DRDO, PSU and Private Defence Sector News

porky_kicker

Country flag
I did some digging around for clarification and I can confirm now Nag propulsion and Helina propulsion system working is different . There is no similarity.

So please ignore my previous post regarding Nag propulsion ( the information regarding Helina is correct though ). Sorry for the mistake.

In my defence DRDO presentation slide wrongly showed Nag labelled as Helina.

I will post the correct information later on .

kurup

Country flag
Maybe you got influenced by this

View attachment 63988

This is for display purpose only during parades , shows etc . Because Government thinks ordinary Indians are morons who if not shown the pointy nose sticking out of a launcher will consider it to be empty and not dangerous enough.

Reason why they do this with brahmos pinaka also

View attachment 63991

View attachment 63987

So if I were to use this logic does it mean , brahmos and pinaka rounds extends beyond their cannisters too.

The very purpose of a cannister round is to keep the missile inside in hermetically sealed , temperature controlled condition so as to prevent degradation of components of missiles during storage , operational deployment , ready to fire conditions etc . Cannistered missiles can last way beyond 10 years upto 30 years.

View attachment 63989

View attachment 63990

View attachment 63993

View attachment 63992

Refer the 4 pic's above. Shaurya is a cannistered missile fully enclosed and sealed tight. It doesn't extend beyond the cannister , I will guarantee it 110 %.

The holding arm is installed for the parade display purpose only. Refer the pic's below

View attachment 63996

View attachment 63992

There is no holding arm on the vehicle itself ( as seen in the shaurya tel in the parade show ) , but a rest mount is seen on the cannister launcher top most bracket itself.

For SMART they added in a mount to the shourya tel ( same as in parade display vehicle ) to hold the SMART missile above the cabin since the SMART missile extends beyond the cannister unlike shaurya missile.
Ok , the presence of holding arm is what caused the confusion .

Thanks for the clarification

porky_kicker

Country flag
Ok , the presence of holding arm is what caused the confusion .

Thanks for the clarification
Asking questions is what makes things interesting and increases clarity both for the one who asks and the one who answers.

Eg . I posted a hour ago something on nag which I later myself found out to be wrong . Important thing is later I found new information on how nag works which was unknown to me previously

Anyways I feel the holding arm ( in SMART / parade launcher ) is folding type and hydraulically elevated which allows it to be raised or lowered to the necessary resting postion as per need for different missiles . Its a small change but increases the flexibility of the launcher for use by even missiles with increased length .

Last edited:

ArgonPrime

Tihar Jail
Banned
Country flag
The final moments of the Nag Atgm just before it hit its target- a derelict Vijayanta in a top attack mode.

View attachment 63998

Now we need to place an order for around 100 Namica and deploy half of them in Eastern Ladakh. Namica can also be used in a bunker busting role at the LoC. The possibilities are endless. We need to induct this asap.
Nag for bunker-busting?? Don't you think that would be just too damn expensive?? I think Konkurs and Milans should be used for that role.

Arihant Roy

Country flag
Nag for bunker-busting?? Don't you think that would be just too damn expensive?? I think Konkurs and Milans should be used for that role.
If we mass produce it in large nos the cost will be low but no doubt it will be more expensive than Milan and Konkurs.

But with Namica Nag combination you have the capability to target bunkers upto 4 kms away in rapid succession . Milan 2 has a 2.5 km range unlike the 4 km range of Nag and Konkurs.And since it's a fire and forget missile there won't be any need for the vehicle to stay there and remain exposed to hostile fire.

To have rapid fire, you would need multiple atgm teams . Here Namica can shoot off a couple of rounds by the time it takes to load another Milan or Konkurs.

porky_kicker

Country flag
This is a snapshot from a DRDO technical doc on NAG

AddText_10-22-11.07.51.jpg

This provides clear evidence that in NAG

1. Sustainer motor is at the rear of the missile, with the exhaust being vented through a blast tube.

2. Booster motor with 4 lateral nozzles is further up ahead of the sustainer motor.

3. Both the sustainer and the booster motors are fired simultaneously.

4. The booster motor with the 4 lateral nozzles burns out after providing the necessary acceleration , while the sustainer motor continues to run almost throughout the full flight duration.

NAG launch sequence from the latest test fire video correlated with the DRDO published info posted above

1.jpg

1. Both booster and sustainer motor firing. However the exhaust exiting at the back of the launch tube is mainly from the sustainer motor which is at the rear of the NAG missile.

