DRDO, PSU and Private Defence Sector News

Shaitan

Zandu Balm all day
Mod
Country flag
Possibly the truck mounted Ak-630 concept.
AddText_06-07-06.14.20.jpg
Dont think so, it'll be a better integrated system with possible dual cannons, manpads, and a radar along the lines of what is in India already the Russian Tunguska and the Korean offering of the K30 hanhwa.

Bleh

Laughing member
Country flag
it'll be a better integrated system with possible dual cannons, manpads, and a radar along the lines of what is in India already the Russian Tunguska and the Korean offering of the K30 hanhwa.
Any source, or just hunch?
Because for Shilka upgrade package with new radar & digital controls is available now. Why will they buy new?.. It's just auto-cannons.

Shaitan

Zandu Balm all day
Mod
Country flag
Any source, or just hunch?
Because for Shilka upgrade package with new radar & digital controls is available now. Why will they buy new?.. It's just auto-cannons.
If they're ditching the Korea K30 which competed with an upgraded Russian Tunguska, I am assuming the requirement DRDO is trying to meet is for a replacement similar to those two competitors. Upgraded Shilka been around for a while now, but the IA was still trialing the other AA platforms. I think it's being procured in tandem.

Karthi

Country flag
Indian researchers with the help of LRDE developed C Band GaN based active phased array antenna.
integrated APAA.jpg

Cavity backed Patch radiating element.jpg

Most of the MMICs used in this is developed in house . Best suited for ground based Surveillance systems.

Chinmoy

Country flag
Dont think so, it'll be a better integrated system with possible dual cannons, manpads, and a radar along the lines of what is in India already the Russian Tunguska and the Korean offering of the K30 hanhwa.
OFB already showed the abomination in all physical aspect.

WolfPack86

Country flag
ATAGS allegedly suffered a Barrel Blast last week,DRDO begins probe into accident
The Defence Research and Development Organisation (DRDO) has begun a thorough investigation into an accident involving an indigenously-developed howitzer gun system in Pokhran in Rajasthan last week, officials said on Thursday.

The accident took place when the howitzer was undergoing firing, they said. The Advanced Towed Artillery Gun System (ATAGS) is being developed by the DRDO along with two private-sector defence majors.

“Scientists are probing in detailed into the incident,” DRDO Chairman Dr G Satheesh Reddy told PTI.

The indigenously-developed ATAGS are being billed as one of the best among the ones in its range globally. During its last trials, it had fired at a distance of around 47 km.

The Army requires a sizeable number of ATAGS for deployment along the frontiers with China and Pakistan.

In 2017, the Army received the first batch of two ultra-light howitzers from the US after a 30-year wait for new artillery guns since the induction of Bofors guns in the mid-1980s.

The M-777 A-2 ultra-light howitzers (ULH) have a maximum range of 30 km and manufactured by the BAE Systems.

The Indian Army is in dire need of ULH and India had struck a government-to-government deal with the US in November 2016 for supply of the 145 howitzers at a cost of nearly Rs 5,000 crore.

Bleh

Laughing member
Country flag
OFB already showed the abomination in all physical aspect.
Why is everyone going by looks?.. If it performs & claers the nightmarish trials then it's good to go.
Ok yeah, I know I'm biased towards 4×4 mounted firepower... But still.

This is always better than that fixed/towed version.
1156988_original.jpg
oz57m5376Rij5kVKoSW-o.jpg

Last edited:

Chinmoy

Country flag
Why is everyone going by looks?.. If it performs & claers the nightmarish trials then it's good to go.
Ok yeah, I know I'm biased towards 4×4 mounted firepower... But still.

This is always better than that fixed/towed version.
View attachment 59517View attachment 59519
I am not talking about the looks, I am talking about the practical aspect. Have a look at some of Truck mounted CIWS.

220px-C-RAM_3.JPG

Centurion C-RAM.jpg

Centurion_C-RAM_Counter-Rocket_Artillery_Mortar_weapons_system_United_States_American_US_army_...jpg

Now these are proper CIWS which could be used even on move or as a static defence. With the gun mount so high, the center of gravity for the whole thing is already screwed up. Try to fire it on move, in all probability it would simply topple down. Try to move it on a mountainous terrain, the result would be same.
Its a simple jugaad instead of a proper CIWS. But even the jugaad has not been done properly. Let us see a similar jugaad here.

images 1.jpg

Just compare it with OFB abomination and you would notice the difference.

Lets see a way of mounting the same AK-630 on a truck.

images.jpg

Tuco

Country flag
I am not talking about the looks, I am talking about the practical aspect. Have a look at some of Truck mounted CIWS.

View attachment 59527

View attachment 59528

View attachment 59529

Now these are proper CIWS which could be used even on move or as a static defence. With the gun mount so high, the center of gravity for the whole thing is already screwed up. Try to fire it on move, in all probability it would simply topple down. Try to move it on a mountainous terrain, the result would be same.
Its a simple jugaad instead of a proper CIWS. But even the jugaad has not been done properly. Let us see a similar jugaad here.

View attachment 59530
Just compare it with OFB abomination and you would notice the difference.

Lets see a way of mounting the same AK-630 on a truck.

View attachment 59531
Most probably the target acquiring and guiding components of that OFB frankenstein is on a separate vehicle, adding to the overall complexities like maintaining a link between two systems, vehicle footprints etc etc.

Chinmoy

Country flag
Most probably the target acquiring and guiding components of that OFB frankenstein is on a separate vehicle, adding to the overall complexities like maintaining a link between two systems, vehicle footprints etc etc.
Yeah it would be, which again prove that it is more of a static air defence system rather then a mobile one. But to deploy it in some extreme terrain would be a challenge in its current form.

Bleh

Laughing member
Country flag
Try to fire it on move, in all probability it would simply topple down. Try to move it on a mountainous terrain, the result would be same.
Whoa there! Let's not get completely bonkers here. It won't be fired on move.

Nonetheless if you actually see its latest version then both the CIWS have the auto-cannons same height... And if CG is too high (unlikely by the render) , then the midsection of the truck's chasis could be brought down.

Nonetheless what I meant was it will have to clear nightmarish trials before getting inducted, any real or imaginary platform shortcomings will be sorted out.

Chinmoy

Country flag
Whoa there! Let's not get completely bonkers here. It won't be fired on move.

Nonetheless if you actually see its latest version then both the CIWS have the auto-cannons same height... And if CG is too high (unlikely by the render) , then the midsection of the truck's chasis could be brought down.

Nonetheless what I meant was it will have to clear nightmarish trials before getting inducted, any real or imaginary platform shortcomings will be sorted out.
index.jpg

Here it is in person. Look at it and do the calculation on how to move it. Even on a straight road in high speed, there is huge change of it getting toppled over.

Chinmoy

Country flag
I dont knew that much about this weapons but we will likely procure the Pantasir SA 2 system under a ToT.
May be, but latest news is that we would make it inhouse. Don't know how much time would it take.

Bleh

Laughing member
Country flag
View attachment 59542
Here it is in person. Look at it and do the calculation on how to move it. Even on a straight road in high speed, there is huge change of it getting toppled over.
Oh yeah. That one won't be clearing any trials 😅, but not the same thing as the one in 3D render. Most likely was just a tech demo.

Nonetheless I remain an advocate of using tracked trucks to mount military equipment like arty or MLRS.

Global Defence

New threads

Articles