DRDO, PSU and Private Defence Sector News

Karthi

Country flag
Unions plan indefinite strike against move to corporatise Ordnance Factories Published

June 2, 2020 | By admin SOURCE: THE HINDU The three major federations of workers in 41 Ordnance Factories across the country have started preparing for an indefinite strike against the proposed corporatisation of the Ordnance Factories Board. The federations, including the Left-leaning All India Defence Employees Federation, the INTUC-affiliate Indian National Defence Workers Federation and the BMS-led Bharatiya Pratiraksha Mazdoor Sangh, will hold strike ballots in all the factories and other establishments under OFB between June 8 and June 17 to assess the response of 82,000 defence workers. The federations will issue an indefinite strike notice to the Department of Defence Production after the strike ballot. The organisations reminded Defence Minister Rajnath Singh in a joint letter that the Centre had assured the workers during an indefinite strike in August last year that a High Level Official Committee (HLOC) will interact with the federations to examine the stand taken by the workers that Ordnance Factories should not be corporatised. ‘Arbitrary move’ The letter said that when all the issues raised by the Federations are yet to be settled with the Centre, the Finance Minister announced the “arbitrary decision” of corporatisation, “especially when the employees are engaged in the production of PPEs required for the frontline warriors fighting against the spread of Covid-19.” A joint statement of the federations said that since there is no positive response from the Centre, they should proceed with the indefinite strike preparations. “Accordingly, it is hereby directed that all the Affiliated Unions in the Ordnance Factories, shall take Strike Ballot between June 8 and June 17 on any convenient date suitable for the Unions depending upon the local situation,” the statement said. AIDEF’s General Secretary, C Srikumar, said the demands of the workers include withdrawal of the “arbitrary, illegal and unjustified decision” taken by the Centre to convert the Ordnance Factories into a Corporate/PSU and to list them in the share market. “Conversion of the OFB into a Corporation/PSU and listing the same in the share market will be only the beginning for its liquidation which is not in the interest of the defence preparedness and the Atmanirbhar Bharat Abiyan mission announced by the Honourable Prime Minister,” said the federations’ letter

If it corporatism they need to work 😊 they only want money . We are the fool's here these politicians and top level officers in IAF, Navy and Army just want promotions ,money, improving there personal life etc there is no patriotism no responsibility

IndianHawk

Country flag
I have got a question

Is the govt/Pvt sector working on a stealth bomber , any info ?

Don't mention ghatak
Any such project could be taken on only after amca and ghatak development.

Besides I have a feeling after failure of fgfa Russian will propose for joint development of pak da bomber pretty soon.

shuvo@y2k10

Country flag
No need to waste money on Russians. They will only take the money in the name of joint development, while the actual aircraft design is already done, similar to what happened in PAK-FA programme.
In our case, bomber is not a must have requirement like fighters within a time-frame, and number required will be low: 40-50. Also, it is expected to remain in service for a long time. So if bomber project is sanctioned, we should go for indigenous flying wing design. That can only commence after Ghatak prototype developed.

Chinmoy

Country flag
Aww hostile much?

Its not a biker vest by the way, its a cooling vest. They are worn even by construction workers working in hot climates.

If its any consolation to you, I HAVE worn the very same vest I was talking about under my riding jacket and rode my motorcycle all the way from Delhi to Tanot, which by the way happens to be in the Thar.

As for the coolant based system with pipes running into the the vest, I'd like to know how many such systems are actually in service around the world, because I havent found any till now.

As for this, if everything had to be done by the citizens themselves, then there would've never been a system of governments in the first place anywhere in the world.
Kindly think if what you're saying makes any sense.

I am only giving a simpler alternative to a problem. What actually comes into service, or if it comes into service at all, will of course be decided by the powers that be.
Oh no no no.... I am not trying to be hostile here. Sorry if it felt so. I am sure that if it could protect you while riding a bike, it would also protect you inside a tank.

BTW regarding your second point of how much such systems are in service around world. May be this link would throw light on how people are wasting money.

armyofhind

Country flag
Oh no no no.... I am not trying to be hostile here. Sorry if it felt so. I am sure that if it could protect you while riding a bike, it would also protect you inside a tank.

BTW regarding your second point of how much such systems are in service around world. May be this link would throw light on how people are wasting money.

The link that you've given here only shows what products are made by a company, it doesn't talk of anything being in service.
that article is from 2010.

here are some more recent mentions of people who've been in the thick of armoured combat in a desert much more recently.

None of the accounts talk of a tethered cooling system in service.

Here is an account of aircrew using tethered cooling systems available onboard helicopters, which by the way, have far more internal space for moving around than a tank.

This is what it says on here -

"Helicopter pilots and their crews already use aircraft-mounted cooling systems to beat the heat. But while these systems have been shown to improve endurance and performance levels in hot climates, many crewmembers avoid using them because they tend to be inconvenient.

Such onboard cooling devices are equipped with tethers (Same as the DRDO variant) that soldiers need to attach themselves to in order to cool down. But moving around the back of a cramped helicopter on a tether is no easy feat, the researchers said. "

Make of it what you will.. this is the last from me on this.

WolfPack86

Country flag
Government likely to issue draft defence production and export promotion policy soon
A draft defence production and export promotion policy is likely to be issued within a month, the Centre said on Tuesday, noting that this will give a major push to the ‘Make in India’ programme.

“We are currently in the process of drafting the defence production and export promotion policy and hopefully, within a month or so, we would like to put it in public domain for seeking your feedback and comments which will be covering all aspects of what the finance minister announced on 16th of May,” Defence Production Secretary Raj Kumar said at a webinar attended by various defence companies.

On May 16, Finance Minister Nirmala Sitharaman had announced a series of initiatives to promote indigenous defence production which included making separate budgetary outlay to procure Indian-made military hardware, increasing FDI limit from 49 per cent to 74 per cent under the automatic route and generating a year-wise negative list of weapons whose import won’t be allowed.

Kumar said that in “addition to indigenisation, to give a push to ‘Make in India’, to seek substitute of imported items, all those and number of those other similar things will be there as a part of the defence production and export promotion policy”.

Latest Replies

Global Defence

New threads

Articles