3x.jpg

2. Both booster and sustainer motor on, the exhaust plume from the sustainer motor is substantial , correspondingly the axially aligned thrust from the expanding gases from the sustainer motor, exiting out of the launcher end is enough to push the NAG missile out of the launch tube. ( Inside the launch tube the 4 lateral thrusters of the booster motor don't contribute to forward thrust because there is no space for the exhaust gas from the 4 side mounted thrusters of the booster motor to expand since the missile fits tightly inside the launch tube )

3.jpg

4.jpg

3. The plume from the 4 lateral thrusters of the booster motor is now visible. Since the missile is out , the exhaust gas coming out from the 4 lateral thrusters of the booster motor can now expand and provide forward acceleration to the NAG missile. Simultaneously the sustainer motor continues to burn adding to the acceleration of the NAG missile.

4x.jpg

4. The plume from the 4 lateral thrusters of the booster motor is still visible , which means it is yet to run out of fuel. But at some point in the flight it will run out of fuel and shut down but not before it provides the required momentum to the missile. Meanwhile the sustainer motor continues to burn and produce thrust.

6.jpg

5. Plume from the exhaust of the sustainer motor is visible which means the sustainer motor is still on and producing thrust for the terminal stage, till impact of the NAG missile on the target with considerably high velocity . Meanwhile no plume from the 4 lateral thrusters of the booster motor is visible which means the fuel of the booster motor has run out sometime ago.

And this should clear the doubts ( atleast for me )

Ad38.38.jpg

Last edited:

porky_kicker

Country flag
This is a snapshot from a DRDO technical doc on HELINA

Ad3-07.02.32.jpg

This provides clear evidence that in HELINA

1. Booster motor is at the rear of the missile, with the exhaust being vented through a fixed bell shaped nozzle.

2. Sustainer motor with 2 lateral nozzles is further up ahead of the booster motor.

The following pic's are from the video of test fire of HELINA missile from Rudra helicopter.

10656989_addtext112906_59_27_jpegb0af249b1bd308cd5a622655a367ba9e.jpeg

The booster motor has fired inside the launch tube pushing the Helina missile out of the same ( note the orange colour at the rear of tube due to the plume of the missile )

10656990_addtext112906_58_29_jpeg9bb8ede5264217c205e09715440ecce6.jpeg

The Helina missile has exited the launch tube completely . No plume from the 2 sustainer nozzles visible ( sometimes due to the lighting conditions , small plumes are not visible , so cant comment for sure on the sustainer motor status )

10656991_addtext112906_56_52_jpeg445255e03e2fdba740e07dd5e093035e.jpeg

10656997_addtext112906_58_57_jpeg0e4359129f4380d8f1bfc09f2230d51e.jpeg

The plume from the booster motor is definitely large as its effect is visible on the launch till even after the Helina missile has traveled away from it.

Another set of pic's from another angle

10656977_addtext112907_12_56_jpeg2750a47f6f25d17c718fba0f162b1a40.jpeg

10656981_addtext112907_04_15_jpeg48ad6dea1444594a209724dc57b46e96.jpeg

10656979_addtext112907_05_25_jpeg4dd13b1744cf1728c16dfc6cd6a99bc5.jpeg

From this angle the prominent plume from the booster motor of Helina missile is again visible . But there is no visible sign of the sustainer motor firing ( note sometimes small plumes from side thrusters which travel along the surface of the missile body don't show up due to small size and lighting conditions , hence I cannot comment on the status of the sustainer motor at this point without concrete evidence )

And what happens afterwards in flight with regard to both booster and sustainer motor , I don't know for sure since information regarding same is not available , I can guess but won't, since it won't serve any purpose. Best wait for more concrete evidences from official sources.

Anyways what is confirmed is that Helina propulsion configuration is different from that of Nag.

Ad49.18.jpg

Last edited:

Karthi

Country flag
@Karthi could you give inputs on this one.
Bros this is a separate Government program for installing and Indigenousing super Computer technology.

Phase I involves assembling of the supercomputers, in Phase II, certain components like the motherboards would be manufactured in India, and in the third phase, the supercomputer would be designed in India by C-DAC. The aim is to install several TF and PF systems across various academic and research institutions .

Phase 1 completed by adding several infrastructure at various places ( actual figures don't know).6.6 PF computing power installed in phase 1??

In phase two we installed Param Shivay , Param Brahma , Param Shakthi and another 11? Are under installation , COVID delayed the installations . In these systems Various Subsystems and inbuilt microprocessors are used/ will use . Another 8 systems are installed at Various Institutions at NE . Five systems with 3 PF Indigenously designed will be operational in near future.

100 PF AI super Computer , 20 PF super Computer and a Super Computer server Rudra installed at C- DAC. Belived that Phase two will finish at April 2021.

Phase 3 will commence January 2021 , in phase 3 most of the system will be Indigenous.

All These systems are interconnected with National Knowledge Grid ?? . Don't need to worry about the Peta Terra flops things , we can upgrade these systems to various speeds whenever a need arise .

And an exa scale super Computer is under development and it made some progress ✌

Latest Replies

Global Defence

New threads

Articles