Also, we already have the second production line while the third one is underway, don't know about its status.
2nd production line has a capacity to produce 3 aircraft per annum while first can produce 5 of them per annum.
The original question was about 'contingency'. My reply was in that context only.
I am not in disagreement with anything you are saying. All of what you are saying about the production/assembly lines is, broadly speaking, true.

porky_kicker

Country flag

Watch the complete video or if you don't have the patience from 8 m onwards

Haas haas ke NHAI ka pant utar diya
Hope you guys now understand how even a sincere minister that too a union minister is literally helpless against moronic and corrupt bureaucrats.

Ministers stay in power for five years. They don't perform we can kick them out. Bureaucrats who don't perform are secure in their jobs till retirement.

Last edited:

porky_kicker

Country flag
How about LCA, then? Can they produce it faster s if contingency arises?
First increase production orders which will make it economically viable to invest in bigger production capability .

If contingency arises , there rate of production might get increased marginally only, because bottlenecks will arise in the supply chain which require time to cope with increased demands , when the increased demand from supply chain is met then production rate will automatically increase.

Long story short contingency cannot cater to increase in demand in a short time since corresponding increase in production capability and supply chain which will require a considerable amount of time and money to setup. This is true for any complex product which depends on a extensive supply chain and complex production facilities.

Latest Replies

Global Defence

New threads

Articles